Iowa Post Game Thread

Solid win, a loss in that game would have Put the team in a tough spot. Really good to see Hartman get it going, and Morgan is really turning into a consistent player and the leader of the team, and it’s always so fun to see the light go on for a player. Morgan is no longer thinking the game, he’s just straight playing and really controlling the pace. 

A few other thoughts...

- RoJo is playing a really good floor game (though had a couple of the bad turnovers today) but man this team desparately needs him to be consistent from the perimeter. He’s just got to regain his confidence. 

- Davis is either going to have to figure out the free throws and/or finish better in the paint, or his playing time is going to continue to be closer to 18-20 minutes. 

- Same as RoJo, the maturation of this team is also going to depend on Green becoming consistent, especially from the perimeter offensively. He’s got the talent and skill, but being able to count on him on a nightly basis would really elevate this team. 

I did not mean to be negative, just commenting on some things that could elevate this team. Most of it are consistency issues. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Solid win, a loss in that game would have Put the team in a tough spot. Really good to see Hartman get it going, and Morgan is really turning into a consistent player and the leader of the team, and it’s always so fun to see the light go on for a player. Morgan is no longer thinking the game, he’s just straight playing and really controlling the pace. 

A few other thoughts...

- RoJo is playing a really good floor game (though had a couple of the bad turnovers today) but man this team desparately needs him to be consistent from the perimeter. He’s just got to regain his confidence. 

- Davis is either going to have to figure out the free throws and/or finish better in the paint, or his playing time is going to continue to be closer to 18-20 minutes. 

- Same as RoJo, the maturation of this team is also going to depend on Green becoming consistent, especially from the perimeter offensively. He’s got the talent and skill, but being able to count on him on a nightly basis would really elevate this team. 

I did not mean to be negative, just commenting on some things that could elevate this team. Most of it are consistency issues. 

Finishing in the paint.  De'ron reminds me of Cody Zeller.  You have been around along enough to recall how much I ragged on Cody's inability to finish in the paint. Cody and De'Ron.  Two guys who I love.  Cody never finished as a Hoosier.  Gonna give De'Ron time to figure it out.  One thing though....Cody had smarts..... and De'Ron knows how to look for and find the open man when he is doubled and tripled teamed.  De'Ron is a better free throw shooter than he is showing at present. Based on what I have seen from him in the past. His free throw issues, IMHO are only mental, what with the staff making an issue of them. However, De'Ron is a very unselfish player, willing to find and give the ball up to an open man.Something we did not even see so much from, bless his heart, Cody Zeller, during his abbreviated time in Candy Stripes.  For me, that more than makes up for De'Ron's  issues at the free throw line, which I am convinced can be over come in time.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Finishing in the paint.  De'ron reminds me of Cody Zeller.  You have been around along enough to recall how much I ragged on Cody's inability to finish in the paint. Cody and De'Ron.  Two guys who I love.  Cody never finished as a Hoosier.  Gonna give De'Ron time to figure it out.  One thing though....Cody had smarts..... and De'Ron knows how to look for and find the open man when he is doubled and tripled teamed.  De'Ron is a better free throw shooter than he is showing at present. Based on what I have seen from him in the past. His free throw issues, IMHO are only mental, what with the staff making an issue of them. However, De'Ron is a very unselfish player, willing to find and give the ball up to an open man.Something we did not even see so much from, bless his heart, Cody Zeller, during his abbreviated time in Candy Stripes.  For me, that more than makes up for De'Ron's  issues at the free throw line, which I am convinced can be over come in time.

Zeller’s issues were strength, De’Ron’s is athleticism. He’s just very limited athletically and even at 6’10” he can’t score over people consistently, he has to go through them which draws a lot of fouls. I agree De’Rons free throw issues are mental, as he was one of the teams better free throw shooters last year. 

Agree he unselfish and a good passer (though I think Zeller is/was too) which is great, but IU is going to play inside out he’s got too finish better and start hitting the free throws. 

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Zeller was a great passer. I think he was better than Davis at everything on a basketball court. 

