People I know, Concerning race and Gender!

I know we have already had one thread locked because it got political, hope we can stay civil as these are family members and friends!

First my nieces son and his thoughts on what is going on. He's White and Black. Can't say I always agree with him but you have to feel for him.

https://www.facebook.com/Nick.C.Danna/videos/10220281861430360  

Second my Pastor and his friend Pastor Thornton, his "Brother of another Mother", who have together decided to do their best to break down the walls of Color in Christianity! Warning, it's a 40 minute message, but WELL worth the listen!

Kudos to them for doing this. I'm not a particularly religious person but I agree with several points. It's disingenuous to say we don't see color. It's important to dialogue, but it's especially important to LISTEN for understanding as well as educating ourselves. They don't use this terminology, but I hear a little bit of the ideas around moving from being non-racist to being anti-racist (although maybe that's reading too much in on my part). And I could not agree more with "love more" and greeting everyone with a smile.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Let’s just say in my experience, it’s a lot easier for whites to say that than it is for blacks. Otherwise we probably wouldn’t have what’s going on now.

There is some awkwardness for white people too.  Was in rural king yesterday in jasper Indiana, and a person who happened to be black was in line to pay, I was there to buy a mower and we made eye contact.  I'm just looking around for the power equipment section but I dont want this guy to feel uncomfortable so I move on. But I dont want him to feel like he's being ignored or dismissed either. 

I just wish we could see each other as individuals living life our best and love each other. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

There is some awkwardness for white people too.  Was in rural king yesterday in jasper Indiana, and a person who happened to be black was in line to pay, I was there to buy a mower and we made eye contact.  I'm just looking around for the power equipment section but I dont want this guy to feel uncomfortable so I move on. But I dont want him to feel like he's being ignored or dismissed either. 

I just wish we could see each other as individuals living life our best and love each other. 

Non confrontational question, I agree with you. 

But why didn’t you do what you wish for? Simply ask, “hey, you ever had one of these, know anything about them”? 
if more of that happened, and less feeling awkward, ... the awkward evaporates for err’body.   

7 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Non confrontational question, I agree with you. 

But why didn’t you do what you wish for? Simply ask, “hey, you ever had one of these, know anything about them”? 
if more of that happened, and less feeling awkward, ... the awkward evaporates for err’body.   

Good question, maybe next time I'm lost I will ask someone for help, whoever it is. 

18 hours ago, D-BONE said:

Kudos to them for doing this. I'm not a particularly religious person but I agree with several points. It's disingenuous to say we don't see color. It's important to dialogue, but it's especially important to LISTEN for understanding as well as educating ourselves. They don't use this terminology, but I hear a little bit of the ideas around moving from being non-racist to being anti-racist (although maybe that's reading too much in on my part). And I could not agree more with "love more" and greeting everyone with a smile.

Interesting that you bring up the notion of anti-racist. I watched this video yesterday. A black professor talking about anti-racism. Takes his a few minutes to get there but the last 2/3rds all on that topic. This guy really got me thinking bringing up points I haven't heard before. 

This is starting to vere into politics. Be careful. All the mods are going to jump on this quickly. No arguing. This is just the way it's going to be.

If anyone can't stop themselves from posting political things I politely ask that you do so on the thousands of places where your voices can be heard. We just aren't the place.🙂👍

I’m not sure I had any real intentions when I posted the OP, I guess the messages hit home with me and I wanted to share! It’s really about how we go about OUR daily life and how it affects others. I love D-Bones synopsis, Love more and greet everyone with a smile!

6 hours ago, Reacher said:

Interesting that you bring up the notion of anti-racist. I watched this video yesterday. A black professor talking about anti-racism. Takes his a few minutes to get there but the last 2/3rds all on that topic. This guy really got me thinking bringing up points I haven't heard before. 

I wonder what the Civil-Rights era leaders he alludes to would think of the current protests? I don't think they would minimize their importance or say they were largely useless or misguided. So I think that's rather disingenuous/a bit of stretch. 

Yes there are studies and statistics that back up McWhorter's POV. There at least as many that support the anti-racist POV. So, in that way, I can see him trying to compart it to religion (IOW, a belief that requires the proverbial leap of faith because it's impossible to prove scientifically). However, if you say that you also have to recognize that the exact same thing can be said for the ideology that anti racism is trying to counteract, which is adherence to a "religion" of a system constructed to the benefit of white dominance.

Anti-racism doesn't mean black on black crime is ignored.  Hopefully, that issue is addressed as part of the process both indirectly and directly. McWhorter's is practically portraying anti-racism as some type of hand out to the black community. I disagree. It doesn't exempt anyone from working hard and achieving. It does require all people to dialogue, listen for understanding, and be proactive about progress and justice for minority communities. Specifically for white people, that means not just saying we support those communities (being non-racist), but actively working for progress and justice.

You brought up the WaPo stats in the other thread to argue against implicit bias/systemic racism in law enforcement. Here's a link to add context to that discussion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/09/18/theres-overwhelming-evidence-that-the-criminal-justice-system-is-racist-heres-the-proof/?noredirect=on

33 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I’m not sure I had any real intentions when I posted the OP, I guess the messages hit home with me and I wanted to share! It’s really about how we go about OUR daily life and how it affects others. I love D-Bones synopsis, Love more and greet everyone with a smile!

