On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Was the billboard in Kentucky or Indiana, his early sales came on the good side of the river

Don't remember, to be honest.  I just assumed Kentucky since that was where he was from and I don't recall them mentioning Indiana.

I do remember that he started by frying chicken in a gas station.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Don't remember, to be honest.  I just assumed Kentucky since that was where he was from and I don't recall them mentioning Indiana.

I do remember that he started by frying chicken in a gas station.

Actually, Colonel Sanders was born in Henryville, Indiana.  And the Colonel is the one that gave Dave Thomas(Wendy's) his start out of Fort Wayne.

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

And Dave Thomas designed the red and white bucket I do believe

Yeah he did!  We talked about this year ago on the site.  IIRC, the Colonel propositioned Dave in Fort Wayne about turning some KFC franchises around in Columbus, Ohio.  Dave did, with marketing ideas along the way, and part of his pay was stake in those particular KFC franchises.  Dave ended up selling his "stock" and started Wendy's.  There is a documentary on his life as well that is interesting.  But it is ironic that 2 moguls of fast food shared a history together.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah he did!  We talked about this year ago on the site.  IIRC, the Colonel propositioned Dave in Fort Wayne about turning some KFC franchises around in Columbus, Ohio.  Dave did, with marketing ideas along the way, and part of his pay was stake in those particular KFC franchises.  Dave ended up selling his "stock" and started Wendy's.  There is a documentary on his life as well that is interesting.  But it is ironic that 2 moguls of fast food shared a history together.

And that the history shared had a big part right here in Indiana

This is from Harland's Wikipedia entry:

1930–1952: Later career

In 1930, the Shell Oil Company offered Sanders a service station in North Corbin, Kentucky, rent free, in return for paying the company a percentage of sales.[7] Sanders began to serve chicken dishes and other meals such as country ham and steaks.[21] Initially he served the customers in his adjacent living quarters before opening a restaurant. It was during this period that Sanders was involved in a shootout with Matt Stewart, a local competitor, over the repainting of a sign directing traffic to his station. Stewart killed a Shell employee who was with Sanders and was convicted of murder, eliminating Sanders's competition.[22] Sanders was commissioned as a Kentucky colonel in 1935 by Kentucky governor Ruby Laffoon. His local popularity grew, and, in 1939, food critic Duncan Hines visited Sanders's restaurant and included it in Adventures in Good Eating, his guide to restaurants throughout the US. 

The Wikipedia entry was full of other gems that seemed in line with what I remember from the documentary:

He worked the job for nearly three years until he was fired for "insubordination" 

Sanders lost his job at Illinois after brawling with a colleague.

His legal career ended after a courtroom brawl with his own client destroyed his reputation.

Sanders got a job selling life insurance for the Prudential Life Insurance Company.[7] Sanders was eventually fired for insubordination.

Here's the whole story according to Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1

Dave Thomas per Wiki....

In the mid-1950s, Kentucky Fried Chicken founder Col. Harland Sanders came to Fort Wayne to find restaurateurs with established businesses in order to try to sell KFC franchises to them. At first, Thomas, who was the head cook at a restaurant, and the Clauss family declined Sanders's offer, but Sanders persisted, and the Clauss family franchised their restaurant with KFC and later also owned many other KFC franchises in the Midwest. During this time, Thomas worked with Sanders on many projects to make KFC more profitable and to give it brand recognition. Among other things Thomas suggested to Sanders, that were implemented, was that KFC reduce the number of items on the menu and focus on a signature dish. Thomas also suggested Sanders make commercials in which he would appear. Thomas was sent by the Clauss family in the mid-1960s to help turn around four failing KFC stores they owned in Columbus, Ohio.[11]

By 1968 Thomas had increased sales in the four fried chicken restaurants so much that he sold his share in them back to Sanders for more than $1.5 million.[12] This experience would prove invaluable to Thomas when he began Wendy's about a year later.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This is from Harland's Wikipedia entry:

1930–1952: Later career

In 1930, the Shell Oil Company offered Sanders a service station in North Corbin, Kentucky, rent free, in return for paying the company a percentage of sales.[7] Sanders began to serve chicken dishes and other meals such as country ham and steaks.[21] Initially he served the customers in his adjacent living quarters before opening a restaurant. It was during this period that Sanders was involved in a shootout with Matt Stewart, a local competitor, over the repainting of a sign directing traffic to his station. Stewart killed a Shell employee who was with Sanders and was convicted of murder, eliminating Sanders's competition.[22] Sanders was commissioned as a Kentucky colonel in 1935 by Kentucky governor Ruby Laffoon. His local popularity grew, and, in 1939, food critic Duncan Hines visited Sanders's restaurant and included it in Adventures in Good Eating, his guide to restaurants throughout the US. 

The Wikipedia entry was full of other gems that seemed in line with what I remember from the documentary:

He worked the job for nearly three years until he was fired for "insubordination" 

Sanders lost his job at Illinois after brawling with a colleague.

His legal career ended after a courtroom brawl with his own client destroyed his reputation.

Sanders got a job selling life insurance for the Prudential Life Insurance Company.[7] Sanders was eventually fired for insubordination.

Here's the whole story according to Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

The Colonel was a fightin man

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Dave Thomas per Wiki....

In the mid-1950s, Kentucky Fried Chicken founder Col. Harland Sanders came to Fort Wayne to find restaurateurs with established businesses in order to try to sell KFC franchises to them. At first, Thomas, who was the head cook at a restaurant, and the Clauss family declined Sanders's offer, but Sanders persisted, and the Clauss family franchised their restaurant with KFC and later also owned many other KFC franchises in the Midwest. During this time, Thomas worked with Sanders on many projects to make KFC more profitable and to give it brand recognition. Among other things Thomas suggested to Sanders, that were implemented, was that KFC reduce the number of items on the menu and focus on a signature dish. Thomas also suggested Sanders make commercials in which he would appear. Thomas was sent by the Clauss family in the mid-1960s to help turn around four failing KFC stores they owned in Columbus, Ohio.[11]

By 1968 Thomas had increased sales in the four fried chicken restaurants so much that he sold his share in them back to Sanders for more than $1.5 million.[12] This experience would prove invaluable to Thomas when he began Wendy's about a year later.

@rico no action on my trivia question whats up??

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Colonel was a fightin man

Indeed he was.  I remember reading he had quite a temper as a young man, but that he mellowed into a very kindly gent as he aged.  Was even baptized late in life.

His story stuck out as one of the more colorful ones in that History series.  highly recommend it if you run across it.

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

On this day in 1973 Billie Jean King defeated Bobby Riggs in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3.  Riggs told King afterwards, "I underestimated you.".  Riggs was 55 and King 29.

That and Evil Knivel's Snake River Canyon jump were the 2 biggest sports con jobs in the 70s...

• Like 1