I like Davis, but it's not fair to him or Cody to compare them right now. Cody is better in the NBA than Davis is in college. 

You can start to see the core group of upperclassmen leaders starting to coalesce a little.  Juwan is playing the best basketball of his career and dominating right now.  Hartman provided a huge boost tonight, and is already one of the better scorers on the team.  RoJo is playing good defense, but just hasn’t been clicking on offense.  If he can figure out his jumper and Hartman can continue getting his legs under him, those three can make us a pretty decent team.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Really disappointed in Freddie's play the last few mins. He could have cared less that he was out there. Guys like that are a cancer and can go with CuJo.

I just got done watching the game on my DVR.  Morgan was in Freddiie's face when the team was lining up for the handshake.  I wonder if that's related to your observation.

Speaking of Morgan.  A lot of people dogged him earlier in the year.  He's turning into the heart and soul of this team.  

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You can start to see the core group of upperclassmen leaders starting to coalesce a little.  Juwan is playing the best basketball of his career and dominating right now.  Hartman provided a huge boost tonight, and is already one of the better scorers on the team.  RoJo is playing good defense, but just hasn’t been clicking on offense.  If he can figure out his jumper and Hartman can continue getting his legs under him, those three can make us a pretty decent team.

You can see the core developing of Morgan, RoJo, Davis, Al, Newkirk, Hartman, and Green. That’s a solid core that can make the tourney if  a couple of those guys can manage to provide some consistent shooting. 

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I just got done watching the game on my DVR.  Morgan was in Freddiie's face when the team was lining up for the handshake.  I wonder if that's related to your observation.

Speaking of Morgan.  A lot of people dogged him earlier in the year.  He's turning into the heart and soul of this team.  

I saw that with Morgan and Freddie. Freddie didn't look like he cared then either.

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You can see the core developing of Morgan, RoJo, Davis, Al, Newkirk, Hartman, and Green. That’s a solid core that can make the tourney if  a couple of those guys can manage to provide some consistent shooting. 

Completely with you on that core. IMO, it really comes down to Newkirk and Green. We know what Morgan, RoJo, Hartman and Al are gonna give us. Newkirk isn't going to develop in to a consistent shooter, but he can be really effective when he takes what the defense gives. Green can be a consistent shooter, he can also be a consistent facilitator, consistent defender, consistent driver. But too often this season, we've seen him play hero-ball on both ends. If he can reel it in like he did tonight, we will be in good shape. 

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I saw that with Morgan and Freddie. Freddie didn't look like he cared then either.

Just give Freddie's minutes to Justin. Justin has been a bit overmatched by the recent competition it seems, but he can learn from that and it will serve us well later in the year. He's got the ability.

I was going to ask about Justin. I was able to watch only the first half. He appeared to be a little shaky out there. Seems like the competition has maybe got to him a little bit.

I was wondering if he got any run in the second half, and if so how he performed. I know he was 0-4, but still. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Zeller was a great passer. I think he was better than Davis at everything on a basketball court. 

I like Davis, but it's not fair to him or Cody to compare them right now. Cody is better in the NBA than Davis is in college. 

Once they leave IU early for the NBA..... I quit following them.  So I will take your word for it.   I do follow the little man Yogi.... 'cause he spent 4 with us.  Yogi has made his mom, and me proud of his accomplishments, after GRADUATING from IU. 

Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell: I’m a Hoosier: Indiana University Bloomington

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

Just listened to Archie in his post game press conference. He had good things to say about Morgan, Collin, Green and McRoberts. Looks like McRoberts is earning more PT

And with an open schollie now he should earn one of those for the 2nd semester. 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The post is a blackhole when the ball goes into DeRon, it doesn't come back out.

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The post is a blackhole when the ball goes into DeRon, it doesn't come back out.

Disagree. De'Ron is an excellent passer out of the post.

He's also good enough of a player that, when 1 on 1, has taken advantage, and should take advantage. However, when he's missing bunnies like he did last night, that's a problem. Which is the reason for the run without him in the game. He's normally good enough offensively that he should be a bit selfish in the post. Especially on a woeful perimeter shooting team.

