Let's talk catchers

rico

That article, and some additional reading I did on pitch framing, made my head hurt...

So, the value of a catcher is lessened because of the automatic strike zone which takes away something the pitcher shouldn't have gotten in the first place...ok then...

To me, it'll also drive averages up simply because the pitcher will HAVE to throw strikes, rather than relying on an umpire who, for whatever reason (tired, flight to catch, hot, bored) stretches the strike zone.

Maybe, just maybe it'll bring contact hitters, the running game, and judging a catcher by his ball blocking skills and arm back into vogue...

And I'd be all for that...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That article, and some additional reading I did on pitch framing, made my head hurt...

So, the value of a catcher is lessened because of the automatic strike zone which takes away something the pitcher shouldn't have gotten in the first place...ok then...

To me, it'll also drive averages up simply because the pitcher will HAVE to throw strikes, rather than relying on an umpire who, for whatever reason (tired, flight to catch, hot, bored) stretches the strike zone.

Maybe, just maybe it'll bring contact hitters, the running game, and judging a catcher by his ball blocking skills and arm back into vogue...

And I'd be all for that...

Personally, I thought the article was a joke.

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If you can hit and play catcher, you can hit and play first base.  Not sure why someone would choose to catch unless they needed to in order to get to the big leagues.  

Somebody has to throw the ball back to the pitcher...

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Funny how catchers were so ultra-valuable before pitch framing even became a thing...

Johnny Bench (the best catcher I ever saw) had a little value to him, even if he hadn't been a good hitter and a great run producer...

What would the Texas Rangers been without Jim Sundberg?

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Don't leave out Steve Swisher...

I don't know about that one...I don't remember Swisher as being exceptional behind the plate...but even Johnny Bench backstop skills couldn't have covered up that bat...

I thought his claim to fame was being Nick's Dad...

On 6/4/2020 at 9:59 AM, rico said:

Just got around to reading this. Maybe it's covid related but some of these articles (across all sports) recently have been very, very poorly written and the actual points are flawed.

Catchers do so many things every single pitch besides....just trying to frame. Wow. Here's a few things each catcher has to do with every single pitch. Known tendencies of each hitter and each count. What he might do more often when count is 2-1 he might not do the same when it's 2-2. So catcher has to keep those in mind for 12+ guys every single game. Besides that....defensive shifts, keeping base runners close, mental coach for their pitcher....

Here's a good article on catchers I just found after reading the original link.

https://sabr.org/research/catching-science-mind-behind-mask

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know about that one...I don't remember Swisher as being exceptional behind the plate...but even Johnny Bench backstop skills couldn't have covered up that bat...

LOL, Swisher sucked...sorry, but he did.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

Yeah, the Cubbie catching situation was a hot mess.

After Santo.....the Cubs 3B position over the years is almost like the Bears QB position. So many players. I guess trading Bill Madlock wasn't a good move either.....and now that we have finally found a 3B we've pissed him off and he won't be a Cub in a year or two.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

After Santo.....the Cubs 3B position over the years is almost like the Bears QB position. So many players. I guess trading Bill Madlock wasn't a good move either.....and now that we have finally found a 3B we've pissed him off and he won't be a Cub in a year or two.

Ramierez was pretty good, and Cey could at least drive in some runs...but he had the range of my dishwasher...

But other than that, yeah, pretty sorry...

Archived