Does the B1G need to be fixed? How?

At least on my point, I was talking about more than offense.  If we played a team every year that is seriously committed to the zone like Syracuse is, it would not be a complete shock and psych us out in the tourney.  

Regarding offense, at a broad level, there are teams built on speed and quickness that want to run all day.  Iowa can be like that to an extent but we don’t see enough of it.  But when you get to the tourney, you might get run out of the gym by somebody from another conference.  

Overall, we play a bunch of teams where you are going to beat each other up.  Grind it out basketball.  It’s good to see some of that, but not necessarily to the degree we do. We don’t see enough fast teams who pick you up full court, launch threes, play fast etc.  

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually don't see much diversity in offenses in college basketball

Agree in terms of the sets/plays run, but I think what Bob meant and what I was alluding to is more about style of play, not the actual sets being run. Pace of play, speed, etc. At least annecdotely, it feels like there is more variety in other conferences. 

On 6/5/2020 at 10:40 AM, BGleas said:

Agree in terms of the sets/plays run, but I think what Bob meant and what I was alluding to is more about style of play, not the actual sets being run. Pace of play, speed, etc. At least annecdotely, it feels like there is more variety in other conferences. 

Agree though UM has decidedly been a 3-point shooting get out and run offense, and NW runs that NW-style deliberative offense. They’ve been the exceptions generally with Wisconsin, MSU, etc but we’ve seen something of a shift with teams like OSU. Maybe the conference / style of play is already changing for more shooting, run - pace and less beat you up play.

I never understand people mentioning the officiating. The refs are all independent contractors that work multiple leagues. So why would they suddenly change their calls just when doing B1G games?

If anything, they could be influenced by the crowds, as the conference annually leads college hoops in attendance. Not sure that can be "fixed", it's a good problem to have.

Regarding the top 10/20 recruits, IMO that could be attributed to the shoe companies and ESPN. Since ESPN has had the NBA for a while now, they have a vested interest in where these top kids go. Why not make sure they are on ESPN as much as possible? Of course the Big Ten still has a deal with ESPN but there's no doubt the relationship has taken a big hit when Delany called their bluff and started the BTN. So they'd probably rather have those guys at ACC/SEC schools since Disney also runs their networks instead of Fox.

For those of us fans that have actually followed recruiting at elite levels over the past 10 years.....we hear often how top recruits avoid the Big 10 because of style of play. I know about 7-8 fan bases that haven't had to worry about this aspect in a looooooooooong time but elite recruits run to the SEC and ACC even Big 12 because of style of play. We get our share because our state pumps out elite guys so often but not so much league wide.

Hopefully things change.

I was listening to Podcast on the Brink and Alex Bozich asked Corey Evans of Rivals, this very question. (Wonder if he was reading the board?)

Anyway, in regards to recruiting Corey Evans blamed demographics for the Big Ten not getting as many elite recruits. He simply said that most of the best recruits are coming from the South. The Midwest just isn't producing as many high quality players as it has done in the past. 

23 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I was listening to Podcast on the Brink and Alex Bozich asked Corey Evans of Rivals, this very question. (Wonder if he was reading the board?)

Anyway, in regards to recruiting Corey Evans blamed demographics for the Big Ten not getting as many elite recruits. He simply said that most of the best recruits are coming from the South. The Midwest just isn't producing as many high quality players as it has done in the past. 

i was going to mention this.  Living in Iowa, the iowa and iowa state fan hear that football recruits don't want to come to a boring, nothing to do state that is cold as crap in the winter.  How much that actually plays into it is subjective to me.  Ohio State and Michigan are cold too and they don't seem to have problems getting recruits, at least for football.

51 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i was going to mention this.  Living in Iowa, the iowa and iowa state fan hear that football recruits don't want to come to a boring, nothing to do state that is cold as crap in the winter.  How much that actually plays into it is subjective to me.  Ohio State and Michigan are cold too and they don't seem to have problems getting recruits, at least for football.

Yeah Thad Matta was arguably the best recruiter in the nation his first 5 or so years at OSU.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

He must’ve had a great staff. 😎

In all seriousness, maybe it's CAM who will change this. Who in the conference has been better at recruiting than Archie in his first 3 full recruiting years? Each of those years he has brought in the highest ranked player in the conference: Romeo, TJD and Lander. A commitment from Patterson could be 4 years in a row - depending how everything plays out. 

