Justin Smith transferring

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Well with the addition of Lander and Jerome getting back to full strength I believe Archie was planning on playing Jerome at the 3 or a 3 guard lineup mostly. 

Agree. I was just quoting IUFLA saying that Smith was going to play the same role he did last year. Which isn't the case. 

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

So... what Justin Smith is giving up

-chance to be all defense big ten

-chance at a conference championship 

-play on a team that will be in the NCAAT and have a chance at a Sw16 run

-be the SR leader and captain 

-score 1000 points at IU

...none of that was A big deal to Justin, why should I feel like it's a big deal that he transferred? I don't. 

Don't know... ask Scott. His schtick is gettin' old, imo....

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

What schtick is that? Like seeing IU fans being adults and not ripping kids who worked their butt of for IU.

Also this is one time I wished I was wrong because I said before last season started that this would be Smith's last season at IU.

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I was just quoting IUFLA saying that Smith was going to play the same role he did last year. Which isn't the case. 

So, you don't think Archie was going to play the same frontcourt he did for all 32 games last year?

I’m happy for JS getting a awesome degree, it will pay tremendous dividends in his future! 

I have probably cussed and screamed at my tv about his play more so than any other player ever!! 

IU will be fine! I’m very excited about our freshman class and the future!!

10 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I do not always agree with Scott. But I would not call it a schtick. 

It is clear where he stands, and he is pretty consistent in his thoughts.....even if wrong.    ;)

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

HAs Hunter shown the ability to stop a high scoring wing defensively.  Yes or no.  

Why try to define his potential contribution next season by a one-question-result-oriented question about his ability to stop a "high scoring wing defensively?" 

I don't mean to draw out this discussion, but he CLEARLY contributed well by the end of last season and was one of our better players, he clearly improved his outside shooting (his percentages jumped on a game by game basis by end of season), and his D improved. I already said his D has been an area he needs to continue to grow -- and AGAIN, how surprising is that for a guy who missed an entire year of any basketball?

I'm not going to dis on Smith. I liked a lot of what he brought to the table. But he was not, in any way shape or form, a perimeter offensive player, his handle continues to need a lot of work, he was not, at all, a playmaker from the wing, and his D -- very good generally on ball -- was not good off ball.

Once again, they are apples and oranges anyway. They do not play the same position (please don't rehash the wing discussion, Smith is clearly not a wing). 

Regardless, defining Hunter's contribution next season on what he has shown in his first year back, ignoring everything else, to stop a "high scoring wing defensively" has no real basis to me.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What schtick is that? Like seeing IU fans being adults and not ripping kids who worked their butt of for IU.

Also this is one time I wished I was wrong because I said before last season started that this would be Smith's last season at IU.

There has been very little, if any, bashing. There has been a lot of discussing of Smith's strengths and weaknesses and how losing both will impact the team. 

I still think when you lose the guy who played the most minutes on your team(30.4) and a senior it will hurt.  If CAM thought Justin was a problem then why did he play him so many minutes last year.  Do I think it will totally kill the season, no but it leaves us with a smaller margin of error.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So, you don't think Archie was going to play the same frontcourt he did for all 32 games last year?

No, I don't. I think Smith would have been happy with that. All indications are he wants to play wing and didn't want to play the 4 (which is the spot he should be playing).

Just now, BGleas said:

There has been very little, if any, bashing. There has been a lot of discussing of Smith's strengths and weaknesses and how losing both will impact the team. 

Agreed. There has been some (unfortunate)  dissing but for the most part, most posts have complimented him or aspects of his game while also pointing out weaknesses and how other players may fill those gaps. Discussing weaknesses in a player's game is not bashing.

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...what we've seen historically from CAM is if you aren't playing defense, you aren't playing period...

I think @Brass Cannon had it pegged. He got feedback from NBA folks that said he needed to expand his perimeter skills, and CAM wasn't going to let him... He was going to play the same role he did last year... 

Hunter's minutes and role continued to grow throughout the season. His D needs to continue to grow, but he was deservedly getting more minutes as he continued to impact the game more and more throughout the season.

Disagree on the pegging thing. Very unlikely CAM would trot out the same 3-forward lineup after adding Lander and with Hunter's and Race's growth. If he was going to trot out the same, Smith would likely still be a Hoosier. The NBA feedback (he's not making the NBA, clearly) came a long time ago. The Lander reclass was recent as was CAM's talk with him - the talk that led to his decision.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No, I don't. I think Smith would have been happy with that. All indications are he wants to play wing and didn't want to play the 4 (which is the spot he should be playing).

