Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

5 minutes ago, rico said:

There could be more to this story?

But I have travelled with people that are ignorant/unaware of what "wildlife" could be out there in place they are at.  Or they just don't think because they are used to taking leaks in their backyard.  LOL

Yeah...sometimes down here we have a lot of people visiting family/grandparents etc...but I would think anyone that lives here full time or visited many times in the past would be very careful. That said you could see the fountains in the pond etc so it was clearly a community...and even though that was a very small gator...they are everywhere and those suckers can inflict a horrible bite all the same.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rico said:

There could be more to this story?

But I have travelled with people that are ignorant/unaware of what "wildlife" could be out there in place they are at.  Or they just don't think because they are used to taking leaks in their backyard.  LOL

My inlaws busted their tails their entire life to buy a place down in Naples on a golf course/lakes,etc....first day down there they walk out to the water to enjoy, pat themselves on the back,etc....and a neighbor drove up in a golf cart and said we see your type all the time....unless you want to lose a leg or your dog give it about 15 yards from the water. Haha. Said Earl (neighborhood name for gator in there) is right over there. 

From then now.....45 feet from water. Haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My inlaws busted their tails their entire life to buy a place down in Naples on a golf course/lakes,etc....first day down there they walk out to the water to enjoy, pat themselves on the back,etc....and a neighbor drove up in a golf cart and said we see your type all the time....unless you want to lose a leg or your dog give it about 15 yards from the water. Haha. Said Earl (neighborhood name for gator in there) is right over there. 

From then now.....45 feet from water. Haha. 

Most people that have been down here for awhile appreciate them and actually enjoy having them here and of course have a healthy respect for them. Like you said even name the big ones. Between them and the Bears are used to living in and around wildlife even if they are in the city. Only become a nuisance when they do travel as water holes dry up or Bears get a little to brave on trash day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Most people that have been down here for awhile appreciate them and actually enjoy having them here and of course have a healthy respect for them. Like you said even name the big ones. Between them and the Bears are used to living in and around wildlife even if they are in the city. Only become a nuisance when they do travel as water holes dry up or Bears get a little to brave on trash day.

I guess I'm just nuts. Had a summer job in college and spent 3 months in Louisiana.  The better part of it in the Acadia bayou region. Alligators didn't scare me a bit. Actually chummed a 6 footer up to a dock at a state park we stayed at. Spent the evening feeding it pork chops. 

Had the chance to wrestle some some small ones. 

Best part was eating them. Alligator file gumbo, and fried Alligator tail. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I guess I'm just nuts. Had a summer job in college and spent 3 months in Louisiana.  The better part of it in the Acadia bayou region. Alligators didn't scare me a bit. Actually chummed a 6 footer up to a dock at a state park we stayed at. Spent the evening feeding it pork chops. 

Had the chance to wrestle some some small ones. 

Best part was eating them. Alligator file gumbo, and fried Alligator tail. 

I wouldn’t say I’m scared of them but definitely have a healthy respect for them. Of course where I live feeding them is illegal and highly frowned upon. Last thing you want is them associating people walking down to the shoreline and food lol. I really enjoy them honestly…they get a pretty bad rap…but certainly probably like where you were you wouldn’t want to get caught out in the Everglades. Why the whole Brian Laundrie hiding out in that flooded park is rediculous. He wouldn’t last 3 days between the gators and the mosquitoes.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wouldn’t say I’m scared of them but definitely have a healthy respect for them. Of course where I live feeding them is illegal and highly frowned upon. Last thing you want is them associating people walking down to the shoreline and food lol. I really enjoy them honestly…they get a pretty bad rap…but certainly probably like where you were you wouldn’t want to get caught out in the Everglades. Why the whole Brian Laundrie hiding out in that flooded park is rediculous. He wouldn’t last 3 days between the gators and the mosquitoes.

I would go on morning runs and one day I came back and my boss asked what I was doing. I said trail running. He asked if I seen any bears, I was like WTF?  Sure enough, Louisiana has black bears. 

Also, been to the everglades. People canoe in and camp out there. Those people are insane. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I would go on morning runs and one day I came back and my boss asked what I was doing. I said trail running. He asked if I seen any bears, I was like WTF?  Sure enough, Louisiana has black bears. 

Also, been to the everglades. People canoe in and camp out their. Those people are insane. 

