On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

3 hours ago, rico said:

November 1st, 1999.  Walter Payton passes away.

My first legend. Always a sad time to remember him. Met him at a church camp in Princeton, Illinois in early 80's.....was my first real life meeting a legend. Hundreds of us swarming him and he signed every single piece of memorabilia.

And 6 days later the Bears blocked a 28 yard FG to beat the Packers. Remember Hampton screaming that Walter did it. 

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My first legend. Always a sad time to remember him. Met him at a church camp in Princeton, Illinois in early 80's.....was my first real life meeting a legend. Hundreds of us swarming him and he signed every single piece of memorabilia.

And 6 days later the Bears blocked a 28 yard FG to beat the Packers. Remember Hampton screaming that Walter did it. 

I remember how at the goal line he would just leap over the pile instead of trying to run through the traffic.

Image result for Walter Payton Leaping Onto the End Zone

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

1952 this date the US detonated the first H-bomb named Mike.  It was 1000 times stronger than Hiroshima or Nagasaki atomic bombs.  Detonated in the Marshall Islands and picked up on seismometers in California.  Mushroom cloud reached 120,000 ft. into the atmosphere.

Would that be the test at Bikini Atoll?  My wife had to do a paper in a college history class on the US nuclear program.  So I bought some books and helped her do a report on nuclear testing in the Marshall's because nobody really knows about it.

Feel bad for the people who lived on Bikini Atoll. 

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Would that be the test at Bikini Atoll?  My wife had to do a paper in a college history class on the US nuclear program.  So I bought some books and helped her do a report on nuclear testing in the Marshall's because nobody really knows about it.

Feel bad for the people who lived on Bikini Atoll. 

Elugelab Island...part of the Eniwetok atoll.

• Like 1

On this day 50 years ago everyone on the Marshall football team chartered airplane died in a crash! May they all Rest In Peace! Also pray for the few who were supposed to be on the plane and weren’t!

And yet look where Marshall is today, big call out to Marshall!!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Sad 1