On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yeah, cant remember the year but I remember each episode had a music video of a band you never heard of 

And this

Orange-DaniellaUrdinlaiz-BeavisAndButthead-CORNHOLIO.jpeg

"The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat"- Beavis

Why in the world I still remember that dumb statement is beyond  me. But MAN i did love me some Beavis and Butthead 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rico said:

August 6, 1945.  The "Enola Gay" drops an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan.

Be interested to know how people really feel about this...

I watched the HBO Documentary "White Light, Black Rain" a while back, and it certainly made me feel a little differently...

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Be interested to know how people really feel about this...

I watched the HBO Documentary "White Light, Black Rain" a while back, and it certainly made me feel a little differently...

Hard to say for sure if Japan would have surrendered with or without it. I would say Nagasaki wasnt necessary.  

I think the bigger goal was the US flexing their cajones to show the Russians what was up. 

I also think Japan deserved a punch in face for what they did to the Chinese.  Especially for the Nanjing massacre. 

• Thanks 1

I really fo not feel the Japanese would ever surrender.  Without the bomb possible millions more die in WWII. I know its part of war and all countries faced many atrocities but as I get older I do feel for the citizen loss. Warmibg to the rest of the world don't awake the sleeping Giant. One of Hitters biggest mistakes getting the Japanese to attack the US

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Hard to say for sure if Japan would have surrendered with or without it. I would say Nagasaki wasnt necessary.  

I think the bigger goal was the US flexing their cajones to show the Russians what was up. 

I also think Japan deserved a punch in face for what they did to the Chinese.  Especially for the Nanjing massacre. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I really fo not feel the Japanese would ever surrender.  Without the bomb possible millions more die in WWII. I know its part of war and all countries faced many atrocities but as I get older I do feel for the citizen loss. Warmibg to the rest of the world don't awake the sleeping Giant. One of Hitters biggest mistakes getting the Japanese to attack the US

I read what I thought was an apt description once..."A terrible option with even worse alternatives."

I agree with the decision, and have no doubt it saved lives in the long run...But watching that documentary is heartbreaking...

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I remember it as the "good ole days."  Before school shootings the nation was glued to their sets catching the latest serial killer news.

Morbid, but true.

Yes it is...

I didn't realize it but Berkowitz is still alive and in the stoney-lonesome. 

He last came up for parole in May...while I'd like to believe those would be short hearings ("Uh...no") with coronavirus and letting other violent kooks out, I'm surprised he's not out on the streets...

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 6:31 AM, rico said:

August 10th, 1977.  David Berkowitz is arrested.  How many remember the "Son of Sam" murders?

I was 7 years old but remember hearing about him on the news.  being young and not realizing how far New York was I was afraid he was going to come to where I lived.