Racial tensions

rico

I'll have to dive into Minnesota law later but filing 3rd degree murder means there wasn't intent. 2nd degree would have brought intent and premeditation and I think would be very difficult to prove at a trial....probably the reason for filing 3rd degree. No clue how this plays out.

From a legal perspective only if I'm this officer I take my chances at trial....his life is already ruined because of his despicable and horrible actions. Probably worth the risk and again....this is only from that point of view. What he did was horrible.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a graphic from 2018 that breaks down the population by age group.  Age is a key factor.  I don't have any specific details, but I would suspect that most violent crimes are committed by people in the 18-45 age groups.

Some interesting trends.  One question I have is when things like crime statistics are reported by race and ethnicity, how are Mixed and Other reporte?.  

Age Criteria US Population by Race and Ethnicity (In Percentage)
White Hispanic Mixed Black Asian Other
0 to 4 years 50.4 16.2 6.82 14.2 4.47 7.96
5 to 9 years 52.7 15.4 5.73 14.0 4.61 7.59
10 to 14 years 54.4 14.5 4.99 14.5 4.36 7.24
15 to 17 years 55.6 13.5 4.39 15.0 4.27 7.15
18 & 19 years 55.7 12.9 3.99 15.6 4.56 7.25
20 to 24 years 56.8 12.6 3.24 14.8 5.17 7.34
25 to 29 years 57.8 12.7 2.71 13.2 6.00 7.56
30 to 34 years 57.5 13.0 2.47 13.1 6.33 7.51
35 to 44 years 60.4 11.81 2.04 12.8 6.23 6.65
45 to 54 years 68.3 8.38 1.61 12.3 4.75 4.64
55 to 64 years 74.0 6.27 1.31 10.86 4.35 3.18
65 to 74 years 77.8 5.61 1.08 9.24 3.95 2.34
75 to 84 years 80.6 5.20 0.86 8.10 3.42 1.78
85 years and above 83.9 4.16 0.68 7.08 2.80 1.31

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll have to dive into Minnesota law later but filing 3rd degree murder means there wasn't intent. 2nd degree would have brought intent and premeditation and I think would be very difficult to prove at a trial....probably the reason for filing 3rd degree. No clue how this plays out.

From a legal perspective only if I'm this officer I take my chances at trial....his life is already ruined because of his despicable and horrible actions. Probably worth the risk and again....this is only from that point of view. What he did was horrible.

Understanding that he had at least 18 prior complaints prior to the most recent incident.  Not an attorney.  Just wondering if this can be brought up in court for this infraction ?

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

A trial, and the related media coverage, will add to the tension.  But, I don't think the state really can accept anything short of a murder conviction.  I don't see any way a plea bargain for something like manslaughter or even reckless homicide can be on the table.

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I don't think anyone is saying that they should "only fear the cops," but that's a legitimate and heartbreaking fear that white men and boys don't really need to worry about.

And, our department addresses and is concerned with ALL causes of death, violence, and disparities for brown and black people. And white people as well.

I had a black neighbor. We lived in a safe area in the suburbs. We had some of these discussions. He was never the least bit concerned for his kids. He raised good kids that respected authority and knew not to put themselves in dangerous positions. What was expressed to you was obviously a concern, I just wanted to share that it is not universal. Maybe affected by his past, the area he lives?

And thee is a big difference between armed people in a statehouse and people burning police stations to the ground. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Understanding that he had at least 18 prior complaints prior to the most recent incident.  Not an attorney.  Just wondering if this can be brought up in court for this infraction ?

Not an attorney either. My better half is. Like with any answer it certainly would be contested heavy on both sides....would it prejudice a jury unfairly?? We'll find out in a few years.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

A trial, and the related media coverage, will add to the tension.  But, I don't think the state really can accept anything short of a murder conviction.  I don't see any way a plea bargain for something like manslaughter or even reckless homicide can be on the table.

Yep...and here in lies the rub. What would be worse. This guy going away for 15 years and people being ticked off with him being home in 7-8 years...... or walking. I don't envy the prosecutor having to try and explain that scenario to the public down the road or which way they choose this one. I'm not saying Rodney King but you never know.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I had a black neighbor. We lived in a safe area in the suburbs. We had some of these discussions. He was never the least bit concerned for his kids. He raised good kids that respected authority and knew not to put themselves in dangerous positions. What was expressed to you was obviously a concern, I just wanted to share that it is not universal. Maybe affected by his past, the area he lives?

And thee is a big difference between armed people in a statehouse and people burning police stations to the ground. 

