Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

On 10/6/2021 at 5:48 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

image.thumb.jpeg.01772cb048cbf38a25d34edcad85e185.jpeg

Looking Glass Falls, Pisgah National Forest in N Carolina. We also drove about 30 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway but due to the fog, couldn’t see any of the vistas until we were down to about 3,100 feet elevation.

Went to Jump Off Rock earlier this week and we were warned not to go down any trails as a black bear had been sighted 

We drove the the Blue Ridge Parkway from beginning to end.  Some parts were kind of redundant but alot of stuff to do along the way.  Got to see Appomattox courthouse where General Lee surrendered which was pretty cool.

Not sure about that waterfall but some scenes from Last of The Mohicans were filmed in the Pisgah National Forest. 

We even went back a couple years later and stayed at the Biltmore Estate for our honeymoon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rico said:

Nice.  BTW, what are the regs/limits there?

Rico, I belief its 5 a day. But the fish are in pretty rough shape right now. We released everything....

I was throwing chartreuse arctic spinners with luck.. 3 kids on the other side of the river were float fishing with beads, and they were smoking them. I know they caught 8 in probably 45 minutes

Edited by hoosier_exotics
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Had a great time on the Manistee. Learned a lot, lost a lot of spinners  😀

20211009_100529~2.jpg

It’s been like 4 decades since I fished for salmon/trout, so I could very well be wrong! But I remember when they first introduced Skamania into Lake Michigan. I called them Kamikazi trout.    Fish On!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

0D4FF262-169F-4A25-B3BC-5E5AEB7882D5.thumb.jpeg.3a312ab9003ad086434ba7704692ac21.jpeg

A Pileated Woodpecker working a tree on my property.

If you don’t know they are probably slightly bigger than a crow.

Years ago, my first house, I was building a log cabin. I had a great relationship with my neighbor (I'm his youngest son's god father). He showed up in the yard one day, it was way out in the country so we drove through each others yards, no prob!

He brought a 12 pack of Busch lite, and some contraption that was his new passion in life that he was putting up all over his property. I didn't know what it was, even after his long drawn out narrative of how great it was. 

Then he told me, it was a wood pecker feeder....I love that sumb$tch.! He's got my sense of humor and puts in the effort! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Any of you fellers ever been Crabbing? I'm in the process of moving part of my days down south to Mobile. I think I've watched every Crabbin Youtube video out there, bought a huge pile of equipment and am getting excited. Oh well, just wondered if ya'll have ever done it.

Never been.  But best of luck in your new "hobby."  Looking forward to reading your reports.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Any of you fellers ever been Crabbing? I'm in the process of moving part of my days down south to Mobile. I think I've watched every Crabbin Youtube video out there, bought a huge pile of equipment and am getting excited. Oh well, just wondered if ya'll have ever done it.

Never been but oh I would love to help you eat them. I assume mostly Blue Crab....obviously following all the important regulations etc but you can fish and crab down that way and never go hungry I imagine. Gulf is very abundant if you know what, when, and where to be. Don't know as much about Stone Crab except you just take the big claw and throw it back and it will grow another. Make sure you let us know how it goes!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, rico said:

The only one that I have a comment on is magnet fishing permit.  Been watching alot of videos on YouTube of magnet fishing.  Pretty cool to see some of the stuff they retrieve. 

Their justification is firearms and dangerous weapons? Those weapons are oxidized and inoperable.  Requiring a permit for magnet fishing is just another money grab.

I mean the DNR probably needs it due to underfunding last I knew anyway. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rico said:

That's a beautiful cat. We have some of the biggest bobcats I've ever seen down here in Florida. There are so many rabbits down here the cats are literally tripping over them. Not to mention the deer are so small it wouldn't surprise me if they would take them down too.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, rico said:

Rico,

I was heading down I-69 Saturday and noticed the water level on the Salamonie Reservoir was way down. Do you know why it was so low? I have never seen it like that in all my years of driving by it.

Thanks

42 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Rico,

I was heading down I-69 Saturday and noticed the water level on the Salamonie Reservoir was way down. Do you know why it was so low? I have never seen it like that in all my years of driving by it.

Thanks

I would assume that they have it drawn down to winter pool.  

3 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My very first Crab (well there’s two but ones too small). The $300 of gear I’ve bought is starting to pay off!! 

anyone know a crab Taxidermist? I’m thinking about having it stuffed. 

017AA1F0-D17D-4FA6-A839-D9D7C4925E05.jpeg

When I first took a quick glance, I thought you'd captured the John Holmes of the crab world! 😂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My very first Crab (well there’s two but ones too small). The $300 of gear I’ve bought is starting to pay off!! 

anyone know a crab Taxidermist? I’m thinking about having it stuffed. 

My in017AA1F0-D17D-4FA6-A839-D9D7C4925E05.jpeg

My in-laws have a home in Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay and they have a crab trap at the end of their dock. Lots of blue crabs every time we pull it up. That one on the top is a beauty!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

My in-laws have a home in Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay and they have a crab trap at the end of their dock. Lots of blue crabs every time we pull it up. That one on the top is a beauty!

Well I've been watching youtube videos for 3 months. 14 min 30 seconds and they have a Bushel of Blue crabs.

I've now found out that it doesn't actually happen like that! arggh.

• Haha 3