Racial tensions

rico

Speculation in Louisville is that a lot of the more violent protestors were bused in from other cities/states, including Indianapolis.  This info is based on social media posts and protestors actually asking things like 'Where is the YUM! Center'.  

I'm sorry, but as bad as trashing a city is to begin with, when it is not even the one you live in, that's not looking for justice for some inequality.  That's just looking for an excuse to be destructive.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

The discord has hit downtown Fort Wayne this evening. What started as a peaceful protest downtown took a turn of things being broken and cars jumped on. The FWPD responded by firing tear gas to disperse the crowd. Some reporters were hit. For the first time in a long time, I am actually going to tune in the local news tonight. 

Watching it on the morning news right now...sad.  Another "protest" scheduled for this afternoon.

When I wake up and see photos of broken windows, businesses, graffiti on war memorials in downtown Indy here's what it makes me think. To the protesters who can actually protest peacefully....I applaud you. To the protesters who loot and break windows and cause damage.....all that's being accomplished there is strengthening stereotypes.

Not all cops are racists. Not all protesters are thugs. 

Probably going to sit the rest of this thread out. Infuriating topic.

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Let's assume it's legit. Proportionally, that means black folks get shot a hell of a lot more than white folks. 

Black people also commit violent crimes at a much, much higher rate than white people.  I remember reading somewhere that when you account for that white people are actually more likely to be shot by police.   I don't know if that's true but it's probably close to accurate. 

From Wikipedia:

HomicideEdit

According to the US Department of Justice, African Americans accounted for 52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with Whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for African Americans was almost 8 times higher than Whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of White victims killed by Whites, and 93% of African American victims were killed by African Americans.[49][50][51]

In 2013, African Americans accounted for 52.2% of all murder arrests, with Whites 45.3% and Asians/Native Americans 2.5%. Of the above, 21.7% were Hispanic.[52][53]

Blacks account for the majority of gun homicide victims/arrestees in the US while Whites account for the vast majority of non-gun homicide victims/arrestees. Of the gun murder victims in the United States between 2007–2016, 57% were black, 40.6% white (including Hispanic), 1.35% Asian, 0.98% unknown race and 0.48% Native American.

RobberyEdit

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey in 2002, robberies with white victims and black offenders were more than 12 times more common than vice versa.[61][62]

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Black people also commit violent crimes at a much, much higher rate than white people.  I remember reading somewhere that when you account for that white people are actually more likely to be shot by police.   I don't know if that's true but it's probably close to accurate. 

As someone mentioned earlier, all this violence, property damage, and looting sure as hell ain't helping any cause.

16 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

He taught them how to not be falsely accused of a crime?

No, It was never a concern to be worried about. Are you saying every black person gets falsely accused of a crime? I'm not saying it doesn't happen. That's like saying everyone who swims in the ocean should be worried about being eaten by a shark. Some people choose not to worry about things that are unlikely to happen. Knowing his kids, mine were more likely to have an encounter with the police than his were. 

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Let's assume it's legit. Proportionally, that means black folks get shot a hell of a lot more than white folks. 

Speaking for Chicago here, where I see a lot of news, black people commit more crime/ murders (over 50 shot last weekend), which leads to a heavier police presence in those areas. When they shoot at police, it is not unreasonable for them to be shot at. There needs to be respect on both sides. I see the police being spat upon, pelted by objects and show considerable restraint in most cases. Where there are bad apples, they need to be dealt with. Why was the MN officer still on the force with his history? That is a story I would like to see.

Based on what I saw in TV coverage of last night, I would express the following.

- Thank you to the authorities putting themselves at risk and exercising incredible patience and restraint in managing the protests (regardless of whether their tactics were more or less effective).

- Thank you to those who protested sincerely and peacefully, including protesters I observed actively trying to quell overly aggressive and violent elements within the broader group.

- Those who escalated protests to riots, even if the outrage was righteous, the methods are not acceptable due to the destructive effects on the community itself.

- Government and the criminal justice system have a lot of reform work to do to get at the root cause of this situation and establish more trust/confidence with the people.

- The previous two points not withstanding, the extreme measures are at least in part due to a lack of sufficient response by the powers that be to peaceful calls for reform/justice leading up to this point. 

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yes, there is a big difference. The armed people were white. That means they get a pass. I always wonder, what would have happened if those armed protestors storming the statehouses were black? What would have happened?

But I actually don't have to wonder, b/c I know what would have happened.

As far as worrying about your kids, it really doesn't matter how well you raise them or where they live. If they are black, they have to behave differently around cops and live with a level of fear that a white man does not have to deal with. It's great that your neighbor never felt this fear, but that does not discount the very real fear that my colleagues and friends feel.

It is a fact the white people did not destroy the state house. 

You do not know what would have happened, you have an opinion.

I already said, I completely understand why some people in some areas have that concern. When you get away from some big cities, understand some people may have different views. 

