Racial tensions

rico

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Those are still not their personal possessions. The business experience those damages and that really sucks, but it isn't that same as their personal possessions. 

That is how they make their living and they have to buy those products to put in their stores so it is their possessions.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

The Secret Service has just issued a statement.  That for people around the White House to stay away.  And they have moved to have the President of the United States... to the underground bunker. For his protection.

And NO... this is not a political statement.  Just a comment on the current state of affairs in our country.

Is this happening now? Did it happen Friday or Saturday night? Or both?

Just now, D-BONE said:

Is this happening now? Did it happen Friday or Saturday night? Or both?

The President was taken to the underground bunker under the White House.... tonight..... Sunday...May 31, 2020

Again this is not a political statement.  Rather what is going on in our country.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing U am worrying about is with all the protesting going on it will cause another major outbreak of the virus.

Not only the "protestors" I have seen in close proximity of each other in Denver.  Rarely, have I seen any wearing a mask.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Two wrongs don’t make a right my toddler understands that 

Exactly.  A man murdered in Minneapolis should not result in business owners across the entire country having their businesses destroyed.  Even my toddler understands that as well. 

I'm glad we are in agreement. 

So, let's arrest the officers at fault in the Minneapolis murders. 

Let's arrest everyone that is smashing windows and looting stores.

And, let's let peaceful protestors do what they need to do.

Does everyone in this discussion agree to that? 

If not, please explain why.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Tell that to the black couple downtown Indy who owns there own business that had 150,000 of damages.

This'll sound more snide than I mean (maybe), but isn't that what insurance is for?

I get that it's not a fail safe, full cover, wipe-your-hands-free situation, but still...

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Those are still not their personal possessions. The business experience those damages and that really sucks, but it isn't that same as their personal possessions. 

Are you seriously defending looters and vandals?  The police involved in Minneapolis should be arrested and charged appropriately.  But, so should the people committing these other crimes.  Let's stop making excuses for behavior on both sides.  Being a policeman does not give one the right to kill someone.  But, being feeling wronged by that action also does not give someone the right to destroy property that does not belong to them and that has nothing to do with the Minneapolis murder. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly.  A man murdered in Minneapolis should not result in business owners across the entire country having their businesses destroyed.  Even my toddler understands that as well. 

In a vacuum, I am 100% behind this. In addition, let's focus on the root causes of the protest and advocate for substantive change.

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

This'll sound more snide than I mean (maybe), but isn't that what insurance is for?

I get that it's not a fail safe, full cover, wipe-your-hands-free situation, but still...

They have been closed for the last few months already because of the pandemic and now they have to deal with this.

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

Insurance may pay for the physical damage.  But insurance is not going to pay for lost business while you have been closed for making repairs.  Or, pay for lost business because people do not feel safe visiting that part of town while all of this is going on.

I'm sorry, but that's a weak argument for trying to justify what's being done. 

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The fact that you value a businesses property more than a person's life says a lot about you. 

I'm not personally religious, but if you are, I can't imagine whatever god you believe in would look kindly on someone with such hate for humanity. 

It says a lot about me?  What knowledge about me have you gleaned from this thread?  Have you figured out why I feel the way I do, or do you not care?  Let me fill in some of the blanks.  Many years ago, my grandfather (a WW2 vet for what it's worth) was closing up the family restaurant for the night.  He was in his business, not his home.  Someone came in and murdered him for a couple of hundred dollars.  So, while you might find me repulsive for not having sympathy and compassion for the looters, my family history prevents me.  My grandfather died, the business never reopened, and the case was never closed.  All that he worked for was gone.  Maybe if he had been armed things would be different today.  Certainly if he had shot the intruder first things would be different.  I don't hate humanity, but I do hate those that look to prey on others.  So, judge me if you must, but know that nothing you say can change my past.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Living a life that only shows minimal ways to success due to your environment, regardless of your own actions, alters ones perception on what normal society considers right and wrong.  I agree with the premise of your post, however we all have our own perception and it's hard to put yourself in a different reality like others may live and understand their perceptions...

it's all messed up, wish I knew the answer to fix it.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Insurance may pay for the physical damage.  But insurance is not going to pay for lost business while you have been closed for making repairs.  Or, pay for lost business because people do not feel safe visiting that part of town while all of this is going on.

I'm sorry, but that's a weak argument for trying to justify what's being done. 