Hopefully it will be next year that success will play out on the court. 

On 6/10/2020 at 10:37 AM, tdhoosier said:

Regarding your first sentence. There's a few guys on Indy radio (couple that are no longer) that I swear would read this board and hit the airwaves with it in the following days. Once or twice sure...but it was almost routine during the season and especially during big recruitments. 

21 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

In all seriousness, maybe it's CAM who will change this. Who in the conference has been better at recruiting than Archie in his first 3 full recruiting years? Each of those years he has brought in the highest ranked player in the conference: Romeo, TJD and Lander. A commitment from Patterson could be 4 years in a row - depending how everything plays out. 

Hopefully it will be next year that success will play out on the court. 

Now he just needs to translate his top recruiting in top performance in the conference and tournament.  I am so ready to be relevant again.

I was just looking at some NBA mock drafts and it on of them only had 1 big ten players selected.  It was NBA.net and the only big ten player they had selected was Daniel Oturo and that was the 30th pick.  They did not have any other player selected even in the second round.  What surprised me is not seeing Jalen Smith not being drafted in that mock.  I guess that is one problem for the big ten and that is that the talent level is not respected from the NBA.  Also when looking at these mock drafts it made me realize how bad this draft is and it was a good year for the Pacers not to have a 1st round pick.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I was just looking at some NBA mock drafts and it on of them only had 1 big ten players selected.  It was NBA.net and the only big ten player they had selected was Daniel Oturo and that was the 30th pick.  They did not have any other player selected even in the second round.  What surprised me is not seeing Jalen Smith not being drafted in that mock.  I guess that is one problem for the big ten and that is that the talent level is not respected from the NBA.  Also when looking at these mock drafts it made me realize how bad this draft is and it was a good year for the Pacers not to have a 1st round pick.

And that's the thing we continue to fight. Perception. Not always fair but perception/eye test,etc....is the foundation for people. To be the best conference in college hoops last year and only have 1 player in top 30? I realize it's a strange year without having camps, NBA predraft stuff,etc..but that number should be alarming to anyone saying our conference is just fine in terms of attracting elite talent.

Here's an example to think on. I'll use Ayo Dosunumu from Illinois. Should he stay or should he go? Fans selfishly want him to stay. Illinois could be very good if that happens...but here's the rub. If he does come back. Every single coach who is recruiting against Underwood/Illinois down the road will say the following. Hey kid...apparently takes 3-4 years for you to get to the league at Illinois with Underwood. I'll get you there in 2 max. So if a kid like Ayo returns it is good for them short term but bad for them and Big 10 long term because our friends at UK, Auburn, LSU, Kansas, Louisville, Georgia,etc.....will just pull out the list of players and say I'll have you in the league quickly.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

At least on my point, I was talking about more than offense.  If we played a team every year that is seriously committed to the zone like Syracuse is, it would not be a complete shock and psych us out in the tourney.  

Regarding offense, at a broad level, there are teams built on speed and quickness that want to run all day.  Iowa can be like that to an extent but we don’t see enough of it.  But when you get to the tourney, you might get run out of the gym by somebody from another conference.  

Overall, we play a bunch of teams where you are going to beat each other up.  Grind it out basketball.  It’s good to see some of that, but not necessarily to the degree we do. We don’t see enough fast teams who pick you up full court, launch threes, play fast etc.  

CAM is actually very good against the zone fwiw, I have no worries there

• 2 weeks later...

I know ESPN recruiting site is not great but I was just looking at their 2021 rankings.  What I noticed is that 3 of the top 6 in their rankings come from big ten states.  The top player is from Minnesota and the 2nd and 6th ranked players are from Wisconsin.  Of the top 25 7 comes from states in the big ten so if these kids go to big ten schools it will help the talent level.  What is bad none of the top 25 is from Indiana and is surprising that there are 2 from Minnesota and 2 from Wisconsin.  It will be interesting to see if little Ricky can bring in those two from Minnesota but they have not been good at keeping top talent in state.  The #1 player is 7"0 but only weighs 183 bounds so he would really have to bulk up to play in the big ten. 

Archived