Big Ten 2020

7 hours ago, jojo123 said:

The big ten has really screwed the pooch with this political statement. Losing fans and credibility throughout the big landscape. Two Governors and a handful of radical presidents and top admin spreading fear in hopes it would squelch the voices of all. Ha! Not a chance in H... 

I think the Big Ten will reconsider and start to play a conference only schedule by mid-October. Also think they had the best interests of the players, and support staff that surrounded them, in mind but they they or may not have been too careful/cautious.  That being said..why do you leap to the conclusion that this was a political decision by radical presidents? 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Ohio St player opting out. This time Shawn Wade. Each player/family can decide what they think is best for them to do. My question is this. For some of these guys their last football game was January 2020. Minimally looking at 20-21 months before next live game. If I were a NFL GM it would cause me a little concern of drafting someone who hasn't played in that long. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Another Ohio St player opting out. This time Shawn Wade. Each player/family can decide what they think is best for them to do. My question is this. For some of these guys their last football game was January 2020. Minimally looking at 20-21 months before next live game. If I were a NFL GM it would cause me a little concern of drafting someone who hasn't played in that long. 

I think opting out on balance, is a mistake.  Sure, there are risks in playing, but that's always been the case...what's one more risk in a sport that can literally be deadly?

The downside is, you risk falling off the radar and/or being passed up by guys that are playing.  I won't try to play God here because it's each player's call, but my suspicion is, it's a bad move for most who go this route.

Steelers GM

“The one thing, the conferences that chose not to play, and the players that opted out, we understand all that,” Clark said. “Obviously, they are doing it for safety and health, first and foremost, and we respect that. However, the players that get the opportunity to play and choose to play, we feel more comfortable in their evaluations,” Colbert said. “Because I just don’t know, sitting out a year, what those players are going to look like having missed the season. There’s just not a real natural source of information saying, ‘Well, when this player sits out, he’ll be this’ because we just don’t know. We respect the fact that they aren’t playing, but we also have to make the best decisions and I think the best decisions we’ll be able to make are the ones where we can see them play in 2020.”

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Steelers GM

“The one thing, the conferences that chose not to play, and the players that opted out, we understand all that,” Clark said. “Obviously, they are doing it for safety and health, first and foremost, and we respect that. However, the players that get the opportunity to play and choose to play, we feel more comfortable in their evaluations,” Colbert said. “Because I just don’t know, sitting out a year, what those players are going to look like having missed the season. There’s just not a real natural source of information saying, ‘Well, when this player sits out, he’ll be this’ because we just don’t know. We respect the fact that they aren’t playing, but we also have to make the best decisions and I think the best decisions we’ll be able to make are the ones where we can see them play in 2020.”

Thanks for sharing. Been thinking about this for a few weeks. Glad it wasn't just one of my random Monon Trail thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have also said I would not draft guys who set out bowl games

Bowl games I can see because draft along with combine is 90 days out from January...but some of these guys played their last game in January 2020. Investing cap space and honestly your picking history which GM's get scrutinized for in a guy that hadn't played in 20 months is a consideration. It's almost like what Leveon Bell did...we see how he's been since sitting a year out.

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

B1G really sending mixed messages in term of FB this past week. I posted early into this pandemic that FB should me moved to Spring.  NOW... I am saying move it to Spring... and then decide if it should be played at all then. 

Nothing like gearing up for spring football after a national champion has already been crowned.

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.......Tonight huh?........Sooo does that mean toNIGHT as in dark outside/late or...

tonight,as in, shortly around 6, right after supper, out relaxin' on the front porch??🤔🤣

Nap, Little TV, Thelma Lou's, Bottle of Pop - YouTube

Come on with the vote already!!🤗

I'm saying tonight as in when my grandparents are supper... 430 🤣🤣

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Bowl games I can see because draft along with combine is 90 days out from January...but some of these guys played their last game in January 2020. Investing cap space and honestly your picking history which GM's get scrutinized for in a guy that hadn't played in 20 months is a consideration. It's almost like what Leveon Bell did...we see how he's been since sitting a year out.

I have to believe in Bell's case that some of his performance is directly related to the difference between Steelers line execution and the Jets line execution.  I mean, the Jets ain't the Steelers.  😊

17 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I have to believe in Bell's case that some of his performance is directly related to the difference between Steelers line execution and the Jets line execution.  I mean, the Jets ain't the Steelers.  😊

Some, yes.  Ball players don't sit out though. I wish Pouncey would have gotten a hold of him when that went down.  

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Some, yes.  Ball players don't sit out though. I wish Pouncey would have gotten a hold of him when that went down.  

I want to understand you because I'm not a football guy.  So, Bell's performance after leaving the Steelers is maybe more a reflection of him as a player... or you might say, a non player, than the team he runs behind?  He's a cancer, a head case, attitude problem... something along those lines?  And understand, I'm not arguing here.  I can agree he likely has an attitude, but I want your view of what happened after he left Pittsburgh... and joined NY.

28 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I want to understand you because I'm not a football guy.  So, Bell's performance after leaving the Steelers is maybe more a reflection of him as a player... or you might say, a non player, than the team he runs behind?  He's a cancer, a head case, attitude problem... something along those lines?  And understand, I'm not arguing here.  I can agree he likely has an attitude, but I want your view of what happened after he left Pittsburgh... and joined NY.

Oh it's both. Steelers scheme/OL/QB are far superior than the Jets. 

But to me.. he showed up in Pittsburgh and wanted to prove himself and to me was the best or at least the most versatile RB in the league. Now... he's just trying to get paid in my eyes.  

OL is literally the most underrated position in sports. 

Hope all that made sense. 

Archived