Big Ten 2020

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Just once I would love for a university to say piss off. We aren't giving you a dime. It would cost more in court battles, but it would be nice to see a university make a statement. Money talks, so the odds of that happening are low, but it would be cool to see once.

Coaches contracts as we all know are completely one sided. It's why it took our former AD 7-8 weeks and hundreds of thousands to get the good on Wilson and force him into taking the minimum buyout. Don't remember many ever working that way. For all we know ND is still paying frontbutt. 

1 minute ago, Sark said:

That former AD did that to cover his butt for extending him 8 months earlier even though he knew there were problems. He didn’t spend hundreds of thousands, he wasted it since the reports concluded Wilson didn’t do anything wrong. The AD hosed himself.

Agree with most of what you said....but that leads to a few other concerns/issues within our AD. Different thread I guess.

With that said.... Wilson didn't do anything wrong might be left to interpretation though? Our former AD did spend hundreds of thousands to save himself and the university millions. Wilson took pennies on the dollar to leave.

Tells me and those advising him(Wilson) that his best move was to leave and leave soon and reinvent yourself. 

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

Wilson and Glass were both spared the indignity of discovery which wouldn’t have reflected well on either of them. Wilson took the money and left because he didn’t want endless litigation and he had grown doubtful about the University’s commitment to building a winning program.

Wilson took $542k on a $12,000,000 plus contract. Endless litigation???? He took 5% to walk because he knew he was wrong. I'm a Wilson fan but he didn't have a leg.

Glass had what he needed. In terms of the IU's commitment to building a winning program? Look at the stadium and facilities over the past 15 years if you've been in Bloomington. We have built some of the nicest facilities in the conference at a basketball school. The commitment and desire is there. It drives the budget. 

29 minutes ago, Sark said:

Wilson would’ve spent a fortune using IU, with no guarantee of winning. He was the same guy the day he got pushed out as he was when he was hired. He wasn’t wrong he was just tired of it. Facilities aren’t any where close to the nicest in the conference, not even top half. There nice but most schools are better. The lack of commitment was the AD and him not knowing what it took to build a good program.

Wilson would have spent of fortune with no guarantee of winning=correct

Same guy he got pushed out as day he was hired=correct

He wasn't wrong just tired of it=incorrect....or he wouldn't have signed the $12M plus earlier the prior year. 

Lack of commitment was the AD and him not knowing what it took to build a good program?=incorrect......

The very person you keep defending (Wilson) is the very person you keep beating up (Glass) or is it vice versa? You spin both ways. Was it Glass not knowing who was a good coach by extending him? Or was it was Wilson who signed a lengthy extension because he didn't believe in Glass or IU? Trying to understand. I know your posting history is usually spot on but trying to figure which way the logic train is moving here.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, rico said:

Well oiled machine. When a program gets up and running/humming like this only way they don't win conference title is an occasional upset (road game) or Big 10 title game with injury to key players. There are several programs who can take turns filling in the 4th playoff spot over coming years but would Bama, Clemson, and Ohio St aren't going anywhere with LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia right there.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Well oiled machine. When a program gets up and running/humming like this only way they don't win conference title is an occasional upset (road game) or Big 10 title game with injury to key players. There are several programs who can take turns filling in the 4th playoff spot over coming years but would Bama, Clemson, and Ohio St aren't going anywhere with LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia right there.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

We need some new blood at the top, IMO.  It might help if Texas, the U, and USC got back to where they should be.  

I agree and I agree. I think Ohio St is on the verge, Ryan Day is young and well equipped with turning OSU into Bama and Clemson. 

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree and I agree. I think Ohio St is on the verge, Ryan Day is young and well equipped with turning OSU into Bama and Clemson. 

I think/feel that tOSU is already with 'Bama and Clemson.

Say what you want, but the U adds fun and pizzazz when they are rolling.  The synergy they get with all the south Florida talent is amazing.  Their formula was to get that elite South Florida talent and then accentuate it with talent from all over.  Off the top of my head, Jim Kelly from Pennsylvania, Bernie Kosar from Ohio, Steve Walsh from Minnesota, Gino Torreta from California and Vinny Testaverde from New York.  Jimmy Johnson was as good of a coach as there’s been.  If he had stayed there’s no telling what his resume would have looked like.  

Link

From the article:

There are very real discussions about playing a regional schedule if you can get away with it. One Big Ten school in the West Division supposedly has a tentative regional schedule in place, including, according to a source at that school, "multiple games against FCS schools." 

Other Big Ten schools are thinking about scrapping the year altogether. 

• I expect Michigan to play at least one home-and-home and potentially two or more with other Big Ten teams, most likely Michigan State, Indiana and Ohio State. I expect Notre Dame to be a very real possibility as a fill-in game because of the location and access via buses. 

It's going to be pretty interesting to see how this season plays out if it does. 

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Say what you want, but the U adds fun and pizzazz when they are rolling.  The synergy they get with all the south Florida talent is amazing.  Their formula was to get that elite South Florida talent and then accentuate it with talent from all over.  Off the top of my head, Jim Kelly from Pennsylvania, Bernie Kosar from Ohio, Steve Walsh from Minnesota, Gino Torreta from California and Vinny Testaverde from New York.  Jimmy Johnson was as good of a coach as there’s been.  If he had stayed there’s no telling what his resume would have looked like.  

And honestly if Howard didn't leave he would have had about 10 titles....and I mean that. 

3 hours ago, Sark said:

Their recruiting platform is legendary, but they’ve not had program leadership on an elite level since Butch. I doubt you’ll see them reassert themselves on the national stage any time soon. Texas and USC won’t, either, though both are in better shape than UM. UF is much better positioned in Florida for a breakthrough, through the going will be tough with UGA and a building UT in the East. OSU has a largely undisturbed path in the BiG and, in Fields, the kind of difference making about that could push them over the top. 

Can't argue on leadership. Very similar to IU in terms of administration handcuffing some of the coaches. Butch is still a legend always will be. Shoot I even thought why not him after Richt quit. Building UM though is all about recruiting and Manny has that part corrected. I don't think Texas or USC are in better shape but that's for another thread. Texas is nothing more than an Iowa with $$$$$. USC has a chance if they could (again with proper admin) get back to dominance. College teams in pro towns just have that advantage if they can get the right guy.

Back on thread though...Ohio St is well groomed for a long run. Maybe not to levels of Clemson, Bama or now LSU but close. Just like with anything you keep putting your team in position to make Final 4's...titles will come.

3 hours ago, Sark said:

Their recruiting platform is legendary, but they’ve not had program leadership on an elite level since Butch. I doubt you’ll see them reassert themselves on the national stage any time soon. 

Replace Butch with Knight, and this describes our basketball program perfectly. 

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Replace Butch with Knight, and this describes our basketball program perfectly. 

In many, many ways we are very close to mirrors of each other. I've been a Canes fan since first time in Orange Bowl in 83. Always been an IU fan but it's amazing to watch over the last 18 years. Proud traditions and for one reason or another can't get out of our own way. 

Archived