On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

4 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Remember watching it live. Hard to believe it was 51 years ago. Many if the youngins on here weren't even hatched yet.

My Dad took a home movie of the family watching it.  I was in it...I had just turned 2.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rico said:

My Dad took a home movie of the family watching it.  I was in it...I had just turned 2.

I think I've said this on here before, but it was part of the best vacation we ever had..,Martinsville, to Gaitlinburg, to St, Augustine, up early to drive down and watch the moon launch from a bridge near Cape Kennedy, then Fort Lauderdale, Key West, back up to Alligator Alley, and across to visit my Aunt and Uncle in Port Charlotte...My Old Man loved the space program...he just had to see it...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think I've said this on here before, but it was part of the best vacation we ever had..,Martinsville, to Gaitlinburg, to St, Augustine, up early to drive down and watch the moon launch from a bridge near Cape Kennedy, then Fort Lauderdale, Key West, back up to Alligator Alley, and across to visit my Aunt and Uncle in Port Charlotte...My Old Man loved the space program...he just had to see it...

It's funny the things you remember out of nowhere as a kid. LC39 was a code I never forgot. Can't remember which actual mission it was in the mid 80's but my grandparents lived in Leesburg, FL which was 100 miles or so away from launch. Still can see (I believe Discovery) taking off and even though we were 100 miles away it lit up the entire horizon. Very cool stuff. My grandfather flew in the Army, had a small private cessna.....was always big into aviation and space program.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Jeopardy host Alex Trebek was born 80 years ago today. My favorite Canadian

Just heard on the radio this morning that Alex wants to have the only remaining Golden Girl to take over for him when he’s done.

Who is that?

Jeopardy is replaying shows from their first 10 years, and last night's show was one of the first aired. What was really aggravating is that back then, players could ring in immediately, even before Alex started reading the answer. It appeared they didn't give the contestant as much time to respond either.

Interestingly, on this episode, all 3 contestants bet it all on Final Jeopardy, and all 3 answered incorrectly. I think in the preview for the show, Alec said that it was the only time in the show's long history that all 3 contestants ended the game at zero.

The next episode brought in 3 new people. They did not let ties come back the next day.

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Speaking of Luck, no not Andrew, my favorite game show as a kid was Press Your Luck. Big money no whammies!!!!

Mine was always the $10,000 Pyramid ($8.50 after taxes)...

I know it eventually graduated to $100,000 which only shows my age...

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Cue Scott in 5, 4 3, 2 .....

This is right in his alley about starting pitchers 

Well last night on MLB network they were talking the last time the season was 60 games long.  It was 1889 and on one of the teams had a pitcher who pitched 57 of those games and all were complete games.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well last night on MLB network they were talking the last time the season was 60 games long.  It was 1889 and on one of the teams had a pitcher who pitched 57 of those games and all were complete games.

Yes, Scott, and the vast majority of Americans didn't have electricity and used horses for transportation...

Progress...