You could easily get lost back there if you get too far off the main streams etc. yeah so far this year I’ve had a black bear, a Florida panther, and a bobcat in my backyard. Bears don’t worry me but that panther was much bigger than I guess I realized. Never trusted cats as it is….definitely don’t trust one big enough to eat me lol.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You could easily get lost back there if you get too far off the main streams etc. yeah so far this year I’ve had a black bear, a Florida panther, and a bobcat in my backyard. Bears don’t worry me but that panther was much bigger than I guess I realized. Never trusted cats as it is….definitely don’t trust one big enough to eat me lol.

Black bears are showing up in Southern Indiana now. Several sighting in the southwest park. A couple in daviess Knox Martin recently.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Black bears are showing up in Southern Indiana now. Several sighting in the southwest park. A couple in daviess Knox Martin recently.  

Wow! Didn’t realize that! That’s kind of crazy. They are highly adaptive but wouldn’t have guessed the habitat would suit them.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow! Didn’t realize that! That’s kind of crazy. They are highly adaptive but wouldn’t have guessed the habitat would suit them.

They tacked one back to Missouri and 1 from Kentucky.  It seems conservations efforts and population growth in Kentucky are pushing them back to Indiana.

The most successful reintroduction around here is wild turkeys. 20 years ago you would be lucky to see them. Now they are a couple dozen that roost on our 40 acre farm. See them everywhere anymore. 

Also, rabbits were almost hunted out so the put bag limits on them. I see at least 6 I'm my every morning I leave for work. My mouth waters thinking about eating them but I don't want to get divorced and live like @5fouls paying all that alimony. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

They tacked one back to Missouri and 1 from Kentucky.  It seems conservations efforts and population growth in Kentucky are pushing them back to Indiana.

The most successful reintroduction around here is wild turkeys. 20 years ago you would be lucky to see them. Now they are a couple dozen that roost on our 40 acre farm. See them everywhere anymore. 

Also, rabbits were almost hunted out so the put bag limits on them. I see at least 6 I'm my every morning I leave for work. My mouth waters thinking about eating them but I don't want to get divorced and live like @5fouls paying all that alimony. 

Rabbits can avg about 72-168 baby rabbits per year. One pair of rabbits can be responsible for spawning 4 million rabbits in 4 years because rabbits can reproduce every 30 days for 12 litters (6-12 per litter) per year...and the babies can start having babies in 12 weeks. It definitely doesn't take too long to get levels up. We have a couple bobcats in and around our community down here in Estero, FL. There are soo many rabbits (like literally see dozens out my window every evening) the two I've seen lately are HUGE! I've seen bobcats pretty often on my deer trail cams up north but these two I've been seeing puts them to shame they are so well fed. I remember when the Turkeys were reintroduced back in Indiana....it's been wildly successful...maybe even too successful some farmers might say.

Edited by dgambill

They actually found a dead one along side the road in Elkhart County in Northern Indiana in early August. There was another sighting a few years ago along the state line. 

You are going to start seeing more of them in Indiana i think in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Here in the Northern part of the state i think the turkey population is bigger then the deer anymore lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Here in the Northern part of the state i think the turkey population is bigger then the deer anymore lol.

River otters have become a nuisance in places here in Northern Indiana.  The turkeys are pretty damn thick.  We need more guys turkey hunting.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah i wish more people would turkey hunt, they are getting pretty thick like you said. I see some just about every day.

I think they should allow bow hunters to take them during bow season. 

Not saying it happened but I know a guy that may have or may not have done this on private property a few times in the past. 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not saying it happened but I know a guy that may have or may not have done this on private property a few times in the past. 

You can get crop deprivation permits for game if they are causing harm.  Basically allows you to "hunt" out of season.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The archery season overlaps...why couldn't you take them while bow hunting if you have the tag? I will say though, with their eyesight it is almost impossible to pull back on a group of turkeys from a tree stand....they aren't typically looking up but with nothing to break up your siloutte I think a pop up blind/ground cover is far better to use. Issue in the fall for me was they won't really respond to calls like the mating season in the spring. You basically would want to hunt a food source that they shared with deer I suppose. Anyways, never been too successful at hunting Turkey's...seems I only know how to bring in hens and not Toms. The easiest solution is to increase bag limits/extend seasons if they are a nuisance. 

image.thumb.jpeg.01772cb048cbf38a25d34edcad85e185.jpeg

Looking Glass Falls, Pisgah National Forest in N Carolina. We also drove about 30 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway but due to the fog, couldn’t see any of the vistas until we were down to about 3,100 feet elevation.

Went to Jump Off Rock earlier this week and we were warned not to go down any trails as a black bear had been sighted 

• Like 6