On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

1. Let it go! It was aa huge deal for our country. But this is not the place.

2. @IUFLA , and others....

Please stop calling out the mods on this. Saying we have one sided rules is nonsense. I know 100% we have wide ranging political and world views in our small group.....some polar opposite from each other.

So it would be impossible for us to have any agenda on either side as we all have our own "side"

Since losing Ken and Eric, keep in mind t is now just me, HH, KDB and HF.

We may not see or address things as quickly as some would like, but we try.

It really gets under my skin when people accuse us of some sort of political partisanship on a freaking sports message board.

This is why colonialcresster was always so adamant.....Zero, and he meant ZERO politics.  

Its so divisive and impassioned that every side feels slighted by any comment we make or action we take .

We are imperfect. But I assure all of you we never try to allow a one sided debate.

@IUFLA , you are a top notch member and incredibly valuable. But think we want a one sided debate, and threaten to cancel your membership?

I take that personal. We work our tails off here to keep this place safe for EVERYBODY. 

Sorry to single you out. I have just heard this too much. And it is frustrating because I KNOW what the mods discuss and how we try to approach things.

Long winded way to say we have no side other than everybody just go to a different forum to discuss these serious issues. This just is not the place.  Regardless of which "side" you are on.

26 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

just once in my life I want to think of a snappy comeback like that in the moment, not three days later in the shower.

Early in my coaching career I was working for a coach doing it for 40 plus years. One Saturday morning after practice a dad comes.in. at this point we are 8-0 untested and his son is our.best player,  captain great kid. DAD goes.on 5 to 10 minutes about how we not using his son, team awful, coach terrible etc. After letting him rant Coach says" Dave do you like to travel?  Doesn't let Dad answer,, Says I do in fact me and my wife love to. We have been blessed to fly all over the world. I have flown over 100 times. I go to airport early just to watch planes take off and land. I have seen thousands take off and land but Dave I would never have the balls to walk into a pilots office and tell him I know more about flying than he does just because I have seen so many fkights.. Dave are we finished here." Yes Coach. He became our best parent.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Going to have to say don’t discuss politics but this sickening, disgusting, treasonous, blatant attack on democracy is utterly horrible to see here in our country. 

12 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Please stop calling out the mods on this. Saying we have one ssided rules is nonsense. I know 100% we have wide ranging political and world views in urban small group.....some polar opposite from each other.

So it would be impossible for us to have any agenda on either side as we all have our own "side"

Since long Ken and Eric, kee in mind t is now just me, HH, KDB and HF.

We not see or address things as quickly as some would like, but we try.

It really gets under my skin when people accuse us of some sort of political partisanship on a freaking sports message board.

This is why colonialcresster was always so adamant.....Zero, and he meant ZERO politics.  

Its so divisive and impassioned that every side feels slighted by any comment we make or action we take .

We are imperfect. But I assure all of you we never try to allow a one sided debate.

@IUFLA , you are a top notch member and incredibly valuable. But t hint we want a new sided debate, and threaten to cancel your membership?

I take that personal. We work our this off here to keep this place safe fOr EVERYBODY. 

Sorry to single you out. I have hust heard this too much. And it is frustrating because I KNOW what the mods discuss and how we try to approach things.

Long winded way to say we have no side other than everybody just go to a different forum t discuss these serious issues. This just is not the place.  Regardless of which "side" you are on.

So, a mod posts what is equivalent to rolling a grenade into a room and I'm the one being called out?

My point was, others see some of the actions over the past 4 years as a "sickening, disgusting, treasonous, blatant attack on democracy" yet if a word had been breathed in that direction it would have immediately been shut down...

I abhor the violence, but let's not act like there wasn't plenty of it this summer...And I didn't hear anybody saying anything then...

You say "Zero, and he meant ZERO politics" but to me, that means absolutely nothing unless you enforce it...and in this case, you absolutely did not...

I had quit this thread in honor of CC once, but your decision to single me out made me reverse that decision...

You want to ban me, go right ahead...But I'll be damned if I'll sit here and let unfairness rule the day...Never have, never will...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Please stop calling out the mods on this. Saying we have one sided rules is nonsense. I know 100% we have wide ranging political and world views in our small group.....some polar opposite from each other.

Since losing Ken and Eric, keep in mind t is now just me, HH, KDB and HF.

We may not see or address things as quickly as some would like, but we try.

@IUFLA , you are a top notch member and incredibly valuable. But think we want a one sided debate, and threaten to cancel your membership?

I take that personal. We work our tails off here to keep this place safe for EVERYBODY. 

Sorry to single you out. I have just heard this too much. And it is frustrating because I KNOW what the mods discuss and how we try to approach things.

Long winded way to say we have no side other than everybody just go to a different forum to discuss these serious issues. This just is not the place.  Regardless of which "side" you are on.

Maybe you need more Mods since the passing of Eric and Ken. 

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So, a mod posts what is equivalent to rolling a grenade into a room and I'm the one being called out?

My point was, others see some of the actions over the past 4 years as a "sickening, disgusting, treasonous, blatant attack on democracy" yet if a word had been breathed in that direction it would have immediately been shut down...

I abhor the violence, but let's not act like there wasn't plenty of it this summer...And I didn't hear anybody saying anything then...

