Jump to content

Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc


Recommended Posts

My wife are I heading out to CA in late June for a 10 day vacation. We'll see Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia and the Big Sur coastline. Plan is to get a lot of hiking in. Have been trying to walk 2 miles per day during the week and longer or stairs and hills on the weekends to prepare.  Hope to do a few laps on the Swallow Cliff stairs this weekend.   Image result for swallow cliff stairs

Of course all that exercise needs to be balanced with a good beer. Sequoia Brewing in Fresno is first on the agenda for lunch after we get off the plane. Alvarado in Monterey also on the list with a few others. I'll report back on that aspect in the Beer thread. :cheers:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I got exhausted just looking at those ladders 🥵

I did 35,000 steps on day one. I really pushed it, but I loved every second d of it.

Day two was a little less taxing but still hiked several miles up and down some mountains.

Acadia may be the most gorgeous place I have seen. It is one of those rare places that is actually better in person than even in pictures. 

It is breath taking and diverse.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hiking on flat ground is one thing. Going up and down hills takes it to another level. Doing so at elevation is another level. I figure 1 mile going uphill at 7000-10,000 feet is like 5 miles on flat ground. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Reacher said:

Hiking on flat ground is one thing. Going up and down hills takes it to another level. Doing so at elevation is another level. I figure 1 mile going uphill at 7000-10,000 feet is like 5 miles on flat ground. 

The hardest hike I did last week was only 1.5 miles. But took hours. It was almost all straight up elevation on big ass rocks.  Lol

The view at the top was worth it. I sat there, ate a packed lunch and just relaxed for a good 1.5 hours. 

But yeah, you are right. Not all lengths are the same (that's what she said).

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 11:35 AM, Reacher said:

My wife are I heading out to CA in late June for a 10 day vacation. We'll see Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia and the Big Sur coastline. Plan is to get a lot of hiking in. Have been trying to walk 2 miles per day during the week and longer or stairs and hills on the weekends to prepare.  Hope to do a few laps on the Swallow Cliff stairs this weekend.   Image result for swallow cliff stairs

Of course all that exercise needs to be balanced with a good beer. Sequoia Brewing in Fresno is first on the agenda for lunch after we get off the plane. Alvarado in Monterey also on the list with a few others. I'll report back on that aspect in the Beer thread. :cheers:

This is a must stop on the Big Sur coast. Also, if you can work in a whale watching trip out of Monterey, it’s amazing 

https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/mcway-falls-big-sur/

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This is a must stop on the Big Sur coast. Also, if you can work in a whale watching trip out of Monterey, it’s amazing 

https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/mcway-falls-big-sur/

Both are on the list! 

Whale watching is booked. Going with the fast raft instead of a big boat. Should be a blast. Did that 6-7 years ago in San Diego and loved it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, rico said:

May be an image of food

Is it a sign that a kid named Morel knocked in the only run (sac fly) in the Cubs 1-0 victory over the Braves, ending our 10 game losing streak, and halting Atlanta's winning streak at 14? Hmmm?

Or maybe those are those "other" kind of mushrooms... 

1274515103_giphy(3).gif.45781e2711a719f24e84fd0e0812c2dd.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 11:36 AM, bluegrassIU said:

I did 35,000 steps on day one. I really pushed it, but I loved every second d of it.

Day two was a little less taxing but still hiked several miles up and down some mountains.

Acadia may be the most gorgeous place I have seen. It is one of those rare places that is actually better in person than even in pictures. 

It is breath taking and diverse.

Love Maine and Vermont. There’s a good chance we will buy a place up there eventually. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Back from my vacation to CA. Got in a lot of outdoors time. Hiking was a bit limited due to my wifes broken wrist (she had surgery days before we left). Did some of the more popular hikes at Yosemite and Sequoia (Yosemite Falls, Morro Rock, etc), rented a bike for day and biked 5-6 hours in 90+ degree heat around the valley and in general did a lot of walking. Seemed like we were always driving or walking. Saw a few bear close up. Lots of other animals and strange birds and flowers. Gas wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Max I paid was $6.75. 

20220625_171505.thumb.jpg.022d0d165025171d3edade9c2dfe9b17.jpg

Half Dome

20220627_135759.thumb.jpg.24caea03d73facc59b7785993f361757.jpg

20220627_153640.thumb.jpg.c4fdc9d1edac7f148e3c96e656fe3b4a.jpg

20220626_083956.thumb.jpg.6e1ee56754809bd0b56f9b5cf2862c89.jpg

Yosemite Falls

20220626_161820.thumb.jpg.c1d6e1340fc919d1915c1165d26bd225.jpg

20220630_095345.thumb.jpg.81e5f7de1759efd301b3b38877ccb957.jpg

Sunset over Moonstone Beach. Cambria, CA

20220701_200212.thumb.jpg.3bab30a319c527191492b04f813df99b.jpg20220701_202146.thumb.jpg.9791c41063abbb07c279cadac9fe81d9.jpg

 

Big Sur20220702_132624.thumb.jpg.5de8f08f82a94ff32f0512f6a198feee.jpg

 

Yosemite Valley20220625_194028.thumb.jpg.bd0ba6f591154ca3471b85c3be094ec7.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...