Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

Top 10 questions/statements wives /girlfriends ask after a day of "Ice Fishing" (AKA "The Frigid Prostitute Roundup")

10. "Catch anything?"

9. "Why do you keep playing that song "Love Shack"?

8. "when you say ' had a lot of wiggle to it' what are you referring to?" 

7. "What do you do to pass the time when the fish aren't biting?"

6. "Your coveralls are inside out."

5. "Whaddaya mean 'I'm wore out'"? 

4. "I've never heard of bait that smells like Jean Nate."

3. "There's a fish called "Sinnamon?" (just for @Zlinedavid) ;) 

2. "Bait costs $50?"

1. "There's something fishy going on here."

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

@rico i just wanted to check on you to make sure you are ok after seeing this video.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/video-fishermans-buddy-drags-him-across-ice/

I am good.  Waiting for the freeze-up tomorrow so I can look to get back out.  If I can't, it is time to focus on the upcoming mushroom season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rico said:

I am good.  Waiting for the freeze-up tomorrow so I can look to get back out.  If I can't, it is time to focus on the upcoming mushroom season.

Speaking of mushroom season, my son live in Arkansas and I was reading they start down there mid march.  I am looking forward to that as they are not until mid April here in Iowa.  The one thing that concerns me about Arkansas is the poisonous snakes down there.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, BDB said:

Speaking of mushroom season, my son live in Arkansas and I was reading they start down there mid march.  I am looking forward to that as they are not until mid April here in Iowa.  The one thing that concerns me about Arkansas is the poisonous snakes down there.

Do they have Keystone Light down there?

keystone mushroom.jpg

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Another sign of getting old. I just purchased my Indiana Senior's Fish for Life fishing license. $23 which includes a trout and salmon stamp. Never have to buy another license for the rest of my life.

I didn’t go at all last year, but definitely have the itch to get back out there and fish. I had chances, but chose to sleep in since I have two kiddos running around. I prefer early morning over evening fishing (hate dealing with gnats and mosquitos), so sleep won out every time lol. 

We have a subdivision pond that I fish out of. Has a lot of bluegill, decent amount of bass, but then it drops down quite a bit. I’ve caught some be catfish in 6 years, and will catch some good sized crappie, but worried about their numbers as well. An older guy who lives by the pond stocks it every year, so just waiting to see the results. Bass are fairly small still, lucky to catch anything over 11-12 inches, but it’s good for fishing with something so close to the house.

Want to get back to Rend Lake this year in Illinois. Great crappie fishing!!

• Like 1

On our vacation last year, we went to Laurel Falls in Gatlinburg, TN. Fairly easy trail since we had family with us. Kiddos loved it, but do have to be careful because right by the waterfall there are some serious drop offs. The cave pictures in from a state park here in Central Missouri. Not my favorite cave system to tour, but wasn’t bad by any means. 

9A4F5949-97F3-40AE-A448-CBAE19CAA4E8.jpeg

3A6FDD0D-5003-42B9-B5CF-21DFDAAF3A03.jpeg

817F5D9B-A2C5-40E3-883B-102AD859B186.jpeg

D1487C47-0BD2-420B-A5D7-821C259A55A4.jpeg

1B0E69CC-EA47-4D12-ADFA-F853606112A3.jpeg

771C6262-B82D-43C0-8887-E8C6D061B799.jpeg

• Like 6

On 4/25/2022 at 12:54 PM, JaybobHoosier said:

I didn’t go at all last year, but definitely have the itch to get back out there and fish. I had chances, but chose to sleep in since I have two kiddos running around. I prefer early morning over evening fishing (hate dealing with gnats and mosquitos), so sleep won out every time lol. 

We have a subdivision pond that I fish out of. Has a lot of bluegill, decent amount of bass, but then it drops down quite a bit. I’ve caught some be catfish in 6 years, and will catch some good sized crappie, but worried about their numbers as well. An older guy who lives by the pond stocks it every year, so just waiting to see the results. Bass are fairly small still, lucky to catch anything over 11-12 inches, but it’s good for fishing with something so close to the house.

Want to get back to Rend Lake this year in Illinois. Great crappie fishing!!

Not sure how far you are from it but the strip pits around Greene-Sullivan state forest is the best Crappie fishing I ever experienced and the are huge. I caught one one year that was a few ounces shy of the state record. 

Now I know where @dgambillgot his username. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1