Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

My wife loves hiking. Her goal is to hike the Appalachian Trail. Because of work she has to do it in sections. So far she has hiked from the starting point in Georgia to Fontana Dam, North Carolina. Hopefully this fall she can resume her quest. Her first time on the trail she hiked with her cousin and last February she went by herself. I have attached a couple pictures of her all geared up.

IMG_20200225_083759957.jpg

IMG_20190504_083222885.jpg

That's great! Smokies and the App Trail are on my list. There is also the Pacific Coast Trail out west. I'm not going to delusion myself in biting off too much. Would be happy to just get in some of t he more scenic sections. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Best wishes on your surgery.  Finally... elective surgeries able to take place during this pandemic.  Will be saying a prayer for you this Sunday. Listen to your doctor, and your therapist. 

Thank you my friend. Mile my wife is a nurse so I will be listening to her first if you know what I mean. Lol

Ok, two crazy stories/ quite true I assure you.

First I remember me and my older brother went fishing at the Yellow River in Bremen Indiana, my hometown, we could walk to the river in 10 minutes- the fish were biting so well we quickly ran out of bait- my brother says “ I bet I can catch on an empty hook”, needles to say he cast out an empty hook and catches a bluegill. 

Second story, me and my other olde brother have always fished together and have fished hundreds of times together. Spring time down here in Kentucky we like to seine rocky bottom creeks for hellgrammites / which are larvae form of a Dobson Fly. If anyone doesn’t know what one is, they are a leathery little creature with multiple legs and a pretty decent set of pinchers, smallmouth and rock bass absolutely love them, long story short, I caught a medium size rock bass 7-8 inches and reel it in- go to unhook and find I never had it hooked at all - when the fish went to eat the bait the bait had pinched into its gills and that’s how I reeled it in, my bait caught the fish 🎣. Best story and sorry it’s a poorly told and typed story. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, H00sier said:

First I remember me and my older brother went fishing at the Yellow River in Bremen Indiana, my hometown, we could walk to the river in 10 minutes- the fish were biting so well we quickly ran out of bait- my brother says “ I bet I can catch on an empty hook”, needles to say he cast out an empty hook and catches a bluegill. 

Second story, me and my other olde brother have always fished together and have fished hundreds of times together. Spring time down here in Kentucky we like to seine rocky bottom creeks for hellgrammites / which are larvae form of a Dobson Fly. If anyone doesn’t know what one is, they are a leathery little creature with multiple legs and a pretty decent set of pinchers, smallmouth and rock bass absolutely love them, long story short, I caught a medium size rock bass 7-8 inches and reel it in- go to unhook and find I never had it hooked at all - when the fish went to eat the bait the bait had pinched into its gills and that’s how I reeled it in, my bait caught the fish 🎣. Best story and sorry it’s a poorly told and typed story. 

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

I talked earlier about catching perch. Often times you don't even know if you have caught one.... till you pick up the line.   On the other hand....

Mention earlier of how some fish fight. Any one ever hook on to a Bullhead ? 

1 hour ago, H00sier said:

I have done alot of creek walking and seiened for crawfish, for catfish bait.

But I will not touch a hellgremmite. Those things are mean. 

47 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

I talked earlier about catching perch. Often times you don't even know if you have caught one.... till you pick up the line.   On the other hand....

Mention earlier of how some fish fight. Any one ever hook on to a Bullhead ? 

I have caught a bullhead a time or two.  For me, blue cats and carp are the hardest fighting fish I've caught.  Cant eat them, really oily, but fun to fight.

18 minutes ago, H00sier said:

I’ve caught many bullheads. I think carp are good fighters- flatheads pull hard. But bluegills on micro rods are hard to beat:)

The channel cat I posted a pic of earlier in the thread was caught on an ultralight with 4lb test with a cricket as bait. Was fishing bluegill beds.

Agree, fishing bluegill with ultralight rods is the best. 

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have caught a bullhead a time or two.  For me, blue cats and carp are the hardest fighting fish I've caught.  Cant eat them, really oily, but fun to fight.

Oh yeah.  Agree with you on carp. I forgot about them.  As a kid, I remember taking up to one hour to land a big carp.  It was fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have done alot of creek walking and seiened for crawfish, for catfish bait.

But I will not touch a hellgremmite. Those things are mean. 

I also did a fair amount of seining and wading while fishing with my dad when I was young.  Dad had lots of fishing stories and loved to retell them, of course, and he'd embellish them from time to time.  So, he told my brother and me...and others, that he had once met a fisherman who kept his bait, hellgrammites, under his fishing hat.  The guy told dad he kept his hat wet and cool so the hellgrammites were calm.  LOL....as a kid, I always believed my dad and the story.  But looking back now.......hahaha....I'm not so sure that wasn't my dad enjoying himself at our expense.   God love him....how he loved to fish!   😁

• Like 1

Heck no, I wouldn’t want a hellgramite under my hat, been pinch plenty of times and they hurt. 

Going off on a tangent here, I’ve worked in the roofing industry since I graduated. Back years and years when I still replaced shingle roofs me and a good friend of mine would subcontract from a local company. I recall doing a roof that had wasp in the vents on a hip roof we were doing . Wasp would come out and fly around you every time we were banging down shingles, we would use our ball caps and swat them away or down on roof and step on them. Once again long story short, on the way that evening I had stopped at a friends house and raised hat to wipe my forehead and got stung dead in the middle of my forehead, one of the wasp had got in the band of my hat and been stuck so it couldn’t move or sting but I freed it to sting me when I went to wipe my head - I was like wtf. 🤷🏻‍♂️