Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

Didn’t see an outdoor thread, so thought I would start one (sorry if there is one, didn’t see one when I searched for it). I love to fish, would like to hike more but it hard with  a 3 year and 9 month old. We might go hiking tomorrow late morning after I get back from fishing :) lol. 

Where I live there are not many good places to fish, but we have a good sized pond in our subdivision. Has your typical stuff here, Bass, Crappie, and Blue Gill/Sunfish. I have caught one catfish in almost 4 years in our subdivision, which was a decent sized channel, but that’s been it. I was told catfish and crappie were fished out, but there are some good sized crapped that I catch almost every time out. Only thing that stinks is that most of the Bass are small, I’m lucky to catch one over 10 inches. 

I really want to get into hunting, as my in-laws are big into it. Never had much of an opportunity to, but would like to and be able to teach my kids.

I love hiking in the Smokey Mountains, good waterfalls and a good variety of difficulty. I will post some pictures soon from our last trip there a couple years ago. We were supposed to go this year for vacation, but got postponed to next year because of the virus. Wasn’t worth the 8 hour drive if things were potentially going to be closed. 

How about everyone else?

• Like 4

Primarily trout in Colorado. Walking distance to Cherry Creek State Park from my house. Where the state stocks the water with trout, and walleye, at least twice a year.  I like to check when the state has stocked the water.  Those guys are the dumbest and easiest to catch. Over time, even though the have grown. They become smarter and harder to catch.  LOL

Thanks for starting this thread Justin.  Beautiful family you have there.

• Like 4

I’ve been camping my whole life. I never really got into hunting and I’ve only really fished when I was in the boundary waters and the alternative to eating fresh fish was freeze dried meals. Now I climb mountains. This is my favorite “feet on the beach” pic (taking a break on my way up Torreys peak).

630D1391-D4E3-4418-80DF-B32BFBAB7957.jpeg

• Like 9

My kids are both big into Bass fishing, but I've never got "hooked" on it myself. 

I like to spend time on the water. Canoeing, jet sking, pontooning. Learned to water ski in my 20s and wish i could do that more. 

My wife and I like to travel and hike. Basically day hikes, nothing overnight. Have hiked some fantastic places. Sedona, a glacier in AK, Yellowstone, and last summer in Banff and Glacier National Parks. Love hiking in the mountains but probably not as hard core as @SteveS ^^^.  1000' elevation over 4 hours or so is my max. 

My wife was very nervous about crossing the frozen waterfall on this narrow ledge. Think it took about 5 minutes for her to get up the confidence. 

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

20190209_103604.jpg

20170622_125715.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 7

Growing up in Gary, Indiana.  I always loved going fishing for perch with my dad in and along Lake Michigan.  Loved going to the pier at Michigan City.  Always caught perch.

But my favorite memory is from when my dad rented a boat off of Miller Beach in the Miller section of Gary.  Lake Michigan. We stopped first to get a full bucket of minnows for bait.  Never far from shore, we landed in a huge school of perch.  Catch one.  Put another minnow on.  The bucket we had for the perch became full, so we just put the perch in the boat. Ran out of minnows in short time. My dad started putting gum on his and my hook. Perch kept biting. Ran out of gum. So my dad took buttons off of his shirt.  Perch hit on them as well.  

Boat bottom  filled up with perch.  Dad, said... I think we have caught enough for today.

Landed the boat on the beach. Guy who ran the  boat place came out for his boat. Took one look in the boat.  And said...."How do you plan on getting all those fish home ? "

Now... my dad was one who saw a car as nothing more than something to get from one place to another.  And told the guy.  Pull the boat up to my car. And " I will put them in the trunk of the car."  Which we did.  Car trunk had a deep lip.  And we filled the trunk with Perch.  Got home. Dad parked the car in the alley behind our house. Called every relative and family friend, and neighbor. Saying...." Come and get all the fresh Perch you want."   And they did !

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 4

My wife loves hiking. Her goal is to hike the Appalachian Trail. Because of work she has to do it in sections. So far she has hiked from the starting point in Georgia to Fontana Dam, North Carolina. Hopefully this fall she can resume her quest. Her first time on the trail she hiked with her cousin and last February she went by herself. I have attached a couple pictures of her all geared up.

IMG_20200225_083759957.jpg

IMG_20190504_083222885.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Tammy and I just got back from the lake.  It was a scorcher at 92 degrees.  Fish were not biting but Tammy worked on her tan.  We had 3 bites and I caught one small redear.

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

Love the pics. Do more !

92 in Northern Indiana.  And been snowing so much in the Mountains this weekend, that one Ski Resort is opening back up.  So much demand for reservations.... that their web site crashed this past Sunday. 

43 minutes ago, rico said:

Tammy and I just got back from the lake.  It was a scorcher at 92 degrees.  Fish were not biting but Tammy worked on her tan.  We had 3 bites and I caught one small redear.

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

She did get some sun. I am going fishing in the morning. It will be the last time for a while as I am finally having hip replacement surgery on Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

She did get some sun. I am going fishing in the morning. It will be the last time for a while as I am finally having hip replacement surgery on Monday.

Best wishes on your surgery.  Finally... elective surgeries able to take place during this pandemic.  Will be saying a prayer for you this Sunday. Listen to your doctor, and your therapist.