On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for the reminder. I woke up and saw the date and I'm going why does the 22nd of November mean something. Wasn't alive yet but speaking with my older relatives it's always such a tough memory. Every single one of them can remember exactly where they were at.

My Dad often reflects on the death of JFK.  In his mind if the assassination doesn't happen, American history is re-written.  Viet Nam doesn't become what it did.  U.S. politics doesn't become what it does.  Pretty much changes everything.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rico said:

My Dad often reflects on the death of JFK.  In his mind if the assassination doesn't happen, American history is re-written.  Viet Nam doesn't become what it did.  U.S. politics doesn't become what it does.  Pretty much changes everything.

Didnt JFK want end the Federal Reserve?

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I always go back to the scene in JFK where Donald Sutherland outlines how history was rewritten after Kennedy assassination. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just a part of many theories as to who wanted JFK gone and why...

CIA

Military industrial complex

Mafia

Castro

Russians

Take your pick...

Interesting that the Middle-East isn't on your list.  I wonder how JFK would have handled OPEC.

I had to go to Dallas on business years ago and was there over the weekend.  Went to Dealy Plaza.  It was quite surreal seeing the Book Depository Bldg, the grassy knoll area, and how small the entire plaza actually is.  As a kid, seeing it on tv, it seemed huge.  Going up to the sniper nest was overwhelming... chilling.  Everything came to a halt for a lot of people that day.  Still remember being in school that day.  The announcement to us in our classroom.  I was 13 and confused enough as it was...and this didn't help.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

December 7.  A day that will live in infamy.

Pearl Harbor: The Last Word 

If you ever get a chance to visit the memorial..... do it.  But before you go.  Visit the Punch Bowl that is high on a hill. And overlooks Pearl Harbor and the memorial.  And is where Ernie Pyle is buried.

Ernie Pyle (1900-1945) 

Truly The Greatest Generation...

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Heard Dan Lebetard say that's how many Americans heard about it from Howard Cosell

Back then MNF started at 9 Eastern.  Lennon was pronounced dead at 11:00, so the game would have likely been in the 3rd quarter, though I don't remember for sure.  Don't even recall who was playing.  Just remember Cosell making the announcement.  I was 15 at the time and not a Beatles fan (huge one now), so I didn't really understand how momentous of an event it was at the time.

• Like 1