Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

20 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My first trip to Key West I went on Tarpon fishing trip. Before the trip was over the guide put us on a cooler full of sheepshead. Took them to a local restaurant and they cooked them up. Also had a Spanish mackerel and hogfish.  Probably the best seafood meal I've had. 

My friends and I used to go Tarpon fishing in the Keys every year during the winter! One year my friend decided he wanted to try his hand at Bonefish! He caught a Snook instead! We took it to our favorite watering hole, restaurant for them to cook it. Everyone there told us what a treasure we had.! Have to say the best fish I have ever eaten, there was leftovers and we let the staff have it. We were heroes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Musky at the Lake Wingra dam, 10 minutes from my house here in Madison (Wisconsin).  Season opened May 1.  This is for @ricoand anyone else who might enjoy it.

muskies 2.JPG

muskies 3.JPG

Muskies are "worshipped" around me, but not by me.  

Cool pics...TY

18 hours ago, rico said:

LOL...I get to Marathon, Florida every now and then.  The Sheepshead(salt water variety) is a damn tasty fish, not like their freshwater brethren(Sheepshead=fresh water drum=trash fish in the state of Indiana).  

I'd never even heard of Drum until my wife ordered it at a Cajun restaurant in Baton Rouge...She liked it, but I wasn't impressed (and it was saltwater Drum I think)...

Just now, IUFLA said:

I'd never even heard of Drum until my wife ordered it at a Cajun restaurant in Baton Rouge...She liked it, but I wasn't impressed (and it was saltwater Drum I think)...

The Sheepshead I had was out of Marathon, Fla.  I wouldn't want to clean one of them but they tasted great.  But I must admit I was FUBAR at the time of dining!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

The Sheepshead I had was out of Marathon, Fla.  I wouldn't want to clean one of them but they tasted great.  But I must admit I was FUBAR at the time of dining!

One time I was pier fishing in FL, a Vietnamese family was fishing nearby. Their teenage son shimmied down the pier pylons to the water and scraped off barnacles. They were pulling in loads of sheepshead

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

One time I was pier fishing in FL, a Vietnamese family was fishing nearby. Their teenage son shimmied down the pier pylons to the water and scraped off barnacles. They were pulling in loads of sheepshead

Kung Pao sheepshead?  LOL

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 11:04 AM, rico said:

Muskies are "worshipped" around me, but not by me.  

Cool pics...TY

My first Muskie. I caught it a couple weeks ago fishing in shallow water for bass on the lake right across the street. It was about 40" and gave me one heck of a fight.

30301.jpeg

30302.jpeg

• Like 6

On 5/12/2021 at 11:07 AM, IUFLA said:

Used to go striper fishing at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky every summer. One year I caught a 30lb white drum. Heck of a fight and a cool looking fish. 

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Used to go striper fishing at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky every summer. One year I caught a 30lb white drum. Heck of a fight and a cool looking fish. 

Fresh water drum are different than saltwater ones...

53 minutes ago, rico said:

Fresh water drum are different than saltwater ones...

Me and my stepdad would spend weekends camping out on sandbars running trotlines and river nets. 

We caught everything imaginable.

But the things I remember most is fishing for perch and crappie in the evening. Yes you can catch panfish in a river or creek.

And the 65lb flathead we caught on the trotline.

• Like 3

Just wanted to add my two cents in here. I'm absolutely amazed at some of the stuff you fishing guys know. I was playing golf earlier with a guy from down South. Struck up a conversation around hole 5 about  Red Snapper fishing. I told him I know nada. I said I'm a let's chart a boat/sun/cold beer,etc...kind of guy. 

Basically went into all the rules, what bait, where to find....depths, I guess the season only runs 72 hours in SC,etc...

Anyway tip of the cap to you fishing guys. So much that goes into it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just wanted to add my two cents in here. I'm absolutely amazed at some of the stuff you fishing guys know. I was playing golf earlier with a guy from down South. Struck up a conversation around hole 5 about  Red Snapper fishing. I told him I know nada. I said I'm a let's chart a boat/sun/cold beer,etc...kind of guy. 

Basically went into all the rules, what bait, where to find....depths, I guess the season only runs 72 hours in SC,etc...

My grandpa probably forgot more about fishing than I ever learned.  He grew up in the Ozarks in SW Missouri during the depression.  Worked a family farm with about 2 miles of river on the property.  Fished there many times.

Fast forward, my grandpa, stepdad and I would put out river nets on the White river in the summers. When my Baptist church would have their annual tent revival/vacation bible school lunch would be all the fish we netted. 

One year we trapped a 54lb flathead. When we weighed fish I would get on a bathroom scale to get my weight, then I would pick up the fish get total weight and calculate.  

Well I never held a fish that big.  My grandpa said to reach in its mouth real quick, wrap my hand around its lower lip and let it bite down on my knuckles.  So I did. Ever since then I always grasp them by the lower lip. Other fishermen find this impressive for some reason. Better than being poked the the stingers. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My grandpa probably forgot more about fishing than I ever learned.  He grew up in the Ozarks in SW Missouri during the depression.  Worked a family farm with about 2 miles of river on the property.  Fished there many times.

Fast forward, my grandpa, stepdad and I would put out river nets on the White river in the summers. When my Baptist church would have their annual tent revival/vacation bible school lunch would be all the fish we netted. 

One year we trapped a 54lb flathead. When we weighed fish I would get on a bathroom scale to get my weight, then I would pick up the fish get total weight and calculate.  

Well I never held a fish that big.  My grandpa said to reach in its mouth real quick, wrap my hand around its lower lip and let it bite down on my knuckles.  So I did. Ever since then I always grasp them by the lower lip. Other fishermen find this impressive for some reason. Better than being poked the the stingers. 

See. That's the stuff this guy was talking about. We all have our talents. I've got a couple but I love learning about other peoples talents. He was discussing where and how and depths....and close to sunken boats for some reason. Anyway. Phenomenal strategy and stories that go into just fishing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

See. That's the stuff this guy was talking about. We all have our talents. I've got a couple but I love learning about other peoples talents. He was discussing where and how and depths....and close to sunken boats for some reason. Anyway. Phenomenal strategy and stories that go into just fishing. 

The lake I fished growing up and for years was Glendale FWA.  

Short tangent, I took a 300 level Aquatic Biology class in college, maybe my favorite or close 2nd to my karate class, but anyway I learned in the spring and fall lakes and ponds turn over.  

So when you see a lake or pond look brown and murky on top the water on the bottom is doing a counterclockwise circulation with the water on top. And about 6ft down is what's called a thermocline and that is the dividing line when water turns over. 

Anyway, a sunny day on Glendale, there is this 1 cove, if you position the boat just right, between 8-11 am from May-July you can look down at a 45 degree angle and see the bottom of the lake down to 15 feet. Like looking through a window.  Its wild. You can see the fish, the obstacles, your bait/lure. Everything.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Charter?  We don't need no stinking charter!  LOL

Funny thing about fishing.  It can be either simple or sophisticated but either way it can be both fun and "successful."  

But I would be lying if I told you that I didn't look at moon phases or the barometric pressure.  I also keep a close eye on weather fronts.  Underwater structure(s) are a blessing.  Certain birds can tip you off as to the location of fish.  Etc.

In any case, if there are members out there that want to wet a line just give me a shout.  I would be more than happy to take any of ya fishing.  All you need is a license.  I got everything else.

• Like 3