Lander ahead of TJD in draft

A friend and I were talking, and can see him returning for a second season. I don’t remember where I saw the comparison, but someone thought that he reminded him of Morant. They’re both explosive athletes who can fly. If he’s anything close to Morant, we’d be happy. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a parent I would have to think LONG and hard if reclassifying and then going pro after one year is the best for my son developmentally. Thomas Bryant was a good model, improvement from year 1 to 2 and had done all the developing in college that he needed to do. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

As a parent I would have to think LONG and hard if reclassifying and then going pro after one year is the best for my son developmentally. Thomas Bryant was a good model, improvement from year 1 to 2 and had done all the developing in college that he needed to do. 

I agree.  No question, Lander has tremendous talent, but high school to college to the pros in one season is a huge mental leap.  I mean...yeah, he could absolutely tear the Big Ten up this next season (and wouldn't that be awesome) and prove himself ready for another quantum leap, but those are some big mental leaps for the most mature kids.  If I went a year early, I'd say the thought is to stay two years in most cases.

If he shows enough to be truly ready for the NBA after one season, buckle up, Hoosier Nation...it's going to be a wild and joyful ride.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I agree.  No question, Lander has tremendous talent, but high school to college to the pros in one season is a huge mental leap.  I mean...yeah, he could absolutely tear the Big Ten up this next season (and wouldn't that be awesome) and prove himself ready for another quantum leap, but those are some big mental leaps for the most mature kids.  If I went a year early, I'd say the thought is to stay two years in most cases.

If he shows enough to be truly ready for the NBA after one season, buckle up, Hoosier Nation...it's going to be a wild and joyful ride.

Yeah.. hes got to put on some weight. He's like 160-165. He needs to be like 180-185. 

2 years for sure. 3 could happen.  

On 6/5/2020 at 9:58 AM, Danomatic said:

A friend and I were talking, and can see him returning for a second season. I don’t remember where I saw the comparison, but someone thought that he reminded him of Morant. They’re both explosive athletes who can fly. If he’s anything close to Morant, we’d be happy. 

I’ve made the comparison. I watched Morant his freshman year as I used to live in Murray and I saw a very talented kid who grew leaps and bounds as the year went along...until his sophomore season where his body really caught up to his athleticism and then the whole nation saw him. The athleticism, speed and control with the ball, explosiveness is there...but the biggest similarity is their ability to pass the ball and put it right on the guy ready to shoot (doesn’t have to reach for it etc right in the shooting pocket) and they can do it with either hand and from anywhere on the court. That’s pretty special. I think Lander will have a harder time putting up stats and highlight reel plays like Morant simply because he is in a major upgrade as far as competition in the B1G and I think he will need a second year to get stronger but it only takes one NBA team to see his potential and promise him a first rd pick to see him go OAD.

Its always the balance of getting paid vs getting hurt.  Regardless mental maturity or not, being a top 10 draft pick is almost always more than any kids can turn down.  There are always a few each year who decide to go back to school to finish something they started, but most if projected in the first round period, let along the top 10 are going to make the jump.  Hard to pass up what most of these kids have dreamed about since picking up a basketball.  And if i was offered 10 million a year to quit school after my freshman year and start doing what i do today (Boring IT work), you're damn right i would have done it, degree or not.  Life changing events come along so very infrequently for people, you must be ready to grab them when they do.

And yes, we all know that IUScott would pass up any amount of contract salary if he were to make this choice. 

All of these kids are chasing their dream, so whatever they feel is right is what they should do. But too many simply chase a quick check rather than thinking long term. The top tier kids figured it out years ago that the goal is not just getting drafted. They started looking beyond their rookie deal. It's all about being in position to get that second deal. Jump too soon when you are not ready, some not close to ready, and you will be nothing more than NBA fodder, quickly drafted over in a year and fighting for your life against hundreds in the boat. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Every time I changed jobs just for money it never worked out.

Yeah but if you changed job for a salary that would change you life after 3 years is worth doing the risk.  Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but when you go from living month to month to being one of the 10% in the county is very hard to pass up.  Its not the same as taking a 10k a year bump to go somewhere else.  Its literally going from a minimum wage job to being a millionaire for these kids.  But there is without a doubt almost ZERO chance any one of us would not take a job next week that would pay us 8mil a year for 3 years guaranteed, to do the same thing we're doing now.

