On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

31 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Wilt scores 100!!

He was the guy who mastered the fade away jump shot.  Won the high jump at 1957 Drake Relays.  Saw him play against the Big O in the old Cincinnati Gardens when I was a kid.  One amazing athlete for sure.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not to derail but just wanted to chime in on that stat. Obviously 100 is unreal...but so was averaging 48.5 minutes per game in 61-62 when games were only 48 minutes. 

In that 61 62 season he did not come out of a single game. Played every game every second except 8 minutes in which he was ejected. Avg 50 puts 26 reb 5 assists. 

Only center to ever lead NBA in assists for a season. Averaged 50 points a game for a 117 game stretch. No player but Wilt has gone 15 for 15 from the floor. He did it 3 times.

Just some of the ridiculous stats

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

In that 61 62 season he did not come out of a single game. Played every game every second except 8 minutes in which he was ejected. Avg 50 puts 26 reb 5 assists. 

Only center to ever lead NBA in assists for a season. Averaged 50 points a game for a 117 game stretch. No player but Wilt has gone 15 for 15 from the floor. He did it 3 times.

Just some of the ridiculous stats

Seems odd to say...but he is highly under rated when talking the NBA greats.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Very much so. I always go to the usual suspects but always curious why I never say Wilt. 

Possibly due to the era in which he played.  Individual stats/accomplishments weren't seen as being as important as NBA championships.  I think people think/remember that being an era dominated by the Celtics.  The Big O suffers somewhat in the same way, in my opinion.

• Like 3

Just now, jv1972iu said:

Possibly due to the era in which he played.  Individual stats/accomplishments weren't seen as being as important as NBA championships.  I think people think/remember that being an era dominated by the Celtics.  The Big O suffers somewhat in the same way, in my opinion.

That is why I have 2 categories the players I have seen live or those I only saw on tape. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

My father in law is 74 and we were talking baseball and the all time greats on his list are the guys he saw growing up . MAys, Clemente etc.  For me its Griffey but I can recognize that over the history of baseball they can be in the same sentence and put in order based on who saw them live.

• Like 2

@Billingsley99 @Seeking6

You guys being able to remember where you were just shows how great of a moment that was. 

I was about 8 years old at the time. Just old enough to remember how great those teams were but too young to remember to many specifics. But got all of their autographs in a scrapbook. And met most of them. The most I can remember his how hard Henderson threw it down when dunked it. Hard to pick a favorite from those teams but he was my favorite player at the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Billingsley99 @Seeking6

You guys being able to remember where you were just shows how great of a moment that was. 

I was about 8 years old at the time. Just old enough to remember how great those teams were but too young to remember to many specifics. But got all of their autographs in a scrapbook. And met most of them. The most I can remember his how hard Henderson threw it down when dunked it. Hard to pick a favorite from those teams but he was my favorite player at the time. 

I can tell you exactly where I sat for when IU/Ohio St my freshman year came to town (91-92 game)....top row of balcony literally 2 seats from wall. That was the Jimmy Jackson final year if the brain is working. 

I can also say in those days we got 4 or 6 tickets a year....when the Fab 5 came to town I was row 14 or so behind basket closest to our bench. I can also say when I was a freshman in high school....I was literally 11 rows up when pudwack Nick Anderson hit the shot vs us. 

If given some time I could probably rattle off another 20 games. Every time I walk in the joint it's a memory. Fun times for sure!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I can tell you exactly where I sat for when IU/Ohio St my freshman year came to town (91-92 game)....top row of balcony literally 2 seats from wall. That was the Jimmy Jackson final year if the brain is working. 

I can also say in those days we got 4 or 6 tickets a year....when the Fab 5 came to town I was row 14 or so behind basket closest to our bench. I can also say when I was a freshman in high school....I was literally 11 rows up when pudwack Nick Anderson hit the shot vs us. 

If given some time I could probably rattle off another 20 games. Every time I walk in the joint it's a memory. Fun times for sure!

My dad took me to Assembly hall when it was called midnight madness and we always sat midway center court below the balcony on the west side.  Back when the place would be full for a practice essentially.

He never took me to the hall but we did go to the 94 IU vs pUKe game at the old Hoosier Dome. We walked around circle center mall and there was an iu memorabilia store.  Saw a framed picture of RMK and Brian Evans getting some coaching.  I wanted it and he bought it and said good choice. Still have it. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I had front row under the basket when Michigan ended our 44 or something like that home win streak. Met Dickie V that morning at the bookstore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

March 5th, 1982.  John Belushi dies of a drug overdose at the age of 33.

This was my first introduction to death of a celebrity I liked. After Blues Brothers and Neighbors he was a legend in our house growing up.....so many get caught up and can't get out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This was my first introduction to death of a celebrity I liked. After Blues Brothers and Neighbors he was a legend in our house growing up.....so many get caught up and can't get out.

Dan Akroyd famously told Jim Belushi at John's funeral..."Jimmy, if your brother had been a pothead he would still be alive."  Jim owns a "pot farm" now.

I also think John Belushi is an answer to a trivia question as at one time he had the #1 album on the music charts, the #1 movie, and was in the #1 TV show for it's time slot all the same time.

I was in high school at the time of his passing...his death rocked our world in that small school.

• Like 2