What do you do for a living?

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

just wanted to share my situation. Going to be lots of prayer and thought over the next couple of weeks.  My boss came to me and basically said that I make too much money. I get a good salary as well as some commission and each year our sales have increased drastically. Even after being shut down for 10 weeks due to Covid and I agreed to take 50% of my weekly salary and not file unemployment and to suspend all of my commissions to help the business stay afloat he came to me with this. I asked when commissions would pick back up, if my commissions were in tact for June I should have made $12,000. (For us life changing)  What I was told was that he wanted me to take a 25% pay cut and would no longer pay commissions. As a salesman, a former coach etc... numbers and competitiveness drive me. I have always believed that the harder I work the better i can make my situation for my team or in sales for my business and my family. He has now put me in a box with a ceiling and I don't like that. I am not wired that way. As of this past Monday I have lots of praying and soul searching to do and also asking for God to help me with my tongue so I don't tell him to shove it in a very uncomfortable location.

Crappy situation for sure. I agree with what Mile says below. In the end, you'll land on your feet and the company will regret letting you go. Good sales people are always in demand. And now, with more jobs being done remotely, you can look outside your locality. 

50 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Crappy deal. Only advice I can give you... based on personal experiences.  Keep your mouth shut at work.  Look elsewhere. And don't quit, until you have found another job.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Let's be honest here. @BGleas is way more attractive to a potential employer than you are.

I mean "I am proficient in soliciting Indonesian hookers" is not quite equal to what BGleas has to offer. 

You make it sound so one dimensional. 

That skill can be expounded and used to solicit numerous other hookers or other things. I could be a purchaser or importer for a company...or even a supply chain manager.

On 6/4/2020 at 1:23 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Howdy everyone,

Partly due to boredom but also due to curiosity, I wanted to start a thread to see what folks here did for a living. 

I work in the financial services industry as an internal wholesaler for a mutual fund company here in Indy. 

What about everyone else?

LOL...makes me wonder if I've talked to you. Capital?

On 6/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, Reacher said:

Like @DWB, I'm a Financial Advisor. Started on the insurance side after graduating from IU 30 years ago. I'm independent, own my own firm. Can't see selling anytime soon. Maybe in another 20 years. People like @bluegrassIU serve me 😁

Ditto.  Been out just a little longer than you and independent since 2005.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Crappy deal. Only advice I can give you... based on personal experiences.  Keep your mouth shut at work.  Look elsewhere. And don't quit, until you have found another job.

Sage advice...don't burn bridges until you are ready to never turn back.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Sage advice...don't burn bridges until you are ready to never turn back.

I have personal experiences on that as well. NEVER burn a bridge. Know people who left their jobs.  Only to have it come back badly for them.  People in the same industry do share information. Call it networking. Best to just find a new position... and just move on.

Having just found this thread (should be obvious from the last 6-7 comments), I'm wondering how @BGleas's interview went (?) and I want to encourage you on your side venture.  I enjoyed my job when I worked for someone else, but I love working only for my clients.  Self employment is not for everyone, but for those who are wired with the entrepreneurial gene, it's extremely satisfying to run your own ship.  My "employer" actually lets me run my side gig (small gun shop) out of the office.  Just can't beat the flexibility of self employment, but you are definitely operating without a net.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have personal experiences on that as well. NEVER burn a bridge. Know people who left their jobs.  Only to have it come back badly for them.  People in the same industry do share information. Call it networking. Best to just find a new position... and just move on.

I'm 99% with you there, but I'm also about justice and accountability.  You don't have to be ugly and I don't think you burn a bridge with your current employer if you politely tell them that you are unhappy that they have changed the rules you were playing under in good faith.  I think it's garbage that Billingsly had a good month and now his employer, who was happy to collect the fruit of his efforts doesn't want to share.

...but closely related, I have always counseled people to not quit until the next gig is in hand.  A job has to be very bad for me to advise someone to go unemployed with no promise of future employment.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

I'm 99% with you there, but I'm also about justice and accountability.  You don't have to be ugly and I don't think you burn a bridge with your current employer if you politely tell them that you are unhappy that they have changed the rules you were playing under in good faith.  I think it's garbage that Billingsly had a good month and now his employer, who was happy to collect the fruit of his efforts doesn't want to share.

