How patient should IUBB fans be ? Before Archie gets a National Championship. 14.9 Years ?

With the lone exception of Tx Western, (1966) all the national champs are from top tier schools.

I'd be more interested to see the stats on how long it took a coach to win a championship AFTER he arrived at one of the top tier schools, instead of how many years he's been a head coach.

12 minutes ago, DWB said:

With the lone exception of Tx Western, (1966) all the national champs are from top tier schools.

I'd be more interested to see the stats on how long it took a coach to win a championship AFTER he arrived at one of the top tier schools, instead of how many years he's been a head coach.

I agree.
The article is of interest but it shows, as an example , that it took Calhoun 27 years to win a natty.  Looking under the hood, however, he spent the first 14 years at Northeastern (not a shocker he did not win there) and then he was hired at UConn in ‘86 when UCONN had not been as far as the Elite 8 since 1964. It’s hard to judge the time needed for a coach to win it all without the context of knowing the opportunities the coaches had.

2 hours ago, DWB said:

I looked some of the coaches up to see how long it took them at their school that they won their first championship.

Wooden- 16th season

RMK- 5th

Smith- 21st

Boheim- 28th

Coach K- 11th

Calhoun- 11th

Williams at KU 0 in 15 years, at UNC 2nd

Self- 5th

Pitino- UK 7th, UL 8th(vacated)

Calapari- 3rd

Thanks guys for participating in this thread, during the pandemic.   Mention was made of Texas Western,by DWB,  And I can't help but say that National Championship team had two players from Gary, Indiana.  Both of which I watched play in high school. Plus a movie was made about their season and championship.

Glory Road 

OK..... now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic,

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I looked some of the coaches up to see how long it took them at their school that they won their first championship.

Wooden- 16th season

RMK- 5th

Smith- 21st

Boheim- 28th

Coach K- 11th

Calhoun- 11th

Williams at KU 0 in 15 years, at UNC 2nd

Self- 5th

Pitino- UK 7th, UL 8th(vacated)

Calapari- 3rd

Why no Purdue coaches?  :coffee:

If we’re consistently making deep runs into the NCAA tournament, I don’t care how long it takes. I mean what, are you going to fire a coach who doesn’t win a N.C. but is consistently over time in the Final Four/Elite 8? The reality is that there aren’t many coaches who can do that with any sort of regularity and you’d be an idiot to fire one for not winning the big one because it would almost guarantee a step down.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

In the interest of fairness, it did take Ward "Piggy" Lambert 16 years to capture the coveted Helms Banner for the Boilerbubbers...😁

In fairness to Coach Lanmbert, as well.  He took two years off to serve in the U.S. Army, during WWI

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's all I ask. Is that IU is consistently in play to win Big 10. We do that part....F4's and titles will take care of itself.

Completely agree. Been saying this for 10+ years on HSN, compete consistently for Big Ten 10 titles, winning your fair share, and the rest will take care of itself over time. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. Been saying this for 10+ years on HSN, compete consistently for Big Ten 10 titles, winning your fair share, and the rest will take care of itself over time. 

I despise using Wisconsin as an example but I will. Bo consistently had them in top 3 every single year and it delivered Final Four's.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I despise using Wisconsin as an example but I will. Bo consistently had them in top 3 every single year and it delivered Final Four's.

Yup, and could say the same for Izzo, Matta (though he might have just gone to 1 Final Four), Beilein, Tony Bennett, Roy Williams pre his first title, etc., etc.

I’m not going to be upset with Archie and we haven’t won a championship in even 10 years if we are at least in the mix every year. 

The reason why Duke has been so successful is because in the last 30 years they have had enough talent to win it probably 27 of those years.   

The key is to be in the mix every year.  And it will come.  

The goal is to win banners, but it isn't the criteria for success.  Hopefully our stretch of mediocrity has taught us that once we get the coach/teams that can compete for championships on a regular basis, we are "there".  Winning it all takes a lot of things going right - and luck does play into it (getting the right opponents in the tourney or peaking and avoiding injuries in March).

On 5/31/2020 at 9:30 AM, Zuckerkorn said:

The goal is to win banners, but it isn't the criteria for success.  Hopefully our stretch of mediocrity has taught us that once we get the coach/teams that can compete for championships on a regular basis, we are "there".  Winning it all takes a lot of things going right - and luck does play into it (getting the right opponents in the tourney or peaking and avoiding injuries in March).

"Luck is what happens when opportunity meets preparation" - always one of my favorite sports quotes

One of the most confounding things to me has been how Mike Davis made it to a final game.  Don't get me wrong. I wanted to see him pull it off.

However.

So much comes into play, IMHO to get to a final game... and win it all.  Seeding. And who goes down before you.  Sometimes.  It's not a question of how good of coach you are. But simply luck. And  a roll of the dice.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

One of the most confounding things to me has been how Mike Davis made it to a final game.  Don't get me wrong. I wanted to see him pull it off.

However.

So much comes into play, IMHO to get to a final game... and win it all.  Seeding. And who goes down before you.  Sometimes.  It's not a question of how good of coach you are. But simply luck. And  a roll of the dice.

It helped that USC lost in the first round and hot to play a 10 seed in the elite 8.

Its all about seeding and luck.
If you can consistently be in the top 3 seeds in the tourney and pull a little luck, you're going to have a shot a NC

That requires IU to be in the top3 of the B1G every year AND have a solid to tough Non-Con schedule.  Can't have a 200 level Non-Con and expect to get a top seed
We need a better balance of both.

JMO

Archived