On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

On 6/5/2020 at 9:28 AM, Seeking6 said:

As a kid growing up in Northern Illinois we loved Reagan. Not for his Presidency because we were still pretty young to care much....but it meant field trip day to his hometown of Dixon (he was born in Tampico). We loved him as much as Casimir Pulaski which usually meant another day off in November I believe.

Regarding thread I'll add this. x3 on Reagan. 

Pulaski 🇵🇱 

Kosciuszko 🇵🇱

Kossuth 🇭🇺 

Havel  🇨🇿 

Lafayette 🇫🇷 

great to see Illinois honor a truly great man 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 4:42 AM, Madison22 said:

Old Ironsides.

She went 33-0 in sea battles.  Better than the 32-0 1976 NCAA championship team.

On this day in history, Oct. 21, 1797, legendary warship USS Constitution launched in Boston

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-day-history-oct-21-1797-legendary-warship-uss-constitution-launched-boston

Coming back to this.  Learned something new this morning.  The white oaks used for restoring and refitting the USS Constitution are grown in a place called "Constitution Grove" on Crane NSWC in Martin County, IN.

Why the US Navy Manages Its Own Private Forest | Military.com

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Gotta be the most successful commercial product of all time, right?  This is just from the top of the head, but it has changed... everything

Yep...My middle daughter had the first one I ever saw...She let me monkey around with it for about 15 minutes, and I told my wife, "We're going to the ATT store tomorrow."

I've switched to Android phones, but the ability to have an encyclopedia of knowledge, access to news, weather, sports, and interpret any language right in your pocket belongs to Apple...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Gotta be the most successful commercial product of all time, right?  This is just from the top of the head, but it has changed... everything

What I find hard to believe is it was only 17 years ago! Seems like we’ve had them a lot longer than that!

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yep...My middle daughter had the first one I ever saw...She let me monkey around with it for about 15 minutes, and I told my wife, "We're going to the ATT store tomorrow."

I've switched to Android phones, but the ability to have an encyclopedia of knowledge, access to news, weather, sports, and interpret any language right in your pocket belongs to Apple...

I'm Android as well. Don't forget the flashlights, cameras, calculators and other gadgets that are no longer needed since they are on the phone.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm Android as well. Don't forget the flashlights, cameras, calculators and other gadgets that are no longer needed since they are on the phone.

Not to mention live tv and unlimited movies and music! Oh and you can call someone halfway around the world and video chat!

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Soon to be wallets too... Texas legislature is instituting electronic drivers licenses by next year, and I already use Google Pay 99% of the time...

Gotta get the military on board with IDs and I'll be set! 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Soon to be wallets too... Texas legislature is instituting electronic drivers licenses by next year, and I already use Google Pay 99% of the time...

Gotta get the military on board with IDs and I'll be set! 

I really dislike carrying anything in my pockets (phone included, but I will NEVER have one of those belt clips, lol); my iPhone case is one of those card holders (3 CCs & ID) and that's it. Rarely have cash on hand.

Now with electronic key fobs and touch button door locks, it's becoming even more paired down, which I like.

Only a matter of time until "Apple-Vision" becomes standard in glasses/contacts, and other implements get smaller and more streamlined.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...