You say "Zero, and he meant ZERO politics" but to me, that means absolutely nothing unless you enforce it...and in this case, you absolutely did not...

I had quit this thread in honor of CC once, but your decision to single me out made me reverse that decision...

You want to ban me, go right ahead...But I'll be damned if I'll sit here and let unfairness rule the day...Never have, never will...

Let's go get a beer my friend and "cool" off.

Edited by rico
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Nobody wants to ban anybody - we try to find every reason to not punish members.

You're speaking of unfairness, and that may be true.  In truth: we're just some dudes.  We're about 30-60 years old, we have very different viewpoints, and we're all at different points in our lives.  By nature of being fundamentally different people, we may approach situations differently.

The small action of attaching "moderator" to our profile doesn't make us any smarter, more wise, or less prone to making mistakes than any one of you here.  By the same token, we try not to act like enlightened pricks.  We discuss issues related to the guidelines for the community deeply and try to approach situations dispassionately, evenly, and with precedent.  But at the end of the day, we're just hall monitors and we're just human.

So if you want to take a stand of principle, that's certainly fine.  My humble request, though, is to let this pitch pass you by - if unfairness exists, it's because we're human and not because we're trying to perpetuate an unfair system.  In fact, we try our very hardest to do the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Nobody wants to ban anybody - we try to find every reason to not punish members.

You're speaking of unfairness, and that may be true.  In truth: we're just some dudes.  We're about 30-60 years old, we have very different viewpoints, and we're all at different points in our lives.  By nature of being fundamentally different people, we may approach situations differently.

The small action of attaching "moderator" to our profile doesn't make us any smarter, more wise, or less prone to making mistakes than any one of you here.  By the same token, we try not to act like enlightened pricks.  We discuss issues related to the guidelines for the community deeply and try to approach situations dispassionately, evenly, and with precedent.  But at the end of the day, we're just hall monitors and we're just human.

So if you want to take a stand of principle, that's certainly fine.  My humble request, though, is to let this pitch pass you by - if unfairness exists, it's because we're human and not because we're trying to perpetuate an unfair system.  In fact, we try our very hardest to do the opposite.

I'm good...A family without the occasional fracas is phony baloney anyway...

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"Turning right to a heading of 090."

:D

The "right" reference wasn't intentional on my part, but I can't assure that it wasn't a Freudian slip... 

:D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had a good PM with @IUFLA and a few others.

Look, these are difficult times. This place is meant to be an escape from the real world. 

I jumped too quickly on @IUFLA. All I ask, just stay clear. Eric always told us, it will never go well. No matter how good the intentions. In his absence, he still seems wise. 

So lets use personal responsibility here. Just avoid it. If any member, admin or mod throws out the bait. Just don't take it.

Close the topic, go discuss basketball.  This has to be a community effort. We are moderators, not enforcers. There is no way we can moderate this conversation properly or fairly.

In this case, I am asking for your help HSN.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I had a good PM with @IUFLA and a few others.

Look, these are difficult times. This place is meant to be an escape from the real world. 

I jumped too quickly on @IUFLA. All I ask, just stay clear. Eric always told us, it will never go well. No matter how good the intentions. In his absence, be still seems wise. 

So lets use personal responsibility here. Just avoid it. If any member, admin or mod throws out the bait. Just don't take it.

Close the topic, go discuss basketball.  This has to be a community effort. We are moderators, not enforcers. There is no way we can moderate this conversation properly or fairly.

In this case, I am asking for your help HSN.

Here is some help(diversion)...

January 1, 1979.

Vietnamese forces took control of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, ousting the Khmer Rouge and its leader, Pol Pot.

*-For you guys too young, might be with your while to research this or better yet watch the 1984 film, "The Killing Fields."  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I never was a Bowie fan.  

I wasn't either until about 10 years ago...Listened to the "Hunky Dory" LP and I was hooked...That and "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" are two of the greatest LPs ever..."Man Who Sold the World" is another favorite...

My youngest daughter (who loves older music...Bowie and The Beatles are her favs) and I danced to Bowie's "Kooks" at her wedding...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I wasn't either until about 10 years ago...Listened to the "Hunky Dory" LP and I was hooked...That and "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" are two of the greatest LPs ever..."Man Who Sold the World" is another favorite...

My youngest daughter (who loves older music...Bowie and The Beatles are her favs) and I danced to Bowie's "Kooks" at her wedding...

Maybe the movie "The Hunger" turned me off?

42 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe the movie "The Hunger" turned me off?

Maybe try the movie "The Man Who Fell To Earth".  Bowie plays an alien trying to save his planet.  Book written by Walter Tevis (The Hustler, The Queen's Gambit, The Color Of Money)....directed by Nicholas Roeg... other cast members Rip Torn, Buck Henry, Candy Clark....released 1976.  😁

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

Maybe try the movie "The Man Who Fell To Earth".  Bowie plays an alien trying to save his planet.  Book written by Walter Tevis (The Hustler, The Queen's Gambit, The Color Of Money)....directed by Nicholas Roeg... other cast members Rip Torn, Buck Henry, Candy Clark....released 1976.  😁

I will check it out and TY.