I disagree. I don't think he wanted to play the role, call it what you want...3, wing, 4 whatever, he played last year. I think he wanted more opportunities to shoot from the outside and Archie wasn't going to go for that.

Neither one of us knows for sure, but I would have been shocked if CAM had altered his lineup... 

My $.02, for what it's worth. Losing Smith hurts defensively, but more so on the wing than in the post. I personally thought Race was better defensively in the paint last year, but Justin was a very solid defender on the perimeter given his size. The depth in the post is also a concern, especially come B1G season. I agree that finding a grad transfer at this late date might be tough, but we really only need someone who can provide some muscle for ~5 minutes per game, while defending adequately, grabbing a few boards, and being a positive contributor in practice and the locker room. I'd like to think that guy is out there, and would jump at the chance to don the candy stripes for a year, but I admittedly haven't looked to see who is still available.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I disagree. I don't think he wanted to play the role, call it what you want...3, wing, 4 whatever, he played last year. I think he wanted more opportunities to shoot from the outside and Archie wasn't going to go for that.

Neither one of us knows for sure, but I would have been shocked if CAM had altered his lineup... 

I'm confused. Smith played the 3/wing last year. That was his opportunity to shoot from the outside and he was bad at it. He wanted to stay on the perimeter, and rightly so that wasn't going to happen next season, he was going to go back to the 4 where he is much better suited. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

20 of 80 from 3 in 3 years.  

I mean at some point you have to create your opportunity. Smith was given plenty of chances to prove he can dribble, pass and shoot. The guy played 30mpg as a wing player last year. Shoot 37% instead of 25% and you'll be allowed to shoot open 3's all day long. He had the chance to create his own opportunity for two years as IU desperately needed perimeter shooting and he couldn't do it. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I mean at some point you have to create your opportunity. Smith was given plenty of chances to prove he can dribble, pass and shoot. The guy played 30mpg as a wing player last year. Shoot 37% instead of 25% and you'll be allowed to shoot open 3's all day long. He had the chance to create his own opportunity for two years as IU desperately needed perimeter shooting and he couldn't do it. 

37%.. hell shoot 32%.

He hit 15% of his total 3s mad in one game. MSU his SO year. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm confused. Smith played the 3/wing last year. That was his opportunity to shoot from the outside and he was bad at it. He wanted to stay on the perimeter, and rightly so that wasn't going to happen next season, he was going to go back to the 4 where he is much better suited. 

He shot 1.2 threes per game last year. I think the sticking point with Archie is Justin wanted the freedom to shoot more from the perimeter, and CAM wasn't having that.

You, yourself said he didn't have the skills to play the 3

And I agree, he doesn't. But I'll bet the NBA feedback was he needed to develop those skills, and he wasn't going to be given that liberty.

To me, you and @Hoosierhoopster are suggesting that a player that hasn't played one minute of college basketball or a guy who couldn't beat Justin out for a job last year were going to replace either Justin or Joey in the starting Lineup of a team that was 20-12 and would have made the tourney...

Believe that if you want...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

He shot 1.2 threes per game last year. I think the sticking point with Archie is Justin wanted the freedom to shoot more from the perimeter, and CAM wasn't having that.

You, yourself said he didn't have the skills to play the 3

And I agree, he doesn't. But I'll bet the NBA feedback was he needed to develop those skills, and he wasn't going to be given that liberty.

To me, youand @Hoosierhoopster are suggesting that a player that hasn't played one minute of college basketball or a guy who couldn't beat Justin out for a job last year were going to replace either Justin or Joey in the starting Lineup of a team that was 20-12 and would have made the tourney...

Believe that if you want...

I mean, if you want to be able to shoot more from the 3 how about you hit a few? He only shot 1.2 three's a game because he's a horrible 3pt shooter, not because he wasn't given a chance. He shot 25% for his career, and as BtownQB pointed out 15% of the 3's he hit in his career were in one game two seasons ago. 

He played the wing last year and had every chance to be a shooter and someone who dribble-drives from the wing and it went horribly wrong. I'm not going to sit here and say I know who was going to start next season, but I think it's pretty safe to assume both Race and Hunter were going to eat into his time. So yes, he was going to play less next season and the minutes he would have gotten were going to be at the position he's actually serviceable at (the 4). 

Archived