Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I didn’t know where to post this but since it was outdoors? Friend of mine from Georgia sent this picture he took last night of a satellite train. I had to look it up, Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellites.

image.thumb.jpeg.55564252d7ad7aed0816591f5a7633fe.jpeg

I saw one myself a couple months ago. They are now pretty common it seems. Even a website to let you know when you can see one yourself- https://findstarlink.com/

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2

I'm not an outdoorsman at all but my question is this. Is it mating season for Deer? Reason I ask is we were out getting miles in just now along Monon and some other trails in area. Anyway....4 Deer crossed about 25 yards in front of us. No big deal. See them often. But after they went in the woods we started walking again and out of nowhere this white tail leaped what seemed like a good 12-14 yards literally right in front of us...and I have no clue what speed they can run but it had to of been at least 25 mph....

If the 6 miles didn't clear out the Friday cobwebs that sure as s did. Wow. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not an outdoorsman at all but my question is this. Is it mating season for Deer? Reason I ask is we were out getting miles in just now along Monon and some other trails in area. Anyway....4 Deer crossed about 25 yards in front of us. No big deal. See them often. But after they went in the woods we started walking again and out of nowhere this white tail leaped what seemed like a good 12-14 yards literally right in front of us...and I have no clue what speed they can run but it had to of been at least 25 mph....

Not mating season quite yet. That should start late October.

It's likely due to the front moving through. Deer are active right before and after a weather front. They are especially active the few days following a cold front. Deer, and other animals react to changing barometric pressures. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's likely due to the front moving through. Deer are active right before and after a weather front. They are especially active the few days following a cold front. Deer, and other animals react to changing barometric pressures. 

That's really good to know. Appreciate it. We see Deer all the time along the trail but never like this. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My Grandpa fished by the barometer.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, Seeking6 said:

Yes the rut usually starts early November give or take a week or so. Although bucks will start separating before that and might start dogging does before as well.

That time of year bucks are probably still in bachelor groups and does with their fawns etc. Not sure what the weather was doing but Flynn was likely right. Thing is most deer use bedding and feeding areas together. Likely something spooked them out of their bedding (maybe even heard or smelled you coming). Depending on density of deer and amount of cover for them you would be surprised how many will be together. For reference I was bow hunting a couple years ago on a wooded hill a hundred yards or so from a bean field. As soon as the farmer started his combine it was like a dinner bell to the deer. I promise you it was like a stampede coming through the woods within minutes. I counted 23 deer past within 50 yards of my blind headed down to the field. Not a shooter in the bunch but I doubt any would have slowed long enough to give me a shot even if I would have whistled at them. They were on a mission not to miss out on the spilled beans left behind from the harvester. Interesting behavior but predictable too and you can take advantage of it. Same thing with a logger he would have deer follow his skid as he took down trees and they would follow along and eat the tops off. As long as he stayed inside they didn’t care but as soon as he stepped out…take off like a rocket. 
So in short…lol..yeah I’m saying deer can have some interesting behavior…but what you experienced probably not that unusual.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 4

This was the view from the deck of the house we stayed at last weekend for our granddaughter's wedding. Main house slept 75 and our condo another 12 or so. In the background is Bear Lake that straddles the border of Idaho and Utah. We were in Fish Haven, Idaho, population 222 per Wikipedia.

The drive from Salt Lake City was gorgeous once we got off the interstate. Hwy 89 went right through the mountains and the Fall colors were at their peak. Utah State is in Logan, right on the highway. I would have had a difficult time studying there, given the surroundings.

A river ran right along the highway, and we saw several fly fishermen. Also saw some deer. Went on an ATV excursion, which was a blast. I won't be needing a chiropractor any time soon!

image.thumb.jpeg.d36526841e2e6fd63fff34527586fb51.jpeg

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This was the view from the deck of the house we stayed at last weekend for our granddaughter's wedding. Main house slept 75 and our condo another 12 or so. In the background is Bear Lake that straddles the border of Idaho and Utah. We were in Fish Haven, Idaho, population 222 per Wikipedia.

The drive from Salt Lake City was gorgeous once we got off the interstate. Hwy 89 went right through the mountains and the Fall colors were at their peak. Utah State is in Logan, right on the highway. I would have had a difficult time studying there, given the surroundings.

A river ran right along the highway, and we saw several fly fishermen. Also saw some deer. Went on an ATV excursion, which was a blast. I won't be needing a chiropractor any time soon!

I made that drive once. From SLC to Yellowstone. There is a good creamery @ Utah State thats worth a stop. To stetch out the legs of course!

• Like 1