Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

23 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Which is fascinating, the hunter or the morel?

Both. I take 90 minutes every day to get my workout in including time on the Monon. First time ever to see a guy hunting here in Indy and I asked him how it was going. Showed me his haul....and said he's getting $65 per lb right now.

We aren't strangers to twang in Indiana but this guy had more Tennessee in him. Said the Indiana morel's have a better taste for a variety of reasons....anyway I've always heard about people hunting them but never saw anyone in person doing it. Told me you have to have a trained eye to find the area, growing patterns....ground temps/moisture,etc...just cool stuff.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Both. I take 90 minutes every day to get my workout in including time on the Monon. First time ever to see a guy hunting here in Indy and I asked him how it was going. Showed me his haul....and said he's getting $65 per lb right now.

We aren't strangers to twang in Indiana but this guy had more Tennessee in him. Said the Indiana morel's have a better taste for a variety of reasons....anyway I've always heard about people hunting them but never saw anyone in person doing it. Told me you have to have a trained eye to find the area, growing patterns....ground temps/moisture,etc...just cool stuff.

My grandpa was from Missouri.  The Ozarks, devils elbow. 

Anyway, he would take me mushroom hunting and we would end up with breadsacks full. 

He would bust a nut for $65 a pound 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My grandpa was from Missouri.  The Ozarks, devils elbow. 

Anyway, he would take me mushroom hunting and we would end up with breadsacks full. 

He would bust a nut for $65 a pound 

I have no clue if any of this stuff is accurate honestly. Just relaying. He told me 2-3 years ago it was $20/lb....and now it's exploded. He said his goal this week was a 100 lbs. Not a bad haul one bit if the numbers are right. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I have no clue if any of this stuff is accurate honestly. Just relaying. He told me 2-3 years ago it was $20/lb....and now it's exploded. He said his goal this week was a 100 lbs. Not a bad haul one bit if the numbers are right. 

I only know my experience.  

I'm from Washington indiana.  People would take vacation and come down from Indy to crappie fish and mushroom hunt.

I made some good money when I was in high school showing those city stickers around. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It is accurate for the most part.  Prices vary depending on how the season goes, or whether you are purchasing them out of season.  I knew a guy that started hunting in Georgia and would follow them north to Minnesota just to sell what he found.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rico said:

It is accurate for the most part.  Prices vary depending on how the season goes, or whether you are purchasing them out of season.  I knew a guy that started hunting in Georgia and would follow them north to Minnesota just to sell what he found.

I knew a guy that did the same thing. His name was Tom Holt. 

A Madison grocery store sells fresh morels in season.  They've been buying from local hunters for 20 years.  Some things I didn't know, from their website:

"In Wisconsin, you can find wild asparagus, onions, leeks, watercress, and the highly sought after morel mushroom!

Initially, the market price starts high, and, as the season progresses, will either hold or drop depending on yields. Last spring produced a bumper crop, and we’re hoping 2022 does as well.

You will find two specimens here: the black morel, and the common, or yellow, morel. Both are hollow, with elongated, conical caps irregularly honeycombed on the outside.

Morels should be firm, not too dry but not too wet. Morels can be stored for a few days with good circulation. Store them in a paper bag, not in plastic."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not sure how far you are from it but the strip pits around Greene-Sullivan state forest is the best Crappie fishing I ever experienced and the are huge. I caught one one year that was a few ounces shy of the state record. 

Now I know where @dgambillgot his username. 

😂 Definitely some great fishing in that area. The mines were forced to perform reclamation of all the lands and received millions in state incentives etc so they stock and build lots of roads for access to hunting and especially fishing. There are more strip pits then people to fish them honestly. Good bass fishing and even some solid bird hunting.

As far as my user name it is indeed just my name but there are some areas named with my family name. I did love hunting and fishing growing up and try to get back every year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

A Madison grocery store sells fresh morels in season.  They've been buying from local hunters for 20 years.  Some things I didn't know, from their website:

"In Wisconsin, you can find wild asparagus, onions, leeks, watercress, and the highly sought after morel mushroom!

Initially, the market price starts high, and, as the season progresses, will either hold or drop depending on yields. Last spring produced a bumper crop, and we’re hoping 2022 does as well.

