On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

17 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

DD said around 1240 there are some pictures on the internet recently and Luck is seriously skinny and hopes nothing is wrong with him.  

There were a few floating around 4 years ago. Here's one a couple months before camp started that year at his book club he does.

Andrew Luck.jpg

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Chaim Weitz turns 72 today. Most of us know him as The Demon, Gene Simmons of Kiss. Happy Birthday  Gene

I read not long ago about a roadie calling him Chaim in front of fans and then having to run from a very pissed Gene.  Fun personality and some great sing-a-longs, but in the grand scheme of things, KISS wasn't really a talented musical band and it seems Gene was a pretty big douche to work with.

Recently, he's been feuding with David Lee Roth (who's probably also a douche to work with) and kicked him off their current tour.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I read not long ago about a roadie calling him Chaim in front of fans and then having to run from a very pissed Gene.  Fun personality and some great sing-a-longs, but in the grand scheme of things, KISS wasn't really a talented musical band and it seems Gene was a pretty big douche to work with.

Recently, he's been feuding with David Lee Roth (who's probably also a douche to work with) and kicked him off their current tour.

There was a 2 part KISS documentary that I did find interesting. He marketed the heck out of KISS and lived the American dream coming from absolutely nothing to where he is today. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There was a 2 part KISS documentary that I did find interesting. He marketed the heck out of KISS and lived the American dream coming from absolutely nothing to where he is today. 

Yeah, I think KISS were better showmen than musicians.  Nothing wrong with that.  They are entertaining even if Gene is a real life douche.  Gotta respect his marketing savvy...at their peak, I can't think of any band who was bigger.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I think KISS were better showmen than musicians.  Nothing wrong with that.  They are entertaining even if Gene is a real life douche.  Gotta respect his marketing savvy...at their peak, I can't think of any band who was bigger.

Went and saw them at Market Square in the mid 70s...the glitz, the energy, and the fact that 99% of the crowd thought "Christ, I could write better songs and play better than that!" was their hook...to me, the consummate garage band (with makeup!)...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 3:08 PM, NotIThatLives said:

DD said around 1240 there are some pictures on the internet recently and Luck is seriously skinny and hopes nothing is wrong with him.  

Ok, DD might be on to something. The first picture is Luck from 2 years ago, right before sh*t hit the fan. The second is from a few weeks ago when he was in Colorado. 

Andrew-Luck-verticalAndrew-Luck-vertical.jpg

E9pSpEVVgAEXeoc.jpeg

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

As was the First Battle of Bull Run...

If anything both proved leadership can prevail over numbers...

I just didn't learn too much about Civil War history in school.  We barely covered it.  But I remember my teacher pointing out what he thought were the 2 big things at the start.

(1)  Lee didn't agree with the secession.  But being a Virginian came 1st.

(2)  Lincoln appointing McClellan as the Commander of the Union Army.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I just didn't learn too much about Civil War history in school.  We barely covered it.  But I remember my teacher pointing out what he thought were the 2 big things at the start.

(1)  Lee didn't agree with the secession.  But being a Virginian came 1st.

(2)  Lincoln appointing McClellan as the Commander of the Union Army.

From what I read, your teacher was right...

Lincoln made a couple of bad choices for Commander of the Union Army from the beginning... McClellan and Henry Halleck...

When Lincoln replaced Halleck with Grant, Halleck told Lincoln, "The man's a drunkard!"

Supposedly Lincoln replied, "Find out what he drinks. I want to send the rest of our generals a barrel." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

From what I read, your teacher was right...

Lincoln made a couple of bad choices for Commander of the Union Army from the beginning... McClellan and Henry Halleck...

When Lincoln replaced Halleck with Grant, Halleck told Lincoln, "The man's a drunkard!"

Supposedly Lincoln replied, "Find out what he drinks. I want to send the rest of our generals a barrel." 

I have heard that one before.

McClellan had Lee on the run and cut off pursuit at Antietam....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

On this day in history 

California became a state

Congress names our country United States of America 

Harland Sanders is born

I've probably mentioned it before, but the History Channel had a fascinating and entertaining mini series called (I believe) The Food That Built America.  One of the early episodes included a segment on Harland Sanders and I found it highly entertaining.  In one scene, Harland caught someone painting over one of his billboards and he shot at the guy with a 12 gauge.  It was the most Kentucky thing ever...🤣

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I've probably mentioned it before, but the History Channel had a fascinating and entertaining mini series called (I believe) The Food That Built America.  One of the early episodes included a segment on Harland Sanders and I found it highly entertaining.  In one scene, Harland caught someone painting over one of his billboards and he shot at the guy with a 12 gauge.  It was the most Kentucky thing ever...🤣

Was the billboard in Kentucky or Indiana, his early sales came on the good side of the river