Racial tensions

rico

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Nope. Home - yes, business, no.

You don’t get to defend personal property with deadly force unless you are acting in self defense, as in you are threatened with physical harm.
That’s basic criminal law in basically every state except - wait for it - Texas, which is generally referred to as the one free shot state. 
In your home, if someone breaks in that’s usually a much more dangerous situation. 
This discussion started about a guy who stands in his business ready to shotgun down anyone who comes in. Get a grip - that’s murder, and unless he was physically threatened he’d be charged and would go to jail for murder 

I'm not talking about someone just walking through the door who might be a legitimate customer.  But if I had a store and someone knocks out the glass and climbs in with a crowbar they are getting shot.  How you could argue such person didn't deserve to be shot is beyond belief to me.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm not talking about someone just walking through the door who might be a legitimate customer.  But if I had a store and someone knocks out the glass and climbs in with a crowbar they are getting shot.  How you could argue such person didn't deserve to be shot is beyond belief to me.

Exactly. If the police would protect private property, there would be no need for citizens to do it. I can't fault someone for protecting their life savings. You can't count on insurance to make you whole. And you can't count on the police to be there when you need them. Kudos to those stepping up and protecting their neighborhood stores and their own businesses. 

22 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Exactly. If the police would protect private property, there would be no need for citizens to do it. I can't fault someone for protecting their life savings. You can't count on insurance to make you whole. And you can't count on the police to be there when you need them. Kudos to those stepping up and protecting their neighborhood stores and their own businesses. 

Isn't that sentiment exactly at the heart of these protests?? A population of people who feel like the police aren't protecting them. They feel like they can't count on the police and they're taking to the streets to be heard. Can't kudos be given to those demanding justice and equality?

*And to be clear: one shouldn't conflate Protestors and Looters. The latter group is finding opportunity through under the cover of the former.

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Valuing human life Shouldn’t be that hard to understand. But people not understanding it is why these protesters are out there so guess it is

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Home is different than a business. 

True, I think if your are defending yourself while operating your business then self defense should apply but going, knowing what you are getting into is taking your chances imo.  

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And you’ll go to jail 

The hell I will.

Listen, if you want to "give away" your stuff or let your car, house, or buildings go up in fire that is your business.

But I choose to protect all that is mine.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

The hell I will.

Listen, if you want to "give away" your stuff or let your car, house, or buildings go up in fire that is your business.

But I choose to protect all that is mine.

That’s not a legal defense. Feel free to try it though. Judges have a stressful job and could use the laugh. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

That cop should be charged with assault at the minimum.  If I did that I would be in a cell.  Getting real tired of these stooges abusing their "authority".

Makes my blood boil. This was from Friday night one street over from ours. Can you imagine if it was your daughter, your sister?

There were many other videos circulating of the NYPD attacking protestors from Friday. I think that's why our hood was so angry and torched so many police cars last night. One positive is that there was no looting of stores/homes in our area.

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

A vague threat is also not a legal defense 

If the y come inside your business and are stealing your stuff then you have the right to protect your property.  Last night in LA they were showing people busting windows of a shoe store and people going inside the business.  They had weapons to break the windows do once they stepped inside the owner has the right to protect their stuff.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Wait, you’re a lawyer and you’re posting this drivel? seriously? Have fun in jail. You don’t get to defend personal property with deadly force. And you ignored, again, the starting point here - guy stands in his shop with his shotgun waiting to shoot anyone who breaks in. Just stupid - no, you don’t get to play cops and robbers. 

Archived