You will find two specimens here: the black morel, and the common, or yellow, morel. Both are hollow, with elongated, conical caps irregularly honeycombed on the outside.

Morels should be firm, not too dry but not too wet. Morels can be stored for a few days with good circulation. Store them in a paper bag, not in plastic."

During morel season you can also find ramps. It's like wild garlic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

There are people on YouTube that grow them year round. I know many years ago it wasn’t very reliable but I’m hearing they are getting much better at it. Wonder if the wild ones taste different?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

😂 Definitely some great fishing in that area. The mines were forced to perform reclamation of all the lands and received millions in state incentives etc so they stock and build lots of roads for access to hunting and especially fishing. There are more strip pits then people to fish them honestly. Good bass fishing and even some solid bird hunting.

As far as my user name it is indeed just my name but there are some areas named with my family name. I did love hunting and fishing growing up and try to get back every year.

Biggest bass I ever caught was at green Sullivan.  7 1/2 lbs. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Biggest bass I ever caught was at green Sullivan.  7 1/2 lbs. 

wowser! I think the biggest I caught was around 6 something…but at Merom. I caught some large mouth all over Greene-Sullivan but I actually had a friend who had a family pond…and we would catch a small mouth on just about every cast. 

Edited by dgambill

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know I sound awful but I never cared a lot for morels. I just found out though your not suppose to soak them in water (we put them in salt water to kill the bugs)…so what is the solution to the bugs?? Maybe that was the issue all these years because I love other mushrooms.

I soak mine in salt water.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

wowser! I think the biggest I caught was around 6 something…but at Merom. I caught some large mouth all over Greene-Sullivan but I actually had a friend who had a family pond…and we would catch a small mouth on just about every cast. 

Oh my goodness Merom. That is some hot water. Crappie fishing deluxe 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Quick rinse is needed, possibly more than once.  Then pat them dry.

3 steps to cleaning morel mushrooms:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-clean-morels-2216938

I never understood trying to get the bugs out…people all over the world eat bugs…just extra protein…as long as you got the he dirt off I would think would be sufficient. I think my mom must have soaked them too long and that’s why I didn’t understand the fuss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

There are people on YouTube that grow them year round. I know many years ago it wasn’t very reliable but I’m hearing they are getting much better at it. Wonder if the wild ones taste different?

This guy I met today says he puts his morels in a mesh bag so the spores will drop into the ground and will create future growing grounds? Again....I know nothing but this guy seemed to know what he was and is doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

This guy I met today says he puts his morels in a mesh bag so the spores will drop into the ground and will create future growing grounds? Again....I know nothing but this guy seemed to know what he was and is doing.

That article I posted says that’s a wise tale and not true…but we are talking about fungi…not exactly my area of expertise lol!

• Like 1

Grew up hunting morels every year. We always found huge sackfuls. One year, my Dad got very ill eating them. Had to go to the hospital. We didn’t know if a false morel had snuck in or if he just had a bad reaction. Think it took him several years to eat them again. 

He still hunts them to this day - just texted me yesterday that he ran into a guy hunting them that said he was getting $65 a pound from a restaurant in Indy. 

It’s pretty rare to see them in shops out here, but you can guess that they sell for a lot more than $65 a pound in NYC. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Grew up hunting morels every year. We always found huge sackfuls. One year, my Dad got very ill eating them. Had to go to the hospital. We didn’t know if a false morel had snuck in or if he just had a bad reaction. Think it took him several years to eat them again. 

He still hunts them to this day - just texted me yesterday that he ran into a guy hunting them that said he was getting $65 a pound from a restaurant in Indy. 

It’s pretty rare to see them in shops out here, but you can guess that they sell for a lot more than $65 a pound in NYC. 

Believe it or not morels are poisonous if you eat too many or eat them raw. 

22 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not sure how far you are from it but the strip pits around Greene-Sullivan state forest is the best Crappie fishing I ever experienced and the are huge. I caught one one year that was a few ounces shy of the state record. 

Now I know where @dgambillgot his username. 

I will have to look that up, appreciate the suggestion! Hopefully will get to fish and play golf more this year. I’m a guilty husband, so I limit myself even though my wife really doesn’t care.

• Like 1