He's just got to finish. And normally, he has.

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

Disagree. De'Ron is an excellent passer out of the post.

He's also good enough of a player that, when 1 on 1, has taken advantage, and should take advantage. However, when he's missing bunnies like he did last night, that's a problem. Which is the reason for the run without him in the game. He's normally good enough offensively that he should be a bit selfish in the post. Especially on a woeful perimeter shooting team.

He's just got to finish. And normally, he has.

Can't say how much I agree with you.  De'Ron is not only a great passer out of the post.... he is constantly looking for the open man when he is doubled, and tripled.  Something we haven't seen from an IU center, in at least a decade.  And yes... as was the case with Cody.... De'Ron needs to finish stronger.  I agree with you there as well. 

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yep.  Add in McSwain and McRoberts for defense and rebounding, and continue to bring Smith along in spot minutes, and that can be a pretty solid 10-man rotation. Just have to be able to put the ball in the hoop.

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Once they leave IU early for the NBA..... I quit following them.  So I will take your word for it.   I do follow the little man Yogi.... 'cause he spent 4 with us.  Yogi has made his mom, and me proud of his accomplishments, after GRADUATING from IU. 

Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell: I’m a Hoosier: Indiana University Bloomington

Cody Graduated also, as did Victor and Blackmon.  O.G. was the only one who did not recently before going to the NBA

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Can't say how much I agree with you.  De'Ron is not only a great passer out of the post.... he is constantly looking for the open man when he is doubled, and tripled.  Something we haven't seen from an IU center, in at least a decade.  And yes... as was the case with Cody.... De'Ron needs to finish stronger.  I agree with you there as well. 

I like De'Ron but he is very weak at the rim.  If he has someone on him, he cannot finish.  With his size and height, he should be destroying people when the let me within 3 feet of the rim.  But he doesn't.  He isn't a good enough free throw shooter to just get fouled.  He needs to destroy the rim dunking while getting fouled.  I am sure it will come but i was expecting more of it this year.  Maybe he is a 4 year guy and we will see this his Senior year.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Cody Graduated also, as did Victor and Blackmon.  O.G. was the only one who did not recently before going to the NBA

Add to it, that if Yogi was 6'4" instead of 5'10" he would have left after his sophomore year too. The only reason Yogi played 4 years at IU is because NBA teams typically don't draft 5'10" point guards in the first round unless they're otherworldly. 

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The Box - so in fairness the awful FT shooting that I remember was all Davis. And as commented above he shot fine from the line last season. Has to be mental, or he just needs to "tweak" his form. But work on it big man, work on it.

STARTERS MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
J. MorganF -- 6-9 0-1 3-4 4 6 10 0 2 1 1 3 15
D. DavisF -- 5-11 0-0 3-9 4 2 6 1 2 4 2 0 13
A. DurhamG -- 3-7 1-3 0-0 1 1 2 0 1 0 1 3 7
J. NewkirkG -- 2-5 1-1 1-2 2 5 7 1 2 0 1 0 6
R. JohnsonG -- 2-9 1-6 4-4 0 7 7 3 1 0 2 1 9
BENCH MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
C. MooreF -- 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
J. SmithF -- 0-4 0-0 0-0 1 1 2 1 0 1 1 0 0
F. McSwain Jr.F -- 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 2 2 1 0 0 0 2 0
C. HartmanF -- 4-9 3-6 2-2 0 5 5 2 1 0 0 2 13
Z. McRobertsG -- 1-2 0-0 0-0 1 1 2 1 1 0 0 2 2
J. JagerG -- 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
D. GreenG -- 4-8 2-4 2-2 1 1 2 4 1 0 2 2 12
TEAM   27-66 8-21 15-23 16 31 47 14 11 6 10 16 77

Davis has this in his head now so it will be a struggle to him it corrected.  It is all about confidence and it is apparent he has no confidence right now.

Archived