Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

3 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My very first Crab (well there’s two but ones too small). The $300 of gear I’ve bought is starting to pay off!! 

anyone know a crab Taxidermist? I’m thinking about having it stuffed. 

017AA1F0-D17D-4FA6-A839-D9D7C4925E05.jpeg

You created a new definition of chicken of the sea.  The first thing I thought is what is a chicken leg doing in there. Just interesting what baits attracts animals. 

Used to get a lot of raccoons in my attic. I would live trap them using oreo cookies for bait. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You created a new definition of chicken of the sea.  The first thing I thought is what is a chicken leg doing in there. Just interesting what baits attracts animals. 

Used to get a lot of raccoons in my attic. I would live trap them using oreo cookies for bait. 

You can catch about anything with catfood...skunks. raccoons,  opossums and yes...cats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've spent a huge amount of time researching this crabbin (differently than my old college days). I've seen multiple different type baits used, but the majority winners are Chicken drum sticks, Chicken and Turkey necks (cheap). I bought a 15 pack of Drumsticks for $6.02 and I think it will last me all 12 days I plan to have bait in the water. I've seen multiple video's of all types of other natural type food that a crab would normally find to eat and it seems to be about 10-15% effective. Freaking weird.

It's probably like a high school with 100 girls, 99 that are Brunette, 1 Blonde. "WHOA, she's different", It's not just statistics. :)

I could totally understand Raccoons and Oreo's, although I am not 100% sure why, it just makes sense to me. Did you use some of those new fangled Blonde Oreo's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I've spent a huge amount of time researching this crabbin (differently than my old college days). I've seen multiple different type baits used, but the majority winners are Chicken drum sticks, Chicken and Turkey necks (cheap). I bought a 15 pack of Drumsticks for $6.02 and I think it will last me all 12 days I plan to have bait in the water. I've seen multiple video's of all types of other natural type food that a crab would normally find to eat and it seems to be about 10-15% effective. Freaking weird.

It's probably like a high school with 100 girls, 99 that are Brunette, 1 Blonde. "WHOA, she's different", It's not just statistics. :)

I could totally understand Raccoons and Oreo's, although I am not 100% sure why, it just makes sense to me. Did you use some of those new fangled Blonde Oreo's?

Nope, trapping coons with oreo cookies is easier that catching catfish on a trot line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Well I've been watching youtube videos for 3 months. 14 min 30 seconds and they have a Bushel of Blue crabs.

I've now found out that it doesn't actually happen like that! arggh.

Congrats!!! Always fun to start a new hobby! Especially one as delicious as yours lol. I'm sure with the right amount of time, getting the right spot, and seasonality (weather conditions etc) I'm sure you will do fantastic. I always talk to local folks for tips. People love to give their opinions and banter about hunting/fishing etc...so I'm sure just going to the local bait shop or chatting with a passing boatsman will get you plenty of tips.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Congrats!!! Always fun to start a new hobby! Especially one as delicious as yours lol. I'm sure with the right amount of time, getting the right spot, and seasonality (weather conditions etc) I'm sure you will do fantastic. I always talk to local folks for tips. People love to give their opinions and banter about hunting/fishing etc...so I'm sure just going to the local bait shop or chatting with a passing boatsman will get you plenty of tips.

I am a little let down by this group.

I left some ripe low hanging fruit Dad joke material there.. Taxidermist for stuffed Crab.... And Not one of you all commented. I really need to help you all drink more!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I am a little let down by this group.

I left some ripe low hanging fruit Dad joke material there.. Taxidermist for stuffed Crab.... And Not one of you all commented. I really need to help you all drink more!

I did laugh out-loud with that joke. I thought it was really funny...sorry I should have commented lol! I think I got distracted with the oreo/coon talk lol. I love dad jokes!

Edited by dgambill
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Well I've been watching youtube videos for 3 months. 14 min 30 seconds and they have a Bushel of Blue crabs.

Yeah, sometimes the basket is empty, but sometimes it’s a crab convention! Looks like you are using chicken necks? That’s what we use. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

So I'm not the only one who found out the hard way that YouTube time doesn't equal real time. Who knew!?🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You're keeping them alive until cooking right?

