Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

Okay so just now a raccoon sauntered up on my porch and walked up within 5' of me before I yelled. Luckily he turned around, however as he walked off it seemed like he had an even more awkward walk than raccoons normally have. Certainly hope there isn't rabies or some other disease going around!!

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Okay so just now a raccoon sauntered up on my porch and walked up within 5' of me before I yelled. Luckily he turned around, however as he walked off it seemed like he had an even more awkward walk than raccoons normally have. Certainly hope there isn't rabies or some other disease going around!!

Based on the facts as we know them, I would suggest there is a more logical reason.

I think the neighbors left some watermelon rind in the compost with a slice or 2 of moldy bread. In the sun, the melon fermented with the yeast in the bread and the poor feller is drunk.

I was the 3rd finalist to star in Naked Gun but Leslie got the nod.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question for the fish folks on here...especially those who fish down South i.e. Florida. There's a video of 2 year old fishing next to a lake and out of nowhere a gator pops up and eats his fish/rod. 

I thought it was pretty common knowledge if you fish lakes or inland waters you should just assume gators are there, right?

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Question for the fish folks on here...especially those who fish down South i.e. Florida. There's a video of 2 year old fishing next to a lake and out of nowhere a gator pops up and eats his fish/rod. 

I thought it was pretty common knowledge if you fish lakes or inland waters you should just assume gators are there, right?

Hell, I am always looking for gators in Fla whether I am by a lake or not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Exactly. I obviously don't want to see any kids/adults harmed but once I get South of Atlanta....isn't everyone on alert near water/lakes? 

I get leery about reptiles when I go across the Ohio River.  Seems they got ones that will kill ya south of the Mason/Dixon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure...there are so many stories hard to keep them all straight...is it this one?? Kid is more like 6 or 7....

I would think every single person in these communities like me have seen and know about alligators...and especially how they patrol the banks looking for a meal....this one here I videoed he was stalking an oblivious raccoon as it was making its way down the canal stopping and eating frogs etc and got him. Even in those communities you know they are there. We don't allow fishing in ours because of it. You just don't spend time down by the edge like that. I wouldn't do any fishing unless I was in a boat. The fish fighting like that is just like a dinner bell. So lucky the kid hadn't gone to pick up the fish and got bit instead....could have ended tragically. I would never put my child in that scenario....and I LOVE FISHING!

E108160C-57EF-40CB-9055-E138B6BE162D.jpeg

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, rico said:

I get leery about reptiles when I go across the Ohio River.  Seems they got ones that will kill ya south of the Mason/Dixon.

I know when I’m back north I worry about the carp jumping in my boat and knocking me out!

Although this here might be a fun hobby!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Every time i fish in Florida i naturally just assume there is, i thought everyone did lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

Every time i fish in Florida i naturally just assume there is, i thought everyone did lol.

No doubt. During the dry season/cool you can usually get a pretty good view of them all...but in the wet/hot season when the water is up...I think people get a false sense of security because they are typically more submerged more often and not out basking and the water is deeper and hides them easier....people don't think they are there....but they are...oh they are. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No doubt. During the dry season/cool you can usually get a pretty good view of them all...but in the wet/hot season when the water is up...I think people get a false sense of security because they are typically more submerged more often and not out basking and the water is deeper and hides them easier....people don't think they are there....but they are...oh they are. 

Kind of a funny story i have for gators in Florida. I was on a golf course in Fort Meyers and my ball angled towards a pond and landed right up against a gator. I swear to this day that it grinned at me and dared me to come get my ball. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Kind of a funny story i have for gators in Florida. I was on a golf course in Fort Meyers and my ball angled towards a pond and landed right up against a gator. I swear to this day that it grinned at me and dared me to come get my ball. 😀

You didn’t play it as it lies??? Lol Good ol lefty would be disappointed in you!!

image.jpeg.f87237223a07944d9829d8fcc7042379.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Not sure...there are so many stories hard to keep them all straight...is it this one?? Kid is more like 6 or 7....

I would think every single person in these communities like me have seen and know about alligators...and especially how they patrol the banks looking for a meal....this one here I videoed he was stalking an oblivious raccoon as it was making its way down the canal stopping and eating frogs etc and got him. Even in those communities you know they are there. We don't allow fishing in ours because of it. You just don't spend time down by the edge like that. I wouldn't do any fishing unless I was in a boat. The fish fighting like that is just like a dinner bell. So lucky the kid hadn't gone to pick up the fish and got bit instead....could have ended tragically. I would never put my child in that scenario....and I LOVE FISHING!

E108160C-57EF-40CB-9055-E138B6BE162D.jpeg

Thanks for linking up the video. I know Florida is different when it comes to things. I applaud their way of life honestly....but fishing with  your 2 year old that close to water? Maybe a father/son moment could be had at the pier or ocean.....not at the morgue. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for linking up the video. I know Florida is different when it comes to things. I applaud their way of life honestly....but fishing with  your 2 year old that close to water? Maybe a father/son moment could be had at the pier or ocean.....not at the morgue. 

There could be more to this story?

But I have travelled with people that are ignorant/unaware of what "wildlife" could be out there in place they are at.  Or they just don't think because they are used to taking leaks in their backyard.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1