On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Vince Lombardi was born this day 1913.

One of my favorite coaches of all time, even if he did coach my team's arch-rival...

If you've never watched the 2 part "A Football Life" about him, it's one of the better ones in the series...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not really history but sports related. On this day in 1973 the Dodgers started Cey, Russell, Lopes, and Garvey for the first time ever. They stayed together for 8+ years.

And I despised them the whole time...

Especially Garvey...Cey and Lopes got partial redemption for playing for the Cubs, but Garvey still sucks...

• Like 1

Steve Garvey tried to cultivate a Boy Scout image when he was a player but he’s been a disaster off the field.  Deadbeat.  Huge debts.  Cheated on his wife. Kids out of wedlock.  The number of kids he has is in Cromartie territory (the defensive back who hilariously tried to rattle off his kids on Hard Knocks).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And I despised them the whole time...

Especially Garvey...Cey and Lopes got partial redemption for playing for the Cubs, but Garvey still sucks...

I always loved the story that someone in the locker room filled his glove with shaving cream and he supposedly went over the top ballistic!

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Steve Garvey tried to cultivate a Boy Scout image when he was a player but he’s been a disaster off the field.  Deadbeat.  Huge debts.  Cheated on his wife. Kids out of wedlock.  The number of kids he has is in Cromartie territory (the defensive back who hilariously tried to rattle off his kids on Hard Knocks).

I remember watching a Dean Martin roast once, and Red Buttons said as they were sitting together on the dais, "There's Don Rickels who every year attends the Breeders Cup, and Steve Garvey who tries to win it."

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2