Was just about to post the same thing. Till I read your spot on post.  What do they do till the insurance money comes in, and the repairs are finished ?  And will the insurance pay for their lost income in the meantime.  I suppose an Umbrella policy might cover the lost income. However, I doubt, if it was not specifically written into the policy.

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

It says a lot about me?  What knowledge about me have you gleaned from this thread?  Have you figured out why I feel the way I do, or do you not care?  Let me fill in some of the blanks.  Many years ago, my grandfather (a WW2 vet for what it's worth) was closing up the family restaurant for the night.  He was in his business, not his home.  Someone came in and murdered him for a couple of hundred dollars.  So, while you might find me repulsive for not having sympathy and compassion for the looters, my family history prevents me.  My grandfather died, the business never reopened, and the case was never closed.  All that he worked for was gone.  Maybe if he had been armed things would be different today.  Certainly if he had shot the intruder first things would be different.  I don't hate humanity, but I do hate those that look to prey on others.  So, judge me if you must, but know that nothing you say can change my past.

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your grandfather.  Especially in the way he lost his life.

America.   We've GOT to do better.

3 minutes ago, Who-Dey Hoosier said:

Living a life that only shows minimal ways to success due to your environment, regardless of your own actions, alters ones perception on what normal society considers right and wrong.  I agree with the premise of your post, however we all have our own perception and it's hard to put yourself in a different reality like others may live and understand their perceptions...

it's all messed up, wish I knew the answer to fix it.

I salute your post in the spirit of trying to put yourselves in others' shoes. It may not be possible to be 100% empathetic, but just trying is worth its weight in gold.

7 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I respect the line about those that look to prey on others. I am truly sorry for your family's loss/suffering.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your grandfather.  Especially in the way he lost his life.

America.   We've GOT to do better.

Thanks Mile, it's truly a wound that never heals, and one I never like to talk about, but watching these people (black and white) destroying family businesses, well, that's like picking the scab off.

4 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Game...Set...Match

Perfect post for this topic.  And, so sorry for your loss Muddy River,

It's easy to attach a label to someone based on their beliefs.  But, so often that judgment is done with no context or facts to back it up.

Approximately 20 years ago I dated a woman who had multi-racial children.  I would have married her if she felt the same way about me as I did her.  I saw first hand what both she and her children dealt with.  But, she raised her children to be strong and be better than the hate.  They are grown up today and they all understand the right way and the wrong way to deal with injustice.  

11 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Sorry for your loss, truly. 

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed. But still not allowed to murder them for looting call the police instead. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

honestly, a lot of this makes me angry because off how idiotically moronic it is to assert anyone has the “right” to shoot and kill someone, out of fear that someone “might” actually threaten them, while stealing.

While I appreciate everyone's sympathies, I really don't want to make this about me or my personal tragedy.  I felt compelled to share after reading the comment above, and KOB's "It says a lot about you" post.  I'm already regretting I brought it up.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Right now at 10 o'clock it looks like s ghost in downtown Indianapolis

That's good to know. Too bad that does not seem to be the case in NYC.  Looks like all heck is breaking out, again.  As I watch tv at 10:20 EST Sunday night.

Stay safe "Lost in 76".

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

While I appreciate everyone's sympathies, I really don't want to make this about me or my personal tragedy.  I felt compelled to share after reading the comment above, and KOB's "It says a lot about you" post.  I'm already regretting I brought it up.

Please don't regret it.  It makes a powerful statement.  It's so easy to pass judgement and call people 'idiotically moronic' without facts or context.

Personally, I have a great job and a nice life.  But, while some may look at me and see 'privilege' and think I have no idea what it means to overcome, they would be wrong.  My dad grew up in extreme poverty.  He was one of 13 children and my grandfather made a living doing odd jobs.  My mother grew up on a farm, and likewise had little money growing up.  But, growing up with nothing did not stop my dad from working his butt off, instilling in his kids a a strong work ethic, and providing a better life for his family.  As a parent, I've dealt with a life-threatening disease with one of my own children. And, I shared earlier the story of the woman I dated with the multi-racial children.  

So, no, I'm not sitting on a throne somewhere passing unfair judgment on people without having first hand knowledge of what they have had to overcome.  My position is built solely on what is right and wrong, and without making excuses for behavior that is legally and morally wrong.    

Archived