...but closely related, I have always counseled people to not quit until the next gig is in hand.  A job has to be very bad for me to advise someone to go unemployed with no promise of future employment.

I have a couple of opportunities in the same field and I did not sign a non compete so it's a matter of getting my clients to follow me . We all know that in sales you buying the sales person not just the product.  I just hate starting over and not because of my big ego but I bring 91 % of all sales do the business wont make it if I leave. 6 other families depend on what I do. That's why I stayed when the old owner sold the the business 

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Having just found this thread (should be obvious from the last 6-7 comments), I'm wondering how @BGleas's interview went

Last month I was sitting on an interview panel for jobs (IT, aviation computer systems, programming) at the FAA Tech Center (17 positions, 29 interviewees) and my first piece of advice for anyone interviewing for anything...

ANSWER THE %$#^&% QUESTION AS IT'S ASKED! I couldn't  believe the number of people that didn't answer the questions we asked, or went off on a tangent...I asked one lady to name a skill she had recently acquired that helped her in her current position (she was a software helpdesk tech), and she said, "well, I did learn how to fix my vacuum's hose. It was clogged."

BTW, we post all of our jobs here. And the FAA has been hiring a lot...

I am terrible at interviewing.  Had one right before lockdown that actually went pretty well but they asked my least favorite question. 

What's your biggest weakness?  What do they expect get other than a bs answer?

Really wanted to say answering dumb questions like this. 

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have a couple of opportunities in the same field and I did not sign a non compete so it's a matter of getting my clients to follow me . We all know that in sales you buying the sales person not just the product.  I just hate starting over and not because of my big ego but I bring 91 % of all sales do the business wont make it if I leave. 6 other families depend on what I do. That's why I stayed when the old owner sold the the business 

That's a very tough spot, but I know you'll land on your feet.  I don't post jobs.  I recruit people I already know and trust to fill them and I take care of them when they get here...good pay with bonuses, retirement plan, relaxed dress code, flexible hours and even the company buys lunch for the staff every Friday.  For two months when we completely locked down the office, the company bought lunch every day and I personally picked it up to protect my staff.  Besides my wife and another friend who helped me on a temporary basis, only one employee ever quit me and it's because she got married and moved to Warsaw.  When I left my last employer, I had a long list of things I would never do to employees.  I was literally living out the movie Office Space.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's a very tough spot, but I know you'll land on your feet.  I don't post jobs.  I recruit people I already know and trust to fill them and I take care of them when they get here...good pay with bonuses, retirement plan, relaxed dress code, flexible hours and even the company buys lunch for the staff every Friday.  For two months when we completely locked down the office, the company bought lunch every day and I personally picked it up to protect my staff.  Besides my wife and another friend who helped me on a temporary basis, only one employee ever quit me and it's because she got married and moved to Warsaw.  When I left my last employer, I had a long list of things I would never do to employees.  I was literally living out the movie Office Space.

I could move to the land of Zeller. In all seriousness I wish more bosses felt that way

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I could move to the land of Zeller. In all seriousness I wish more bosses felt that way

It's kind of like the kid who won't touch alcohol because dad was an alcoholic.  I worked for a company that was ridiculous...always demanding useless pipeline and other reports, telling me what products to offer to clients and even dictating what colors you wore in certain seasons.  I intended to be everything they weren't because I got tired of having that knot of dread in my stomach every Sunday evening.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

It's kind of like the kid who won't touch alcohol because dad was an alcoholic.  I worked for a company that was ridiculous...always demanding useless pipeline and other reports, telling me what products to offer to clients and even dictating what colors you wore in certain seasons.  I intended to be everything they weren't because I got tired of having that knot of dread in my stomach every Sunday evening.

Well said and I get that

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s cool if you guys actually know each other.  

Close...we do know some of the same people in his company and he works for a great company.  I actually got to hear John Wooden speak courtesy of Boiler's company.

I told him I wouldn't stop giving him crap for being a Toiletmaker, though.😂😂😜

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

The best advice is always from the Simpsons.

Archived