On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

As a kid growing up in Northern Illinois we loved Reagan. Not for his Presidency because we were still pretty young to care much....but it meant field trip day to his hometown of Dixon (he was born in Tampico). We loved him as much as Casimir Pulaski which usually meant another day off in November I believe.

Regarding thread I'll add this. x3 on Reagan. 

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As a kid growing up in Northern Illinois we loved Reagan. Not for his Presidency because we were still pretty young to care much....but it meant field trip day to his hometown of Dixon (he was born in Tampico). We loved him as much as Casimir Pulaski which usually meant another day off in November I believe.

Regarding thread I'll add this. x3 on Reagan. 

X4 on Dutch...

Just a little personal story...

When I joined the USAF early in 1980, Jimmy Carter was the president. I couldn't believe the state of the Air Force. When I went to ATC Tech school at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi, any dorm you walked into, you could smell pot. 

I got to my first base in October and was immediately put on a mobility team

Had to take chem warfare training, which lasted 4 hours and we never saw the suits or masks, just told how to put them on by the instructor. Total waste.

The next year, after Reagan had taken office, I got scheduled, and I asked "What day?" The coordinator said, "Days. It's 3 days now."

In those 3 days I put the mask and suit on 17 times and got tear gassed 3 times. I was trained.

And he "weeded" out all the druggies too...we had 5 people who tested positive, and they were all shown the door within 2 weeks...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a weather buff. Besides the size of this invasion....always amazed at how much the weather impacted things.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/how-d-day-was-delayed-by-a-weather-forecast

I am sure you know. In the movie "Patton" there was a scene where General Patton, played by George C. Scott.... called in a chaplain, to say a prayer for good weather.

Patton Orders A Weather Prayer 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a weather buff. Besides the size of this invasion....always amazed at how much the weather impacted things.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/how-d-day-was-delayed-by-a-weather-forecast

I'm always fascinated how the whole thing played out, esp. with the weather and the limited amount of forecasting they had back then.

• Like 1

Regarding Reagan, he flipped the entire mentality and outlook of the country.  I think he used the famous word malaise. Jimmy Carter is a classy man who was very intelligent as a Naval Academy guy but leadership was an issue and we got into a negative outlook.  

You had Vietnam in the recent past but in terms of negative mentality even more so Watergate, the pardon, OPEC problems, energy scare and of course the hostage crisis.  I was a kid and even I was acutely aware of the negativity everywhere.  Within that I thought 1976 was spectacular as the bicentennial and everyone rallied together that summer and year.  But it ended up a blip in a bad decade.   

It wasn’t luck of the draw. Reagan literally had a recognition of it and a vision for flipping the script.  Even if you don’t like his policies, credit is due in this regard IMO.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding Reagan, he flipped the entire mentality and outlook of the country.  I think he used the famous word malaise. Jimmy Carter is a classy man who was very intelligent as a Naval Academy guy but leadership was an issue and we got into a negative outlook.  

You had Vietnam in the recent past but in terms of negative mentality even more so Watergate, the pardon, OPEC problems, energy scare and of course the hostage crisis.  I was a kid and even I was acutely aware of the negativity everywhere.  Within that I thought 1976 was spectacular as the bicentennial and everyone rallied together that summer and year.  But it ended up a blip in a bad decade.   

It wasn’t luck of the draw. Reagan literally had a recognition of it and a vision for flipping the script.  Even if you don’t like his policies, credit is due in this regard IMO.  

Still amazed that he won 49/50 states.  Could Abraham Lincoln do that in today's environment?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Isn't anything?

Ya know. When I was in 5th grade. Our history teacher. Required the entire class  to memorize the entire Gettysburg Address.  And then recite it individually in front of the class over three days.  Part of our grade was based on how well we did.  Not bragging. Well, kind of.  But.  I was one of the few who nailed it.

The Gettysburg Address

Today. I can't remember what I had for breakfast.  LOL

Take care dbm.  Best wishes to you. And stay safe.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1