Now, are they mentally ready to handle this amount of money and fame, that is questionable.  And hopefully their parents and the league does a better job in the future of helping these kids out. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Every time I changed jobs just for money it never worked out.

This isn't nearly the same thing as changing jobs for money. As IowaHoosierFan said, this isn't you or I leaving a company we love simply for a $10K pay raise. This is 100% life changing, generational money, and it's life changing money to go do something that has been these kids #1 goal in life for 10+ years. This millions of dollars to go do something every kid that does what you do dreams their entire childhood of doing.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This isn't nearly the same thing as changing jobs for money. As IowaHoosierFan said, this isn't you or I leaving a company we love simply for a $10K pay raise. This is 100% life changing, generational money, and it's life changing money to go do something that has been these kids #1 goal in life for 10+ years. This millions of dollars to go do something every kid that does what you do dreams their entire childhood of doing.

Any job I take that makes me a multi-millionare is one I would say worked out.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I know that and I know most don't agree with me on this topic.  I am not talking about guys who are going to be top 10 pick but the kids who are fringe players who might or might not even get drafted.  Yes you might get that first contract but if you are not nearly ready for the pro game you will be out of the league in 3 years.  Yes that money looks good now but once you take taxes out and the agent fees and all of the other expenses to be a pro athlete then it is less than you think.  Plus a lot of 19 year old kids are not ready mentally for the pro game and some don't have the people around them looking out for their interest who take advantage of them.  They need to show every college athlete the 30 for 30 Going Broke on how a lot of these pro players end p with nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Always enjoy these articles. I also enjoy on occasion to re-read our original thread on recruits. One thing I really like about our staff is it seems when they want something to be quiet the keep it quiet. Archie said in this article they started having those discussions last fall about him reclassifying....but I couldn't find a comment or article anywhere until February of 2020 about Lander even possibly reclassifying. 

Anyway look forward to watching Lander play and play right away. Love Rob P but Lander has a gear Rob doesn't. Should help facilitate the pick up in pace Archie's been wanting.

On 6/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, BGleas said:

Wait, are you saying it isn't every kid's dream to go work for a law firm, to toil hours and hours and fight the billable hour vs. client expectations?

:D

52 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Wait, are you saying it isn't every kid's dream to go work for a law firm, to toil hours and hours and fight the billable hour vs. client expectations?

:D

Man does that take me back to my days working in public accounting.  Don't miss it!

Great article on Lander.  I clicked back on the official visit article and it's fun looking at expectations vs. how it turned out.  I love getting Lander on campus before the Dukes and UK's even got geared up to recruit him.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Always enjoy these articles. I also enjoy on occasion to re-read our original thread on recruits. One thing I really like about our staff is it seems when they want something to be quiet the keep it quiet. Archie said in this article they started having those discussions last fall about him reclassifying....but I couldn't find a comment or article anywhere until February of 2020 about Lander even possibly reclassifying. 

Anyway look forward to watching Lander play and play right away. Love Rob P but Lander has a gear Rob doesn't. Should help facilitate the pick up in pace Archie's been wanting.

With a huge assist from Nick Baumgart, we had a story on Lander reclassifying back in October.  Others on the beat called it "wild speculation" at the time.  LOL.

Nick dropped the perfect dime on this one, I just layed it in.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-the-perfect-solution-for-indianas-2020-point-guard-needs/

2 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

With a huge assist from Nick Baumgart, we had a story on Lander reclassifying back in October.  Others on the beat called it "wild speculation" at the time.  LOL.

Nick dropped the perfect dime on this one, I just layed it in.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-the-perfect-solution-for-indianas-2020-point-guard-needs/

You the man TDH!

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Nick dropped the perfect dime on this one, I just laid it in.

Bravo...more clicks for you!

Seriuously...love what you do.  Keep up the good work.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

ND Kendrick had some very positive things to say about Lander today on twitter. Mentioned slightly tweaked ankle but looks stronger/thicker. He implied absolutely instant impact Big 10 player. Good to hear!

Is he the guy that use to post here about recruits who is a High school coach on Indy.  Is Lander down in Bloomington player or where he see Lander play.

Archived