Racial tensions

rico

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am still trying to understand the legal precedent that says that the person who is being victimized, whose property is being stolen, damaged or destroyed, has to pause to determine the intent of the perpetrator.

If I am a business owner, and my windows are broken, I’d view both the rock being thrown, as well as the flying glass as potential lethal weapons. Whether the intent of the person throwing them was to kill me is not something I would wait to determine.

All that said, we saw this all about 25 years ago. Pretty sure someone who got the bejesus kicked out of him famously asked, “Can’t we all just get along?”

I am thinking about a person robbing a bank who has not shown a weapon and the person starts running out of the bank and the security guard tries to stop him.  If the robber does not stop does the bank security just suppose to let them go without firing.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Well said. I was trying to switch the convo back to why we're in this situation to begin with. 

We all understand why it is happening but I still stand by what I said earlier and that the people who are looting and rioting are not protesting. I saw a couple of guys who are part of the Black lives matters who set up the protest in Indy and they are against all the rioting.  Everyone needs to go about getting the change that is needed in a different way because rioting and looting is not the right way to get change.

6 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

We are talking a whole lot more about looting than we are about systemic police violence against POC.  

Which does not give a person the right to vandalize innocent businesses.   Hey, I'm fine if a person related to Chauvet does something directly to him personally.  But, don't take it out on his family or the CVS or Subway on the corner.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am thinking about a person robbing a bank who has not shown a weapon and the person starts running out of the bank and the security guard tries to stop him.  If the robber does not stop does the bank security just suppose to let them go without firing.

In 1981 a Gary, Indiana police lieutenant. Who happened to be in the area, responded to a silent alarm.  Three robbers left the bank. With money in hand. Never brandishing anything more than a note.  Left the bank. And as they were outside of the bank, and the Gary police officer pulled up.... opened up with guns and killed him on the spot.

That police officer was the father of a fellow high school friend of mine.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

In 1981 a Gary, Indiana police lieutenant. Who happened to be in the area, responded to a silent alarm.  Three robbers left the bank. With money in hand. Never brandishing anything more than a note.  Left the bank. And as they were outside of the bank, and the Gary police officer pulled up.... opened up with guns and killed him on the spot.

That police officer was the father of a fellow high school friend of mine.

So did the police get arrested

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So did the police get arrested

Actually quite a story.  After shooting him, one of the three walked up to him to put more bullets in him. To make sure he was dead.  Then they jumped into their car. As other police cars pulled up. A high speed chase ensued, through my old neighborhood.  Before they crashed into a tree.  Foot chase ensued.  Two of them broke into a house a few houses down from my house.  Eventually all three were captured. And went to prison. But released after 20 years.

As for the policeman.  He served with the U.S. Army. During WWII.  Was captured by the German's and spent a long time in captivity.... till the war ended.  At the time of his killing he was just 6 months short of retirement, after serving nearly 20 years on the police force.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Actually quite a story.  After shooting him, one of the three walked up to him to put more bullets in him. To make sure he was dead.  Then they jumped into their car. As other police cars pulled up. A high speed chase ensued, through my old neighborhood.  Before they crashed into a tree.  Foot chase ensued.  Two of them broke into a house a few houses down from my house.  Eventually all three were captured. And went to prison. But released after 20 years.

As for the policeman.  He served with the U.S. Army. During WWII.  Was captured by the German's and spent a long time in captivity.... till the war ended.  At the time of his killing he was just 6 months short of retirement, after serving nearly 20 years on the police force.

I guess I misunderstood you because I thought the cop killed one of the robbers

Just saw more pictures from the riots in Indy last night and there were white people down their looting as well.  It is just not a race thing when talking about the riots but it is about bad people doing this.  Saw two white guys busting a window and then started a fire and if they came into my business I would feel the same exact thing.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just saw more pictures from the riots in Indy last night and there were white people down their looting as well.  It is just not a race thing when talking about the riots but it is about bad people doing this.  Saw two white guys busting a window and then started a fire and if they came into my business I would feel the same exact thing.

Watched what went on in Indianapolis on an Indianapolis TV station I have on Roku.  I am telling you... it was really bad. Well, I guess I don't have to tell you that.

I have a neice who lives in Columbus, Ohio. Needed to make a trip downtown. Business related. Got caught up in the "protest" there Saturday.  And said she was scared for her life.

Two large, peaceful protests have been going on for the last couple of hours on each side of us. One at Barclays Center, the other at Grand Army Plaza. It's been a quiet day so far with family friendly types out mingling with BLM protestors. Cars and buses are honking their support as they drive by. 

In the last 15-20 minutes, we are hearing nothing but police cars up and down Flatbush and Washington Aves. Police helicopters are also arriving.

In Prospect Park, a group of protestors were walking through the great lawn and everyone in the park was standing and cheering them on.

We are listening to sirens and helicopters from our terrace right now and desperately hoping things hold together.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Watched what went on in Indianapolis on an Indianapolis TV station I have on Roku.  I am telling you... it was really bad. Well, I guess I don't have to tell you that.

I have a neice who lives in Columbus, Ohio. Needed to make a trip downtown. Business related. Got caught up in the "protest" there Saturday.  And said she was scared for her life.

I guess tonight they are closing exits off the interstate that goes to downtown tonight.  Also they are closing parks and trails tonight at 8.

Also people are forgetting that some of these business owners are minorities and they are hurting them as well.  They interviewed a black couple who had around 150,000 damaged to their store.

Local Ft Wayne news just aired statistics refuting the mayor’s statement that many of the protesters arrested were not local. According to arrest numbers only 20 of the almost 100 people arrested were not from Ft Wayne. And of those 20, most were from surrounding communities.

At least in Ft Wayne, out of town protesters don’t seem to be a problem 

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess tonight they are closing exits off the interstate that goes to downtown tonight.  Also they are closing parks and trails tonight at 8.

Also people are forgetting that some of these business owners are minorities and they are hurting them as well.  They interviewed a black couple who had around 150,000 damaged to their store.

Indianapolis curfew: Curfew imposed from 8 p.m. Sunday to 6 a.m. Monday

I have been following a truck driver for years. Who delivers food throughout the Midwest.  And drives I-65 and I-465 a lot.  With the food shortages that have gone on, due to the pandemic....I hope this not impact the delivery of food in the Midwest.

And in other news :

Europe George Floyd protests: Demonstrators gather in London, Berlin, Toronto 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Indianapolis curfew: Curfew imposed from 8 p.m. Sunday to 6 a.m. Monday

I have been following a truck driver for years. Who delivers food throughout the Midwest.  And drives I-65 and I-465 a lot.  With the food shortages that have gone on, due to the pandemic....I hope this not impact the delivery of food in the Midwest.

And in other news :

Europe George Floyd protests: Demonstrators gather in London, Berlin, Toronto 

What is bad some of these business have been closed for months because of the pandemic and just reopened this week.

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Walmart in town closed at 5 today. Saw several police going inside as it was closing  The cops are protecting what’s important to the powers that be I guess. 

Good.  Better to be proactive, than not.   What town is that ?

Archived