15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

No, It was never a concern to be worried about. Are you saying every black person gets falsely accused of a crime? I'm not saying it doesn't happen. That's like saying everyone who swims in the ocean should be worried about being eaten by a shark. Some people choose not to worry about things that are unlikely to happen. Knowing his kids, mine were more likely to have an encounter with the police than his were. 

You said he taught them how not to be involved in an incident like these. Which is blatantly not true. 

The girl is Louisville was asleep in her apartment.  You can’t teach somebody to not be killed unjustly by the police.  

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Speculation in Louisville is that a lot of the more violent protestors were bused in from other cities/states, including Indianapolis.  This info is based on social media posts and protestors actually asking things like 'Where is the YUM! Center'.  

I'm sorry, but as bad as trashing a city is to begin with, when it is not even the one you live in, that's not looking for justice for some inequality.  That's just looking for an excuse to be destructive.

I have seen where that has happened in other places. "Instigators" are brought in to start the trouble. Those people need to be punished.

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

It is a fact the white people did not destroy the state house. 

You do not know what would have happened, you have an opinion.

I already said, I completely understand why some people in some areas have that concern. When you get away from some big cities, understand some people may have different views. 

The protestors had tear gas fired at them before things turned violent. 

My granddaughter, age 17, went to the “peaceful protest “ in Ft Wayne last night. The crowd became much more aggressive and confrontational before the police fired the tear gas. My son saw what was going on via local tv and went down to get her out of the mess. Both of them were sick from the tear gas. She won’t be going back today 

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

My granddaughter, age 17, went to the “peaceful protest “ in Ft Wayne last night. The crowd became much more aggressive and confrontational before the police fired the tear gas. My son saw what was going on via local tv and went down to get her out of the mess. Both of them were sick from the tear gas. She won’t be going back today 

Talking about Minneapolis. 

Sorry. These aren't peaceful protesters. They are out to cause anarchy with the support of certain mayor's /police chiefs. It is reported that Chicago police are not to use violence against large crowds. I'd hate to be a business owner in a downtown area. They pay taxes so, in part, the police can protect their property = not stand down to violent mobs. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/mrandyngo/status/1266617184530264070?ref_url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.thegatewaypundit.com%2f2020%2f05%2fshock-video-leftist-rioters-ransack-police-hq-preliminary-courts-bldg-portland-oregon-many-came-prepared-chemicals-burn-weapons-maximum-damage%2f

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Got it, but Ft Wayne was mentioned and what happened there is pertinent. As are the comments about Louisville, Chicago and anywhere else there has been unrest 

Well I would imagine all these other places are feeding off the violence in Minneapolis.  

Almost a “Minny wasn’t allowed to protest peacefully” So when the police show up in riot gear things escalate quickly.  

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well I would imagine all these other places are feeding off the violence in Minneapolis.  

Almost a “Minny wasn’t allowed to protest peacefully” So when the police show up in riot gear things escalate quickly.  

SMH, 170 businesses destroyed in MN. After the curfew last night, police and national guard withdrew to give the "peaceful protesters), the ones kidnapping, burning, looting, ample space. What's peaceful about that? 

Didn't read all of the posts, this is just a topic that hit's home way too much! Don't believe me read my OP http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/6082-dancing-with-a-co-worker/&tab=comments#comment-187211

I could go on a pages long dissertation but I'll keep my comments to two short ones.

First, we are ALL racist's to some degree or other! Whether its simply being our preference in the people we hang with or full blown Racism, it's still racist and it's NOT just whites! 

Second, none of this is going to go away until we all accept the first comment, and then learn to start accepting and even enjoying each others cultures!

100% support and love to the peaceful protesters in every city last night. The protesters in our neighborhood last night were orderly, masked, AND actually practicing social distancing while they could. Families were cheering them from their windows and stoops. Total solidarity.

Certain factions of the NYPD behaved horribly last night, but they always do in these situations. I understand that it's tough to keep your cool, but we have a lot of hotheads incapable of de-escalating things. I have also interacted with some very cool and supportive NYPD officers. They are out there, but unfortunately they get overshadowed by some of their more ignorant and aggressive coworkers.

There were also protestors that got out of hand and overly aggressive. They are angry, feeling helpless, and itching to let out their frustrations. I get that. I feel it too.

As I type this, I do realize that many members of the police forces probably feel the same way. How frustrating must this be to the good cop (yes, they exist), who really does believe in supporting and protecting his/her community, to have that same community screaming at them? I've talked to some of these cops as they support and protect marathon runners, and my heart is also with them.

BUT, this country has a problem. It's not getting better. It's getting worse. I don't know what the solutions are, but it's not sitting on your butt and doing nothing while black and brown people are targeted and killed by the police.

Why did they have to use teargas on people in Fort Wayne? That did not look good from the video I saw. Any local people have non-Facebook insight on that? It looked like it was mostly peaceful families.

Archived