On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, Scott, and the vast majority of Americans didn't have electricity and used horses for transportation...

Progress...

I know and not saying it should be that way now.  Just think it is bad that a starter can't go past 6 innings in todays game.  Back in the 70's and 80's you saw most starters go into the 7th and 8th inning regularly and it did not seem to effect their careers like babying pitchers today. 

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know and not saying it should be that way now.  Just think it is bad that a starter can't go past 6 innings in todays game.  Back in the 70's and 80's you saw most starters go into the 7th and 8th inning regularly and it did not seem to effect their careers like babying pitchers today. 

All about the money...

I think the thing that concerns me the most is the size of pitching staffs compared to 20 years ago. 10 pitchers was the standard for years. Lately it's been 12 and sometimes 13. Of course, leaves less bench players, and is probably a boost to those favor the DH which I despise.

Baseball use to be a great game of strategy...now, fill out the lineup card, and the manager is done...

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

All about the money...

I think the thing that concerns me the most is the size of pitching staffs compared to 20 years ago. 10 pitchers was the standard for years. Lately it's been 12 and sometimes 13. Of course, leaves less bench players, and is probably a boost to those favor the DH which I despise.

Baseball use to be a great game of strategy...now, fill out the lineup card, and the manager is done...

Remember a time when you had a guy on your roster which was mainly a pinch hitter and nothing else.  Also had a guy who pretty much was just a late inning guy who came in to pinch run.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Scott, just curious why you chose to call this "bad"?  Do you mean bad for the game?  The fans?  The starting pitcher?  How is it bad?  Just trying to understand why you chose that word to describe your thoughts.  Warren Spahn started 665 games in his career and had 382 complete games.  So, I understand your point, I guess.  But why is the change bad?   Hope things are going better for you after your battle with covid.

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Scott, just curious why you chose to call this "bad"?  Do you mean bad for the game?  The fans?  The starting pitcher?  How is it bad?  Just trying to understand why you chose that word to describe your thoughts.  Warren Spahn started 665 games in his career and had 382 complete games.  So, I understand your point, I guess.  But why is the change bad?   Hope things are going better for you after your battle with covid.

To me it is bad for the game that I grew up watching and loved that style of baseball.  I just don't enjoy the style of game today than I did in the past.  I don't like how much analytics are used in the game today.  I enjoyed a good pitching duel between two great starters who were allowed to go deep into games.  I think all the pitching changes hurt the flow of the game and just slows the pace to much.

As for me and the battle with the virus it seems to be getting better and all of my test had come back well.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Remember a time when you had a guy on your roster which was mainly a pinch hitter and nothing else.  Also had a guy who pretty much was just a late inning guy who came in to pinch run.

Yeah, the good old days...I remember Ed Armbrister was the Reds quasi pinch running guy for a while in the 70s, although he did get some ABs...

The only guy I ever knew that was solely a pinch runner was Herb Washington for the 74 As World Series Champs...of  course, his lack of baseball acumen almost did the A's in against the Dodgers...

Edited by IUFLA

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it is bad for the game that I grew up watching and loved that style of baseball.  I just don't enjoy the style of game today than I did in the past.  I don't like how much analytics are used in the game today.  I enjoyed a good pitching duel between two great starters who were allowed to go deep into games.  I think all the pitching changes hurt the flow of the game and just slows the pace to much.

As for me and the battle with the virus it seems to be getting better and all of my test had come back well.

Thanks, Scott.  That was what I thought you meant and I tend to agree.  Homeruns and hundred mph relievers are what the game has and continues to evolve into these days.  There used to be guys like Spahn, but there were more guys who had three, four, five good years and were done.  And that eventually, along with baseball becoming a BIG business with tv contracts, led to franchises/owners putting greater value on some players.  But you know all this already.   😊. Take care...stay safe...and enjoy your grandkid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Thanks, Scott.  That was what I thought you meant and I tend to agree.  Homeruns and hundred mph relievers are what the game has and continues to evolve into these days.  There used to be guys like Spahn, but there were more guys who had three, four, five good years and were done.  And that eventually, along with baseball becoming a BIG business with tv contracts, led to franchises/owners putting greater value on some players.  But you know all this already.   😊. Take care...stay safe...and enjoy your grandkid.

Can I add to this ?  Get RID of instant replay. That is not what this game is about. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Can I add to this ?  Get RID of instant replay. That is not what this game is about. 

Heck, Mile...we're likely looking at electronically called balls/strikes fairly soon.  While I don't disagree with your point, I can see the game being changed even more in the future.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

Heck, Mile...we're likely looking at electronically called balls/strikes fairly soon.  While I don't disagree with your point, I can see the game being changed even more in the future.  

Instant replay in basketball, and football is ok by me.  However. Not for baseball. What makes the game great is the call by the umps. Right or wrong. Then the fans have got something to talk about.   And I know they are talking about electronic calling balls and strikes.  Why not just destroy the game all together ? 

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Instant replay in basketball, and football is ok by me.  However. Not for baseball. What makes the game great is the call by the umps. Right or wrong. Then the fans have got something to talk about.   And I know they are talking about electronic calling balls and strikes.  Why not just destroy the game all together ? 

For us it's destroy...But for a younger generation of video gamers, it's re-envision or reinvent the game to make it more interesting...and shorter.

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

For us it's destroy...But for a younger generation of video gamers, it's re-envision or reinvent the game to make it more interesting...and shorter.

And to think. There was a time when MLB had double headers.  And you did not have to leave between games. 

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Exactly!  Those were the best!  As Ernie said, "Let's play two."   😊

Wasn't even thinking of Mr. Cub's famous quote, when I made my post. Sunday double headers in Wrigley Field were the best !

And apologies to Rico for taking this thread off topic.

Oh. I guess. Tomorrow is another day.  LOL

• Haha 1