I have no tolerance for either situation.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

It can and will be

Defense will object on relevance. I'd be surprised if at least some of it doesn't get in. Generally speaking the judge in any state trial has a fair amount of discretion on what evidence is relevant.

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

He taught them how to not be falsely accused of a crime?

Just had a nurse come in and warned me that they heard protesters are being bused into towns like Rochester.  Visiting hours at the hospital are over at 6pm and the wife is coming up for the night.  So much for a nice family walk with our dog.  

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well. All I can say is that nearly a dozen Denver Broncos took a knee on the field in support of Kap's initial taking of a knee during the playing of our National Anthem.  I became a Bronco fan in 1970 when I first moved to Colorado.  And until those Broncos took a knee... I only missed THREE games. Either in person, or on the tv.   Since then.... I have not ever watched again.  That's how strongly this Vietnam vet feels about disrespecting our flag and National Anthem.  Take it either way or both. Disrespect for the flag. And/or disrespect for our National Anthem. 

I actually had a discussion with a Bronco rep over this.  And all he did was defend what the Bronco players did.  I could not believe my ears.

Don’t get how it’s disrespectful. Respect or disrespect is based on the intent of the action.  

Your choosing to perceive it as disrespectful  

If something doesn’t violate the flag code is it really disrespectful? The ironic thing is I have never been to a 4th of July party that didn’t violate the flag code. Nobody complains about that. 

Personally I find the 99% of people that leave their flag out 24/7 to be more disrespectful than somebody kneeling. 

On topic. WTF why did only one guy get arrested?

Just now, BDB said:

Just had a nurse come in and warned me that they heard protesters are being bused into towns like Rochester.  Visiting hours at the hospital are over at 6pm and the wife is coming up for the night.  So much for a nice family walk with our dog.  

Where do you live? 

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Personally I find the 99% of people that leave their flag out 24/7 to be more disrespectful than somebody kneeling. 

I can't even organize a thought on how to respond to this statement.

My perception is that the majority of people that leave their flags out 24/7 are veterans or Americans of an older generation.  Whatever else you may think of them, the majority of veterans deserve respect for what they have done to protect our freedom.   As far as those of an older generation, I would venture to say there is a very small percentage. dare I say miniscule, of people in the U.S. that would actually believe that older people are less respectful than younger generations.  

So, for you to say 99%, I'm curious as to your rationale.  Sure, just like in any comparison, there are flag waving people that do not merit respect.  But, 99%? That's not remotely close to a reasonable number. 

35 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Don’t get how it’s disrespectful. Respect or disrespect is based on the intent of the action.  

If something doesn’t violate the flag code is it really disrespectful? The ironic thing is I have never been to a 4th of July party that didn’t violate the flag code. Nobody complains about that. 

I respect your opinion. And think that is how Kap should have expressed himself. As you have.  Speaking out, rather than taking a knee during the National Anthem.

As for my flag.  I light it at night. As I have already posted.  And always. Always.  Take in down in bad weather.  See. I respect our great American flag. Can't speak for others.

Can agree with you wondering why.... only one guy got arrested.  To me. The other three are complicit as well.

41 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Kaepernick did that because he sucked at professional football and needed some attention.  

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can't even organize a thought on how to respond to this statement.

My perception is that the majority of people that leave their flags out 24/7 are veterans or Americans of an older generation.  Whatever else you may think of them, the majority of veterans deserve respect for what they have done to protect our freedom.   As far as those of an older generation, I would venture to say there is a very small percentage. dare I say miniscule, of people in the U.S. that would actually believe that older people are less respectful than younger generations.  

So, for you to say 99%, I'm curious as to your rationale.  Sure, just like in any comparison, there are flag waving people that do not merit respect.  But, 99%? That's not remotely close to a reasonable number. 

There's a stretch of the Monon where I do my daily walks/runs. Just after this pandemic started someone put American flags every 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I like the reminders every single day of this. America is awesome and we should be thankful for those proudly showing support for our flag. 

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

I hope they've also gone over the amount of black on black crime and to be aware of that, as well. 

Obviously these officers are 99% guilty, but let's not pretend a young black man should only fear the cops. 

This is a terrible post bro. It's on par with asking what a girl was wearing when she was raped. 

4 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Does anyone have actual data on how many black folks, and how many white folks are killed per year by cops?  

Found this, not sure how legit it is

Screenshot_20200529-132712_Chrome.jpg

Let's assume it's legit. Proportionally, that means black folks get shot a hell of a lot more than white folks. 

Archived