Ned Garver

rico

9 hours ago, slojoe said:

Rico I thought you were from NE Indiana.  How can you be from Northeast Indiana but never heard of Ned Garver?

You must be a young whipper snapper!

53 come Friday...I am from NE Indiana.  The only thing I ever saw in Ney, Ohio was Bruce Berenyi.  Does he count?

11 hours ago, slojoe said:

Bruce doesn't count.

I'm 68.  Garver just a little before your time.

Yeah, my 1st memories are of the '72 World Series.  I never saw the St. Louis Browns play but I have seen midgets frolic.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Yeah, my 1st memories are of the '72 World Series.  I never saw the St. Louis Browns play but I have seen midgets frolic.

My first World Series memory was '60 between the Yanks and the Pirates.  The Yanks pretty well blew up the Pirates in 3 games and the Pirates nipped the Yanks 3 times setting up one of the most dramatic 7th games when Bill Mazeroski hit the winning home run to nip the Yanks.

12 minutes ago, slojoe said:

My first World Series memory was '60 between the Yanks and the Pirates.  The Yanks pretty well blew up the Pirates in 3 games and the Pirates nipped the Yanks 3 times setting up one of the most dramatic 7th games when Bill Mazeroski hit the winning home run to nip the Yanks.

If not for Tony Kubek's throat getting in the way, Hal Smith would have been the hero...

14 hours ago, rico said:

We are the same age but my first sports memories are from 1975 so you got me beat.  I had a little transistor radio and would listen to Marty and the old lefthander at night during the summer. Great memories.  I did get some old sports illustrateds and read about the earlier A’s teams but I honestly don’t remember seeing them or being aware.  But that ‘75 season, I could rattle off the lineups then and now.   That’s also the year of the first IU team and NCAA season I can remember, including seeing the end of Wooden’s reign and IU’s loss to UK.  I announced that I was going to play at IU.  I obviously didn’t get how incredibly large the odds were against that! 

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I had a little transistor radio and would listen to Marty and the old lefthander at night during the summer. Great memories. 

My best friend was a huge Reds fan. I remember he was really pissed when the guy before Brennaman left...remember who that was?

Archived