Do You Jerky ?

Either store bought.... and what one is your favorite ?  Or home made... which the mile family does.

We have a professional meat slicer  to get the slices right.  As the grocery meat men normally don't get it the right slice. Plus it is good for slicing meat for Chicago Style Beef sandwiches.

Helpful hint. When cutting beef for jerky. Put it into a freezer for about an hour, before cutting.  Makes it easier to cut.

I have seen people make jerky in their oven or grill. I prefer a dehydrator , which like the meat slicer we bought at our local Cabella's.

As for the meat. We prefer Top or Bottom Round.  Whichever is on sale at the store at the time. However that is not the only type of meat that can be used.

Marinate ?  Yes.  We do all kinds. Overnight is best.  But need to dry with a paper towel to get the excess off before finishing the task.

Here is just one suggestion :

Doc's Best Beef Jerky 

Mile, love this thread! I’ve really wanted to start making my own jerky, just haven’t but the bullet on it yet. 

However, I’m a big jerky fan. We have this place by our local Bass Pro, and also there is a store where we vacation in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN. Have amazing kinds of different flavors. 
https://www.beefjerkyoutlet.com/saintcharles

3 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Mile, love this thread! I’ve really wanted to start making my own jerky, just haven’t but the bullet on it yet. 

However, I’m a big jerky fan. We have this place by our local Bass Pro, and also there is a store where we vacation in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN. Have amazing kinds of different flavors. 
https://www.beefjerkyoutlet.com/saintcharles

There is nothing like home made jerky.  Plenty of on line and You Tube videos on how to do it.  Check them out.  As far as slicing.  A sharp knife works well. And jerky can be done in an oven.  No need to spend money on a slicer or dehydrator.  And plenty of marinades on line and on You Tube as well. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

There is nothing like home made jerky.  Plenty of on line and You Tube videos on how to do it.  Check them out.  As far as slicing.  A sharp knife works well. And jerky can be done in an oven.  No need to spend money on a slicer or dehydrator.  And plenty of marinades on line and on You Tube as well. 

Thanks and sounds good. Being a home owner the last 4 years, I’ve really dove in on cooking, grilling, projects, etc. Hope this will be my next venture :)

I use ground turkey 93/7 with nesco seasoning and cure. I like the hot & spicy, while the wife likes teriyaki.  I double the season recommendations to give it some kick.  I also mix it up the day before to let the seasoning blend in the meat. I pull it out of the fridge about two hours before I start putting it in the jerky gun.   I  have never tried smoking it.  

Archived