On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Jefferson was probably pissed that he wouldn't stand down, but that happens all the time, even in modern day politics.  He was still pretty well regarded until he killed Hamilton.  Even the people that didn't like Hamilton shunned him for that move.  Nothing like murder to make your political career toast.

The funny thing is…..apparently this was all legal! Burr was not only never charged, he finished his term!

17 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The funny thing is…..apparently this was all legal! Burr was not only never charged, he finished his term!

Yes...with a twist.  As I recall (I didn't fact check), they had to go from New York (where dueling was outlawed) across the river to Weehauken, NJ where it was still legal.

58 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

As much as I love the $10 bill and other small demononations because more bills make the wallet fat. 

Hamilton was a Federalist and proponent of a Central bank. Thats why he got shot. 

Nah...he made some enemies pushing for a central bank, but it was his 💩 talking about Burr that got him challenged to a duel.

"The two men had long been political rivals, but the immediate cause of the duel was disparaging remarks Hamilton had allegedly made about Burr at a dinner."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Nah...he made some enemies pushing for a central bank, but it was his 💩 talking about Burr that got him challenged to a duel.

"The two men had long been political rivals, but the immediate cause of the duel was disparaging remarks Hamilton had allegedly made about Burr at a dinner."

So basically, 2 assholes get together and nothing good comes from it. Nothing new it seems. 

Whoa...

Shame on me for not checking this thread more often. But this is about to get shut down.

Way too much for me to go back and edit. But some long term, respected posters are hanging on by a thread. 

I know these times are emotional, challenging etc.

But this is NOT the place.

It is blatant disrespect to this forum, and moderators to flip your nose at our rules.

There will be ZERO warnings on this moving forward.

26 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Captain America and Billy

Personally I just can't get into the movie.  Just not my taste.  But from a trivia question perspective it has some good ones.  Toni Basil was in that movie and I still get a kick out of that.  And then there is Phil Spector... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 2:56 PM, IUFLA said:

I'm good...A family without the occasional fracas is phony baloney anyway...

The "right" reference wasn't intentional on my part, but I can't assure that it wasn't a Freudian slip... 

:D 

7 months later, after figuring that this thread would bore me, I in fact got bored and found this. I picked up on the freudian slip right off. I actually did chuckle... 

In closing, I thank god that I was steered to pass by this thread back in January. He saved me again, against all odds. Whew! lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

He and Hal Moore wrote We were soldiers once and young correct? Great book and great movie

Yep. 

This is really good too. Don't know why it's age restricted. It's a CBS interview of Hal Moore and some others returning to Ia drang in 1993. 

Edited by mrflynn03