Trenten Howland Commits to Indiana

KDB

• KDB changed the title to Trenten Howland Commits to Indiana
1 minute ago, Sark said:

He’s not a speedster which is why his ratings and offer list isn’t greater. Some schools saw him more as a linebacker due to his lack of explosive speed. Good back who fits the straight ahead mold of Stevie and Sampson James.

I know. That's why I asked.  

I admit that I like to look at speed too.  But elite long speed to me can be overrated in a back, as long as he has good wiggle.  If you can get a guy you can’t catch when he breaks free, that’s a bonus, but not mandatory.  If you have a back with vision and quickness, you have something.  Throw in some power, as with this young man, and you have something. 

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I admit that I like to look at speed too.  But elite long speed to me can be overrated in a back, as long as he has good wiggle.  If you can get a guy you can’t catch when he breaks free, that’s a bonus, but not mandatory.  If you have a back with vision and quickness, you have something.  Throw in some power, as with this young man, and you have something. 

Funny story.. the HS I coach at is 525 students (smallest school in 3A right now and should be moving back down the next cycle)... anyways 

We're an even front, 4-3, man coverage on the back end. 

We've ALWAYS played speed, but the last two years, we even committed more to it. The last two years, every starter has a 700lbs power club and its sub 4.9 in the 40. Last year our DL was 230, 205, 205, 195, but their 40 times were all between 4.8-4.9. The LBers and Safeties have keys they read, very opponent based game plans defensively. Speed kills. 

The idea is if we scout well enough, teach the scouting report well enough, and do the necessary work in the off season in the weightroom, we'll be very hard to score on because our speed will make up for the few mistakes we'll commit. 

That’s good data.  You would know way better than me but I totally agree on team speed.  It’s huge. When you get it everywhere it compounds.  When you have a couple of fast guys and then average speed elsewhere that’s one thing but when you are fast everywhere it’s compounding and intimidating.  When you can run at defensive end, safety, linebacker etc. it can just be devastating.  

If I were building a team I’d look for power and strength with quickness at defensive tackle.  But flank them with speed in the spots I mentioned as a priority.  Your experience here is instructive.

Running back is a wild card because you have to spot the right hole, blast through, make a guy miss.  That’s why I emphasized wiggle over speed at that position in my post above.  

I guess 30 years or so ago there were two college backs my buddy and I argued about.  One was Sammie Smith at Florida State and the other was Emmitt Smith at Florida.  We argued over who would be the better pro.  Sammie was something like 6’2 225 and could fly.  Emmitt was shorter and not nearly as fast on the stopwatch.  I argued for Sammie and he rode with Emmitt.  Obviously I lost badly.  In my defense Sammie was a top ten draft pick and Emmitt was top twenty.  So the league agreed with me.  We were woefully wrong. Sammie was a disaster and Emmitt was record setting.  But I learned from it because it holds true that the back who has vision and make a guy miss will be successful.  

1 hour ago, Sark said:

The Miami Hurricanes perfected this approach a few decades ago, with great success. Most defensive coaches followed suit, and it’s for sure the Tom Allen formula. Where are you a head coach?

Not. I'm an assistant at Brownstown, which is where I played, as well. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There's hardly a job out there that beats being a teacher and coach.  The impact on young people is incalculable.  Do you teach too?  What class?  

I know Leathernecks teaches science, I believe physics.  

Physics and chemistry, and I coach golf.  I do love it.  Could work in a lab and make more, but I really enjoy teaching.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There's hardly a job out there that beats being a teacher and coach.  The impact on young people is incalculable.  Do you teach too?  What class?  

I know Leathernecks teaches science, I believe physics.  

Yes. I teach Alt Ed at the HS. Online program/special ed students/students that struggle in the traditional classroom setting/some odd balls/some kids who need an asshole male that will also defend them. 🤷‍♂️

Honestly my job description lol

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes. I teach Alt Ed at the HS. Online program/special ed students/students that struggle in the traditional classroom setting/some odd balls/some kids who need an asshole male that will also defend them. 🤷‍♂️

Honestly my job description lol

I really enjoy how much that job seems to fit you lol.

13 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I really enjoy how much that job seems to fit you lol.

Truthfully, you're right lol some of these kids make some DUMB mistakes... and so did I. 

A good mentor/teacher/coach is just a hypocrite with experience. 

Archived