Racial tensions

rico

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can't even organize a thought on how to respond to this statement.

My perception is that the majority of people that leave their flags out 24/7 are veterans or Americans of an older generation.  Whatever else you may think of them, the majority of veterans deserve respect for what they have done to protect our freedom.   As far as those of an older generation, I would venture to say there is a very small percentage. dare I say miniscule, of people in the U.S. that would actually believe that older people are less respectful than younger generations.  

So, for you to say 99%, I'm curious as to your rationale.  Sure, just like in any comparison, there are flag waving people that do not merit respect.  But, 99%? That's not remotely close to a reasonable number. 

Leaving out the flag all the time violates the US Flag code. If you haven’t read that should you really be saying somebody is being disrespectful to the flag?

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I had a black neighbor. We lived in a safe area in the suburbs. We had some of these discussions. He was never the least bit concerned for his kids. He raised good kids that respected authority and knew not to put themselves in dangerous positions. What was expressed to you was obviously a concern, I just wanted to share that it is not universal. Maybe affected by his past, the area he lives?

And thee is a big difference between armed people in a statehouse and people burning police stations to the ground. 

Classic gaslighting. This is a very real concern and because you know a guy who never expressed this concern to you (and based on what we can tell of you online, why would he express something like this to you?) doesn't make it any less of a concern and fear for many black parents. 

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Kaepernick did that because he sucked at professional football and needed some attention.  

That’s a totally objective opinion. 

27 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I respect your opinion. And think that is how Kap should have expressed himself. As you have.  Speaking out, rather than taking a knee during the National Anthem.

As for my flag.  I light it at night. As I have already posted.  And always. Always.  Take in down in bad weather.  See. I respect our great American flag. Can't speak for others.

Can agree with you wondering why.... only one guy got arrested.  To me. The other three are complicit as well.

African Americans have been articulating it peacefully for years and have been ignored. MLK called a riot the actions of the unheard.  Seems to me like Kap was trying to be heard short of a riot. 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh wow, yes. It's completely shifting blame of a terrible, violent crime and systemic issue onto the victim. Do better, man. 

It's really not though.  The media paints a picture that blacks are murdered by cops regularly and basically ignored the murders that happens between themselves. Cops aren't the worry. Theres really nothing I need to do better about, in this instance. 

The numbers can be skewed a lot of different ways. 

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Leaving out the flag all the time violates the US Flag code. If you haven’t read that should you really be saying somebody is being disrespectful to the flag?

The flag should be raised at dawn, or later. Ceremonies I attended at Fort Dix daily.  And taken down at dusk.  Never saw that, as normally I was still out in the field training.

The flag can be left out at night.. per code. If lighted. Or should be taken down during bad weather.

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's really not though.  The media paints a picture that blacks are murdered by cops regularly and basically ignored the murders that happens between themselves. Cops aren't the worry. Theres really nothing I need to do better about, in this instance. 

The numbers can be skewed a lot of different ways. 

Cops are agents of the government. People shouldn’t have to fear their govt 

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

I had a black neighbor. We lived in a safe area in the suburbs. We had some of these discussions. He was never the least bit concerned for his kids. He raised good kids that respected authority and knew not to put themselves in dangerous positions. What was expressed to you was obviously a concern, I just wanted to share that it is not universal. Maybe affected by his past, the area he lives?

And thee is a big difference between armed people in a statehouse and people burning police stations to the ground. 

Yes, there is a big difference. The armed people were white. That means they get a pass. I always wonder, what would have happened if those armed protestors storming the statehouses were black? What would have happened?

But I actually don't have to wonder, b/c I know what would have happened.

As far as worrying about your kids, it really doesn't matter how well you raise them or where they live. If they are black, they have to behave differently around cops and live with a level of fear that a white man does not have to deal with. It's great that your neighbor never felt this fear, but that does not discount the very real fear that my colleagues and friends feel.

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Meh, that's not really true either

Well it should be true, that was the original intent.  You aren't wrong, and in my opinion this coronavirus situation is pulling back the curtain like wizard of OZ.

Identity politics is used by both sides(uniparty) to keep us separated.  How else does a government keep us under control?

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well it should be true, that was the original intent.  You aren't wrong, and in my opinion this coronavirus situation is pulling back the curtain like wizard of OZ.

Identity politics is used by both sides(uniparty) to keep us separated.  How else does a government keep up under control?

You are exactly right. It was an intentional move. Modern data tracking and analytics combined with 24 hour entertainment news cycle has allowed them to succeed. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

You are exactly right. It was an intentional move. Modern data tracking and analytics combined with 24 hour entertainment news cycle has allowed them to succeed. 

I know we have disagreed on some things in the past, but you are on point.  Agreed.  

The discord has hit downtown Fort Wayne this evening. What started as a peaceful protest downtown took a turn of things being broken and cars jumped on. The FWPD responded by firing tear gas to disperse the crowd. Some reporters were hit. For the first time in a long time, I am actually going to tune in the local news tonight. 

From what I gathered in social media riots are going to continue till the weekend nearby towns in Minnesota are boarding up the businesses for the next couple of days. Live feeds from citizens in Minnesota on the ground are hearing that they are going to get worse from them hearing from social media groups that are organizing these riots. Most likely the reason why president trump signed executive law involving the use of social media.

1 hour ago, Calihoosier said:

From what I gathered in social media riots are going to continue till the weekend nearby towns in Minnesota are boarding up the businesses for the next couple of days. Live feeds from citizens in Minnesota on the ground are hearing that they are going to get worse from them hearing from social media groups that are organizing these riots. Most likely the reason why president trump signed executive law involving the use of social media.

That’s not even remotely what he signed a few days ago. Let alone is it a law. 

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s not even remotely what he signed a few days ago. Let alone is it a law. 

Don’t really know been oblivious to all this really only found out about the riots yesterday been staying away from news these past few weeks. Since it was all doom and gloom 24/7 just wanted to get away from it all then finally decided to take a glimpse yesterday and find out there’s chaos and looting going on from police brutality. This is one few times the old saying “ what have I been doing living under a rock”really hit home for me cause in my case it  was pretty much what happen to me. No wonder the freeway was hectic yesterday in Los Angeles  (protests were on the freeway) lol.

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

And why did he only get third degree murder charges? 

Probably because murder 1 requires some level of premeditation. Keep in mind a prosecutor is going to lay on charges that are most likely to stick.

Not a lawyer, but sat on a federal jury selection panel for the Grundy gang case last year and learned alot about judicial proceedings.

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well. All I can say is that nearly a dozen Denver Broncos took a knee on the field in support of Kap's initial taking of a knee during the playing of our National Anthem.  I became a Bronco fan in 1970 when I first moved to Colorado.  And until those Broncos took a knee... I only missed THREE games. Either in person, or on the tv.   Since then.... I have not ever watched again.  That's how strongly this Vietnam vet feels about disrespecting our flag and National Anthem.  Take it either way or both. Disrespect for the flag. And/or disrespect for our National Anthem. 

I actually had a discussion with a Bronco rep over this.  And all he did was defend what the Bronco players did.  I could not believe my ears.

I spent 12 years in scouting and understand flag etiquette.  How to fold it, fly it, and treat it. Also, have many family members serve in all branches.

Anyone who signs their butt away to uncle sam can fly the flag any damn way they please.  But when the anthem plays, I was taught to salute, hand over heart, or parade attention.  

Archived