Here are number of NC by conference since 2000:
ACC - 8
PAC12 - 0
SEC - 3
B1G - 1 
Big East - 6
AAC - 1
Big 12 - 1

I am going to out on a limb here and say that the top recruits are going to either the ACC, Big East and SEC

Nation Titles, TV time, Schools who are considred current blue blood programs, and style of play are what i consider the biggest reason why the B1G isn't getting recruits.  And this horse has bean beat to death but you also have to look at whether the schools are UA, Nike, or Adidas and see if that plays at all into recruiting.

47 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I'd be curious to see how officials might call games if there were no fans in attendance due to coronavirus concerns.  Would the home court advantage be neutalized to some extent?   😁

Interesting "concern", and one that I had not thought of.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I mentioned another thread about the tourney without fan.  Would small schools make huge run if the officials and fans didn't get caught up in the flow of the game?

Lot's of different questions could be asked I suppose.  Such as will FT shooting improve?  All things pertaining to how crowd noise influences a game.

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

ACC - 8
PAC12 - 0
SEC - 3
B1G - 1 
Big East - 6
AAC - 1
Big 12 - 1

I am going to out on a limb here and say that the top recruits are going to either the ACC, Big East and SEC

Nation Titles, TV time, Schools who are considred current blue blood programs, and style of play are what i consider the biggest reason why the B1G isn't getting recruits.  And this horse has bean beat to death but you also have to look at whether the schools are UA, Nike, or Adidas and see if that plays at all into recruiting.

Definitely true. Duke and UK definitely skew the numbers. 

When I was going through the top 20 recruits by season there were actually quite a few PAC12 schools grabbing some players: Arizona, Oregon, USC, UCLA and USC. Kansas was definitely grabbing the most for the Big 12. 

41 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Definitely true. Duke and UK definitely skew the numbers. 

When I was going through the top 20 recruits by season there were actually quite a few PAC12 schools grabbing some players: Arizona, Oregon, USC, UCLA and USC. Kansas was definitely grabbing the most for the Big 12. 

And we know how dirty Self is in recruiting ....

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

ACC - 8
PAC12 - 0
SEC - 3
B1G - 1 
Big East - 6
AAC - 1
Big 12 - 1

What isn't shown there is that a B1G team played in the championship game 8 of those 20 years. IU, ILL, MI, MSU, OSU and WI all made an appearance.

More depth than any other conference.

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

True, but no one ever remember who came in second place. 

Actually I can pretty much tell you who was in the final four from 76 to the present.  For some reason I have a harder time with the last 10 years than I do with 30 years ago.

5 hours ago, rico said:

Lot's of different questions could be asked I suppose.  Such as will FT shooting improve?  All things pertaining to how crowd noise influences a game.

Dick Vitale would be lost without the fans.  What would happen to "Uncle Mo"?    😂  LOL

I have a question for people on here as bout when did it become unsportsmanlike to keep shooting at the end of a blow out.  Today in the last few seconds we see teams just run the clock down without shooting.  Just now I just got done watching the 91 game against Purdue st home.  We were up 14 with less than 30 seconds left and we sit a a layup to put us up 16.  After PU went down and missed we hurried down and hit a shot at the buzzer.  Today people would get pissed off and complain about sportsmanship if something like that happens.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have a question for people on here as bout when did it become unsportsmanlike to keep shooting at the end of a blow out.  Today in the last few seconds we see teams just run the clock down without shooting.  Just now I just got done watching the 91 game against Purdue st home.  We were up 14 with less than 30 seconds left and we sit a a layup to put us up 16.  After PU went down and missed we hurried down and hit a shot at the buzzer.  Today people would get pissed off and complain about sportsmanship if something like that happens.

Tom Crean definitely wouldn't like it.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It's possible that things start trending back that way with the NET now taking margin of victory into equation.  It always did but after 10 it all counted the same,  not anymore.  When Buzz Williams was at Virginia Tech, he would call a time out if he was down 10 or 11 with a few seconds to go to get his margin of loss under 10 because of the NET.  I was always shocked more coaches didn't do that.  

I thought the NET changed the formula just now and we are taking margin of victory out?

I don’t buy into margin of victory even if it benefits IU in the future as our roster is steadily getting more stacked.  It seems like something nerds would come up with who’ve never hit a jump shot and look at something in a theoretical, superficial way without any relation to the real world. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe the line was 17 and RMK had a c-note on it...😁

Regarding the original question, I agree with the overwhelming majority.  It’s so obvious that everybody obviously sees it.  The B1G would perform better come tourney time IMO if it’s gets officiating on a good track.  Secondly, there is not enough diversity in the style of play.  As one example, we don’t have a top zone defense program.  So, some teams get flummoxed when it gets thrown at them in the tourney.  It’s not just the zone.  Teams with length and quickness often give B1G teams problems.  There is some diversity In the league, just not nearly enough.  Certainly Iowa is different in kind from Michigan State.  But overall it’s a league of tough, physical, grind it out basketball.  That’s what you will get and see night after night.   

I love physical, tough, basketball with grind-your-teeth defense.  Love a legal pick set hard.  But that defense should be a byproduct of moving your feet, and playing hard.  Quickness, intensity, positioning, length, etc.,  are all attributes that will win big in the NCAA’s.  The problem with the B1G is defense is often played in a manner more akin to a tough, press corner in football.  Get your hands on the offensive player and smother him on the line and mis-direct you from where you want to go.  

The B1G would be much better served focusing on freedom of movement, quickness, etc.  It’d be nice if teams had more diversity in style and approach but that can’t be addressed in a top down way the way officiating can.  Beyond the overly physical ball, the quality of officiating is abysmal.  It adds an unknown to every game that’s ridiculous.  The officials have a major problem anticipating something instead of actually seeing it.  Their own consistency is erratic at best.  The same official can call essentially the same play two different ways.  A top down review and action plan is really needed. 

And in football, they need to change the divisions.  

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding the original question, I agree with the overwhelming majority.  It’s so obvious that everybody obviously sees it.  The B1G would perform better come tourney time IMO if it’s gets officiating on a good track.  Secondly, there is not enough diversity in the style of play.  As one example, we don’t have a top zone defense program.  So, some teams get flummoxed when it gets thrown at them in the tourney.  It’s not just the zone.  Teams with length and quickness often give B1G teams problems.  There is some diversity In the league, just not nearly enough.  Certainly Iowa is different in kind from Michigan State.  But overall it’s a league of tough, physical, grind it out basketball.  That’s what you will get and see night after night.   

I love physical, tough, basketball with grind-your-teeth defense.  Love a legal pick set hard.  But that defense should be a byproduct of moving your feet, and playing hard.  Quickness, intensity, positioning, length, etc.,  are all attributes that will win big in the NCAA’s.  The problem with the B1G is defense is often played in a manner more akin to a tough, press corner in football.  Get your hands on the offensive player and smother him on the line and mis-direct you from where you want to go.  

The B1G would be much better served focusing on freedom of movement, quickness, etc.  It’d be nice if teams had more diversity in style and approach but that can’t be addressed in a top down way the way officiating can.  Beyond the overly physical ball, the quality of officiating is abysmal.  It adds an unknown to every game that’s ridiculous.  The officials have a major problem anticipating something instead of actually seeing it.  Their own consistency is erratic at best.  The same official can call essentially the same play two different ways.  A top down review and action plan is really needed. 

And in football, they need to change the divisions.  

Well with the 30 second shot clock it is hard to have very much diversity in your offensive style of play.

Archived