Justin Smith transferring

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh I agree. I’m I don’t think we will see a different smith. Maybe more efficient Justin but I don’t see big increase for him. Just saying Musselman is a good coach for teaching what he lacks..so I understand the idea...even if I doubt much changes.

I would argue that he has a good system for what JS want to showcase and use.  Every high division 1 coach can develop players, all of them run the same drills, etc.  Running a 5 out 41 in the SEC opens things up for Justin. 

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I almost posted that article myself.  It looks like we didn't drop any for losing Justin, but Arkansas moved up two stpots by gaining him.  

Weird.  In a strange kind of way. The Arkansas fans are happy to have Justin. I visited one Arkansas board. Who the guy that runs the site, talked only about Justin's basketball. So I posted about his graduation from IU's prestigious Kelley School of Business in three years.  And that Justin was a Big Ten all academic student.   That post got 70 likes.

Take care PJ. Hope you and little keet are doing well.

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I almost posted that article myself.  It looks like we didn't drop any for losing Justin, but Arkansas moved up two stpots by gaining him.  

It might have been another site but I thought it dropped from 21 to 23 when he announced he was leaving.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Weird.  In a strange kind of way. The Arkansas fans are happy to have Justin. I visited one Arkansas board. Who the guy that runs the site, talked only about Justin's basketball. So I posted about his graduation from IU's prestigious Kelley School of Business in three years.  And that Justin was a Big Ten all academic student.   That post got 70 likes.

Take care PJ. Hope you and little keet are doing well.

Arkansas has a very loyal and proud fan base across all sports. They are also smart enough fans to realize their pecking order right now. When they grab a kid from IU they know it means they have a coach....and maybe just maybe they could crack that top 4 in the SEC soon. UK, Florida, Auburn, LSU right now.....but 2 of those schools could be in trouble. 

Wish Justin the best. 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That article pretty much substantiated every thing this board has been saying...

"I left (Indiana) because my family and I felt that it was best to explore other opportunities, to maybe go to a place where my skill set and abilities are accentuated and where I can flourish a little bit more," said Smith"

"On the wing, at the '3,' is where I think I have my most upside," Smith said. "Through conversations with (Arkansas) they've been telling me that they will utilize me at that spot."

Good luck, kid...

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That article pretty much substantiated every thing this board has been saying...

"I left (Indiana) because my family and I felt that it was best to explore other opportunities, to maybe go to a place where my skill set and abilities are accentuated and where I can flourish a little bit more," said Smith"

"On the wing, at the '3,' is where I think I have my most upside," Smith said. "Through conversations with (Arkansas) they've been telling me that they will utilize me at that spot."

Good luck, kid...

Yep. At least he mentioned the family influence. Wish him well. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Good luck, kid...

I can't argue with anything he said here...I just hope he finds a shot, softer hands and a dribbling handle.  I'm not sure he realizes just how hard it will be to develop that skill-set in a single season when he couldn't in three at IU.

As many, including myself have surmised, it's also obvious Archie told him he'd be used at the four this upcoming season.  Good luck, Justin.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Good luck, kid...

There will have to be some "social time" sacrifices for JS to get in the large amount of work needed for him to fit the mold he envisions for himself.  Best of luck to him.

He might want to be a 3 but i would bet you by mid season, he is playing a 4 that slips out to the 3 point line.  Just like IU used him.  The kids doesn't have the handles, shooting skill, or confidence to make it as a 3.  He should be picking and popping to the rim or slashing the baseline for easy buckets and working to get 12+ rebounds a game with his big body and elite athleticism.  He is so trying to force himself into a mold that doesn't fit him.

I wish him the best.

On 6/15/2020 at 4:21 PM, IowaHoosierFan said:

He might want to be a 3 but i would bet you by mid season, he is playing a 4 that slips out to the 3 point line.  Just like IU used him.  The kids doesn't have the handles, shooting skill, or confidence to make it as a 3.  He should be picking and popping to the rim or slashing the baseline for easy buckets and working to get 12+ rebounds a game with his big body and elite athleticism.  He is so trying to force himself into a mold that doesn't fit him.

I wish him the best.

Exactly right. I typically do not follow a kid once he transfers but I'll be watching to see how it turns out for Justin. Sounds like Arkansas is going to give him the position he wants and flexibility to play how he wants. So, if he excels I'd expect to hear him and his family with the 'I told you so'. If he falls on his face, who will they blame? If the facts don't change - cannot shoot or dribble - then he really hasn't accomplished much with a transfer because his issues at IU were not a lack of starts or minutes.

I don't want to seem insensitive....but can we PLEASE let this go and close this thread?

He made a decision based on his wants and needs. Case closed for goodness sake.

Let's focus on the new guys, and returning guys. Hardly any posts for the video of Anthony and Jordan. Seems to me that current thread should be 23 pages...

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Exactly right. I typically do not follow a kid once he transfers but I'll be watching to see how it turns out for Justin. Sounds like Arkansas is going to give him the position he wants and flexibility to play how he wants. So, if he excels I'd expect to hear him and his family with the 'I told you so'. If he falls on his face, who will they blame? If the facts don't change - cannot shoot or dribble - then he really hasn't accomplished much with a transfer because his issues at IU were not a lack of starts or minutes.

If I see Arkansas on TV, I'll check it out for a bit as well.

Archived