What do you do for a living?

Howdy everyone,

Partly due to boredom but also due to curiosity, I wanted to start a thread to see what folks here did for a living. 

I work in the financial services industry as an internal wholesaler for a mutual fund company here in Indy. 

What about everyone else?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FULLY retired Independent Financial Advisor of 25 years. Sold my business in Indy to another Financial Advisor a couple of years ago.

Before that, I was a marketing exec for 20 years with several corporations.

Now...busting my butt in SC taking care of 10 acres. I need to go back to work, so I can rest !

1 hour ago, DWB said:

FULLY retired Independent Financial Advisor of 25 years. Sold my business in Indy to another Financial Advisor a couple of years ago.

Before that, I was a marketing exec for 20 years with several corporations.

Now...busting my butt in SC taking care of 10 acres. I need to go back to work, so I can rest !

As I continue to get older I gain more and more respect for all of you who “made it” to retirement. 

signed,

Toiling Away 

11 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm not yet 30 but retirement looks really good right now.

You can do it buddy.  Be like one of those of those people on HGTV.  Get a tiny house, park it in your parents driveway, and live off Ramen for the next 50 or so years.

3 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm not yet 30 but retirement looks really good right now.

Jon.  I know you are young.  However, when you are able to retire. You will enjoy it.

I was once was known as a "workaholic".  Spending 72 to 80 hours a week at work.  Most times the first one in.  And the last one out. Like Boiler, my career was in the financial services industry.  Over 40 years.  Did everything. Depending on who I was working for.  From personal loans, to auto loans, to mortgages.  Best and last company I worked for was Citibank. 

After one year at Citibank. I was called into my supervisor's office.  And I thought.... Uh, Oh.  As he never talked to me before that day.  And he told me he had to make an apology to me.  As it was time for him to make yearly decisions on pay raises for all his employees.  And his apology was that he was ONLY giving me a 38% pay raise !  He said that he wanted to give me more. But company policy at that time was if any request for a pay increase went over 38%.... it would have to be approved by New York.  And he did not want to take a chance that New York would not approve it.

Now.... I do nothing.  Except take advantage of the retirement funds that I built up over the years. Thank you. IU School of Business.

Jon. I know you are a good person.  Just hang in there. In fact. If it were not for you.  There might not be a HSN 3.0

I was in retail management for one of the nation's largest building material suppliers. Last 40 years until I became to old and too high paid. My position was eliminated in December 2015. I was going to retire in January 2016 but never told a soul. When I was given the news I was all smiles because I knew I would get a nice severance package. After signing the severance agreement I was asked why I was smiling and I simply said that if  you waited three weeks you wouldn't of had to pay me a thing as I was going to retire. They were shocked. So I walked out with 32 weeks of pay and benefits, then went on social security and after my severance was up I used up my 20 weeks of unemployment. 

And for the record I haven't looked back one bit. I worked long hours, nights, holidays and weekends plus I had to deal with the general public which at the end of my career had become a royal pain in the rear end! 

6 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I was in retail management for one of the nation's largest building material suppliers. Last 40 years until I became to old and too high paid. My position was eliminated in December 2015. I was going to retire in January 2016 but never told a soul. When I was given the news I was all smiles because I knew I would get a nice severance package. After signing the severance agreement I was asked why I was smiling and I simply said that if  you waited three weeks you wouldn't of had to pay me a thing as I was going to retire. They were shocked. So I walked out with 32 weeks of pay and benefits, then went on social security and after my severance was up I used up my 20 weeks of unemployment. 

And for the record I haven't looked back one bit. I worked long hours, nights, holidays and weekends plus I had to deal with the general public which at the end of my career had become a royal pain in the rear end! 

I hope to repeat your story some day.  

Archived