Sorry to have contributed to it taking a political bent. At the most macro level, I do 100% believe that kindness (smile/love more) should be the top priority. And I am digitally smiling and loving those with whomI have discussed/debated these complex issues in these threads!

27 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

I wonder what the Civil-Rights era leaders he alludes to would think of the current protests? 

D-Bone I think you and so many others like McWhorter and those who have deferential views who dig DEEP for the reasons, it’s like you can’t see the forest for the trees. Or worse those who are blinded by their personal feelings. Your synopsis was simple and perfect! Love more and smile at everyone! It’s that simple!

I’m blessed in that I naturally smile even when I’m having a bad day. I know that when people see my smile they also smile. I have a specific route I take when I go out into the plant to get my steps in. There are people who recognize my smile and lift my life by smiling back at me or more, waving at me or God forbid talking with me! Damn this CV and forcing us to wear masks so we can’t see each other’s smile!
I can tell you the people out in the plant that I purposely search out because of how real our smile relationship is are black! Maybe you and McWhorter should do a study!

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Good question, maybe next time I'm lost I will ask someone for help, whoever it is. 

It's funny you say that.  I live in a somewhat rural area.  Middle of last week I stopped at my local gas station for my coffee on my way into work.  As I am walking back out to my car, the pimpingest ride I have ever seen in these parts pulls up to me.  At first, I thought it might be Fouls, as I know he lives around here somewhere, but alas, as the window rolls down I see a skinny black guy with a UofL hoodie.  He simply asks me for directions back to the interstate.  Clearly this cat was not from around here, and I'm sure he was more intimidated by me than I was of him. At the end of the day, we are all just people trying to get to the end of another day.  To steal the Lynyrd Skynyrd lyric, "Help somebody when you can". 

59 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

D-Bone I think you and so many others like McWhorter and those who have deferential views who dig DEEP for the reasons, it’s like you can’t see the forest for the trees. Or worse those who are blinded by their personal feelings. Your synopsis was simple and perfect! Love more and smile at everyone! It’s that simple!

I’m blessed in that I naturally smile even when I’m having a bad day. I know that when people see my smile they also smile. I have a specific route I take when I go out into the plant to get my steps in. There are people who recognize my smile and lift my life by smiling back at me or more, waving at me or God forbid talking with me! Damn this CV and forcing us to wear masks so we can’t see each other’s smile!
I can tell you the people out in the plant that I purposely search out because of how real our smile relationship is are black! Maybe you and McWhorter should do a study!

That is the case with smiling during Covid. I smile at people when shopping, for example, only to realize how it's rendered useless by my mask. Guess I'll just have to get used to adding the verbal greeting too.

3 hours ago, D-BONE said:

I wonder what the Civil-Rights era leaders he alludes to would think of the current protests? I don't think they would minimize their importance or say they were largely useless or misguided. So I think that's rather disingenuous/a bit of stretch. 

Yes there are studies and statistics that back up McWhorter's POV. There at least as many that support the anti-racist POV. So, in that way, I can see him trying to compart it to religion (IOW, a belief that requires the proverbial leap of faith because it's impossible to prove scientifically). However, if you say that you also have to recognize that the exact same thing can be said for the ideology that anti racism is trying to counteract, which is adherence to a "religion" of a system constructed to the benefit of white dominance.

Anti-racism doesn't mean black on black crime is ignored.  Hopefully, that issue is addressed as part of the process both indirectly and directly. McWhorter's is practically portraying anti-racism as some type of hand out to the black community. I disagree. It doesn't exempt anyone from working hard and achieving. It does require all people to dialogue, listen for understanding, and be proactive about progress and justice for minority communities. Specifically for white people, that means not just saying we support those communities (being non-racist), but actively working for progress and justice.

You brought up the WaPo stats in the other thread to argue against implicit bias/systemic racism in law enforcement. Here's a link to add context to that discussion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/09/18/theres-overwhelming-evidence-that-the-criminal-justice-system-is-racist-heres-the-proof/?noredirect=on

Well said. He did get me thinking about things in a different light. Seems like an interesting guy to have a beer with. 

I think there is lot of relevance to this line from your article- [systematic racism] It means that we have systems and institutions that produce racially disparate outcomes, regardless of the intentions of the people who work within them.

^^ We've left this thread up, for now. As covered in other threads including the recently locked thread, we have real concerns about people letting their politics spill into these threads. These are socially and politically charged topics, that's society. But this isn't society, it's just a basketball board. Let's keep it that way, for everyone's sake.

Guess I'll throw this one in here. For those keeping score at home. 

Isiah Thomas-Pacers Head Coach

Mike Davis-IU Head Coach

Kelvin Sampson-IU Head Coach

Tony Dungy-Colts Head Coach

Jim Caldwell-Colts Head Coach

Darrell Hazell-Purdue Head Coach

Tyrone Willingham-Notre Dame Head Coach

Would love to know a state that's been as progressive as hiring minority coaches as Indiana dating back 2 decades. 

Archived