No, they are going into the freezer until I get home. Maybe a "big" NYE feast.

But, they have been on ice since I caught them. They say that is "humane" before you rip their freaking shell off with your bare hands. I did learn, with the biggest one I caught, that if you put them on the counter for a photo opp, and they warm up from the previously mentioned ice bath, they will pinch the living shit out of ya.

So I iced him down some more and then evicted him with extreme prejudice. :)

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

No, they are going into the freezer until I get home. Maybe a "big" NYE feast.

But, they have been on ice since I caught them. They say that is "humane" before you rip their freaking shell off with your bare hands. I did learn, with the biggest one I caught, that if you put them on the counter for a photo opp, and they warm up from the previously mentioned ice bath, they will pinch the living shit out of ya.

So I iced him down some more and then evicted him with extreme prejudice. :)

Freezing is fine for preservation.  I just didn't want you to waste all the time and money and the work you put in. 

Crustaceans, crabs, lobster, shrimp, crayfish  break down and get ammoniated really quickly.

Crustaceans don't have a nervous system so they feel no pain.

Boil them alive and dip the meat I'd clarified butter. 

Enjoy your catch. 

• Like 2

Day 5, I feel all alone. The crab come and go. I feel the height of euphoria and the lows of panic. What if I was left, naked and afraid and had to live. 
But now I get to be greeted by a Conservation Officer. He was nice, checked me for crabs and talked about the areas that I was in violation of. We chatted. Then he started singing “are you gonna kiss me or not”. 
That’s when I started to understand southern hospitality. 

1D75611B-3CB2-435F-8E8F-C8760D67E6D6.jpeg

8B6B352F-9281-446E-9DF6-6CE1F110B665.jpeg

• Haha 3

On 12/25/2021 at 5:59 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Day 5, I feel all alone. The crab come and go. I feel the height of euphoria and the lows of panic. What if I was left, naked and afraid and had to live. 
But now I get to be greeted by a Conservation Officer. He was nice, checked me for crabs and talked about the areas that I was in violation of. We chatted. Then he started singing “are you gonna kiss me or not”. 
That’s when I started to understand southern hospitality. 

1D75611B-3CB2-435F-8E8F-C8760D67E6D6.jpeg

8B6B352F-9281-446E-9DF6-6CE1F110B665.jpeg

Most are good folk....get a couple power trippin dudes. Hope he gave you some good pointers...sure he has seen it all!!

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

Most are good folk....get a couple power trippin dudes. Hope he gave you some good pointers...sure he has seen it all!!

I agree, they’ve got a job to do so we can enjoy Mother Nature. 
He was cool, mostly just chatted after about a 10 second look at my catch. He told me where he catches his monsters so I went there the next day. He was right, it was a real honey hole! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I agree, they’ve got a job to do so we can enjoy Mother Nature. 
He was cool, mostly just chatted after about a 10 second look at my catch. He told me where he catches his monsters so I went there the next day. He was right, it was a real honey hole! 

Sweet! Honestly and that is how you find the best places for mushrooms/fish/etc....take an opportunity to be nice and chat someone up. Most people love to share about their experiences! I learned a lot about hunting/outdoors from my dad don't get me wrong...but I will tell you....just sittin and talking to old dudes at the barber shop/coffee shop/ weigh station etc you can learn a ton!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Sweet! Honestly and that is how you find the best places for mushrooms/fish/etc....take an opportunity to be nice and chat someone up. Most people love to share about their experiences! I learned a lot about hunting/outdoors from my dad don't get me wrong...but I will tell you....just sittin and talking to old dudes at the barber shop/coffee shop/ weigh station etc you can learn a ton!

Honestly I’ve found the same in the various parts of the world I’ve been in. The even more curious thing, is the chain of events. One “good ol boy” will give you a tip, that leads to a CO adding a tid bit, that connects you with ….. a seafood wholesaler who will hook you up for pennys on the dollar of your trip expense.. lol oops got off topic there, but I totally agree!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...