Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

5 hours ago, rico said:

We used to snag them below a spillway here in Iowa, and oh boy, you better hang on.  There were several that took all of the line on our reels and never slowed down.  However, I have never eaten them, but have heard they are tasty. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BDB said:

We used to snag them below a spillway here in Iowa, and oh boy, you better hang on.  There were several that took all of the line on our reels and never slowed down.  However, I have never eaten them, but have heard they are tasty. 

I have heard they are tasty myself.  But if I ever catch one it will be garden fertilizer.  Can't get past that carp thing.

6 hours ago, rico said:

I have heard they are tasty myself.  But if I ever catch one it will be garden fertilizer.  Can't get past that carp thing.

When I lived in Indy as a kid we called them White River Bass. Carp is actually very good if you know how to clean it. I have tried it but I prefer gills, crappie and medium sized channel catfish. 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

When I lived in Indy as a kid we called them White River Bass. Carp is actually very good if you know how to clean it. I have tried it but I prefer gills, crappie and medium sized channel catfish. 

You can eat the carp.  I will stick to walleye, perch, and panfish.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

New pub/restaurant down the street is serving a really nice fried walleye sandwich with side of fries...mmmm so very tasty!  We will be eating those on Friday during Lenten season.

Only place I can get walleye around here is friggin Culvers... :( 

• Sad 1

Anybody ever eaten Amberjack?

When I lived on The Redneck Riviera (Florida Panhandle) every place had a grilled or fried Amberjack sandwich. I always loved it. One of my wife's cousins visited from West Palm Beach and said down there it was a trash fish...

They fished it out down there and didn't have any the last 3 or so years I was there...

Got down here, went to a restaurant called Babin's, and I'll be damned if the didn't have it on the fresh catch menu...Great stuff...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Anybody ever eaten Amberjack?

When I lived on The Redneck Riviera (Florida Panhandle) every place had a grilled or fried Amberjack sandwich. I always loved it. One of my wife's cousins visited from West Palm Beach and said down there it was a trash fish...

They fished it out down there and didn't have any the last 3 or so years I was there...

Got down here, went to a restaurant called Babin's, and I'll be damned if the didn't have it on the fresh catch menu...Great stuff...

"Redneck Riviera?"  That is what I call my place!  LOL

• 2 weeks later...