On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It is now in the Alcatraz museum in Gatlinburg. Pretty cool place to visit 

I remember going to a museum in Gatlinburg in 1969, although I'm not sure it was that one...The only display I remember from it was about native Tennessean Sgt Alvin York...

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I remember going to a museum in Gatlinburg in 1969, although I'm not sure it was that one...The only display I remember from it was about native Tennessean Sgt Alvin York...

This one is a newer museum devoted to crime artifacts.  We saw OJ bronco, and Ted Bundys VW Beetle. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rico said:

May 25th, 1935.  Babe Ruth hits his 714th HR.

Does anybody else remember that the number Ruth was credited with for years was 713?

As Aaron approached that mark, they "found" another HR to give him credit for...

Also, my druggie friends back in the 70s thought 714 was a cool number 😎 

*edit: my bad...Ruth was given credit for 715 for about a week in 1969, but it was ultimately dismissed...

Story here...

Edited by IUFLA

• 2 weeks later...

Some big events on this day!

• 1919 US Congress passes the Women's Suffrage Bill, the 19th Amendment
  • 1940 British complete the "Miracle of Dunkirk" by evacuating 338,226 allied troops from France via a flotilla of over 800 vessels including Royal Navy destroyers, merchant marine boats, fishing boats, pleasure craft and even lifeboats
  • 1942 Battle of Midway begins; Japan's 1st major defeat in WW II
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

June 6, 1944

Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit.jpg

When I was 18 I was worried about what to bring to IU and which fraternity I was going to join. When I see photos like this I always say two things. I can't imagine what pending death feels like....and I say thank you to those who have or are serving. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

When I was 18 I was worried about what to bring to IU and which fraternity I was going to join. When I see photos like this I always say two things. I can't imagine what pending death feels like....and I say thank you to those who have or are serving. 

I remeber when I was 18, a group of my friends and I were gathered in a dorm room listening to the radio. As it turned out it was the very last draft lottery. The night was bitter sweet, as my number came up 252 so  I wasn't going to Viet Nam, but my friends number was 3! I saw him one time shortly after Marine Boot Camp, he was already a changed man! I never heard whether he made it back?

Thank you to all veterans both with us and those who are not!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

So a few days late, anyway 

On June 22, 1967 Alpha Co. of the 2nd/B/503/173 Airborne got into a fight on hill 1338, called the battle of the slopes. Here some audio I took from YouTube.  

Out of a company of about 135 only 23 lived through this. 

Then a few months later they fought the battle of Hill 875.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This happened July 7th, 1993.

Tom Browning left the Reds' dugout and sat out with the rooftop fans at Wrigley.

Manager Davey Johnson fined him $500!

@5fouls@IU Scott surprised I beat you to this one 😜

May be an image of 6 people, child, people standing, crowd and outdoorsT

I saw it earlier, but was not in a situation where I could post it.  Loved it back then when athletes felt comfortable just being regular people.

• Like 1

July 11, 1804: The Duel in which US vice president Aaron Burr mortally wounded US Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton takes place. 

Hamilton was memorialized as the face of the US $10 bill. Burr....well, after about two centuries of infamy and anonymity, he's now best remembered as the name mumbled in a "Got Milk" commercial. 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

July 11, 1804: The Duel in which US vice president Aaron Burr mortally wounded US Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton takes place. 

Hamilton was memorialized as the face of the US $10 bill. Burr....well, after about two centuries of infamy and anonymity, he's now best remembered as the name mumbled in a "Got Milk" commercial. 🤣

The crazy thing is, most duels ended with both parties intentionally missing with their shot and at least somewhat burying the hatchet.  Unfortunately, Hamilton had talked so much 💩 about Burr behind his back that apparently, Burr was hell bent on murder.  Such a shame for him...a rising political star at the time, he would have likely succeeded Jefferson as president if not for the duel.

I love history...so interesting,  so tragic and often so inspiring. Unfortunately, Burr's story, while interesting and tragic, misses inspiring by a wide margin. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The crazy thing is, most duels ended with both parties intentionally missing with their shot and at least somewhat burying the hatchet.  Unfortunately, Hamilton had talked so much 💩 about Burr behind his back that apparently, Burr was hell bent on murder.  Such a shame for him...a rising political star at the time, he would have likely succeeded Jefferson as president if not for the duel.

I love history...so interesting,  so tragic and often so inspiring. Unfortunately, Burr's story, while interesting and tragic, misses inspiring by a wide margin. 

Burr was a power hungry man.  He tried stealing the election from Jefferson(1st term).  Tom never forgave him for that.

5 hours ago, rico said:

Burr was a power hungry man.  He tried stealing the election from Jefferson(1st term).  Tom never forgave him for that.

Jefferson was probably pissed that he wouldn't stand down, but that happens all the time, even in modern day politics.  He was still pretty well regarded until he killed Hamilton.  Even the people that didn't like Hamilton shunned him for that move.  Nothing like murder to make your political career toast.