Most underrated MLB players

rico

So what players do you guys feel just don't seem to get their due?  Dale Murphy?  Dave Concepcion?  Vida Blue?

I stumbled upon an old Toronto Blue Jay hat the other day.  It made me think about Dave Stieb.  Guy was a helluva pitcher.  I looked up his stats and became more impressed.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Tony Oliva...

Rookie of the year

3X batting champ

.304 lifetime average

8X all-star

Gold Glove winner

Should be in the HOF...

A tad before my time, wish I could have seen him play in person.

Bear with me on this. This guy is still considered by many to be on the outside looking in when it comes to meriting Hall of Fame induction.  

Joey Votto:

• Career WAR is 14th best among first basemen.  Every retired first baseman ahead of him is in the Hall of Fame except steroid tainted Rafael Palmeiro.
  • His career WAR is higher than 11 first basemen who are in the HOF (includes Eddie Murray, Harmon Killebrew, Tony Perez, Hank Greenberg, etc.)
  • His career OBP of .4213 is best among active players and ranks 17th all time among ALL position players.  The only other active player with an OBP higher than .400 is Mike Trout.  He's led the N/L in OBP 7 times.   
  • His career batting average of .307 is 3rd among active players, behind only Miguel Cabrerra and Jose Altuve.
  • He is an underrated fielder.  Has won a Gold Glove and 6 times has led N/L  first basemen in assists in his career.  Check out this play he made with a runner on second to preserve Homer Bailey's no-hitter.

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Bear with me on this. This guy is still considered by many to be on the outside looking in when it comes to meriting Hall of Fame induction.  

Joey Votto:

• Career WAR is 14th best among first basemen.  Every retired first baseman ahead of him is in the Hall of Fame except steroid tainted Rafael Palmeiro.
  • His career WAR is higher than 11 first basemen who are in the HOF (includes Eddie Murray, Harmon Killebrew, Tony Perez, Hank Greenberg, etc.)
  • His career OBP of .4213 is best among active players and ranks 17th all time among ALL position players.  The only other active player with an OBP higher than .400 is Mike Trout.  He's led the N/L in OBP 7 times.   
  • His career batting average of .307 is 3rd among active players, behind only Miguel Cabrerra and Jose Altuve.
  • He is an underrated fielder.  Has won a Gold Glove and 6 times has led N/L  first basemen in assists in his career.  Check out this play he made with a runner on second to preserve Homer Bailey's no-hitter.

In this day and age of metrics. I can't imagine Joey not getting in.

56 minutes ago, rico said:

In this day and age of metrics. I can't imagine Joey not getting in.

Here's an article that discusses the chances of active candidates.  This particular writer is skeptical of Votto's chances.  

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/what-active-mlb-players-will-make-hall-of-fame-trout-cabrera-pujols-among-locks-cano-on-the-bubble/

Tommy John.

He's overshadowed by his surgery, but his stats are HOF worthy.  Looking at them, I don't quite understand why he's not in.

288 wins

Ranks 20th all time in innings pitched.  Of the 19 guys in front of him, 17 are in the Hall.  The two that are not are Roger Clemens (steroids) and some guy that pitched in the 1800s named Bobby Mathews.  

Edit:  His 288 wins are the most not in the Hall except for the same two guys as listed above.

Compare him to Robin Roberts, who is in the Hall.

John:  288-231 record; 3.34 ERA; 2,245 K's; 4,710 Innings Pitched

Roberts; 286-245 record; 3.41 ERA; 2,357 K's; 4,689 Innings Pitched

If one is in, they both have to be....right?

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Tommy John.

He's overshadowed by his surgery, but his stats are HOF worthy.  Looking at them, I don't quite understand why he's not in.

288 wins

Ranks 20th all time in innings pitched.  Of the 19 guys in front of him, 17 are in the Hall.  The two that are not are Roger Clemens (steroids) and some guy that pitched in the 1800s named Bobby Mathews.  

Edit:  His 288 wins are the most not in the Hall except for the same two guys as listed above.

Compare him to Robin Roberts, who is in the Hall.

John:  288-231 record; 3.34 ERA; 2,245 K's; 4,710 Innings Pitched

Roberts; 286-245 record; 3.41 ERA; 2,357 K's; 4,689 Innings Pitched

If one is in, they both have to be....right?

I never understood why Tommy wasn't in....

Here's a pretty good most underrated team. Some of the names already mentioned here. One name I always think is lost is Joe Carter. People remember his World Series dong for sure.....but he put up some huge numbers for a decade plus. Never a hit for average guy but if Carter was around during steroids era he would have given Sosa/Bonds/Mac a run for their money.

https://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/54548/the-all-time-all-underrated-team

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's a pretty good most underrated team. Some of the names already mentioned here. One name I always think is lost is Joe Carter. People remember his World Series dong for sure.....but he put up some huge numbers for a decade plus. Never a hit for average guy but if Carter was around during steroids era he would have given Sosa/Bonds/Mac a run for their money.

https://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/54548/the-all-time-all-underrated-team

I noticed that Rick Reuschel was on that list.  I had forgotten about him.  He was one fine pitcher.

Archived