Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

Sunday I drop my wife off in Irwin, Tennessee for a 13 day hike on the Appalachian Trail. She is planning on hiking around 150-160 miles, ending up in Virginia.

Her goal is to section hike the entire trail. Since I am much older than her, if/when I kick off she will collect the insurance money, take a sabbatical from work and through hike it.

I will post a couple pictures when I drop her off. She is one tough, determined woman!

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Sunday I drop my wife off in Irwin, Tennessee for a 13 day hike on the Appalachian Trail. She is planning on hiking around 150-160 miles, ending up in Virginia.

Her goal is to section hike the entire trail. Since I am much older than her, if/when I kick off she will collect the insurance money, take a sabbatical from work and through hike it.

I will post a couple pictures when I drop her off. She is one tough, determined woman!

That's awesome. I want to through hike one day. 

• Like 1

Found online, if this helps anyone avoid being sick: 

"When it comes to morels, look for mushrooms that have pitted caps, as opposed to the folds or wrinkles of the dangerous look-alikes.

True morels are hollow inside, so always cut them open and make sure. Morels are attached to the mushroom stem at the base of the cap."

Morel_Mushroom_ID.jpg

53 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Found online, if this helps anyone avoid being sick: 

"When it comes to morels, look for mushrooms that have pitted caps, as opposed to the folds or wrinkles of the dangerous look-alikes.

True morels are hollow inside, so always cut them open and make sure. Morels are attached to the mushroom stem at the base of the cap."

Morel_Mushroom_ID.jpg

I have been hunting and eating mushrooms all my life.  My advice to any and everyone that wants to try morel hunting/eating is to seek out an experienced hunter to go with until you know what to pick/consume.  People die every year from eating the wrong shrooms.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I have been hunting and eating mushrooms all my life.  My advice to any and everyone that wants to try morel hunting/eating is to seek out an experienced hunter to go with until you know what to pick/consume.  People die every year from eating the wrong shrooms.

Same here. My grandpa and my dad taught me how to hunt mushrooms.

Morels, chanterells and chicken of the woods. 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2022 at 3:58 PM, jefftheref said:

A couple pictures of Susan heading out Sunday morning. She did around 14 miles per day on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

39884.jpeg

IMG_20220501_083534257_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220501_083600883.jpg

IMG_20220501_083620231.jpg

IMG_20220501_083426024_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220501_083502213_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220501_083507630_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220501_083320757_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220501_083257730_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220501_083306436_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Describe to me the perfect setting to find these things?  Like super mature old forest?

The perfect setting for me is a woods that has dead elm(with the bark peeling off) along with an abundance of yellow poplar, ash, and sycamore trees with wild cherry and apple scattered in.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...